Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tire question

Options
  • 29-11-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi

I've a giant rapid 3 2018. It comes with 700x28 tires which are slicks, dunno the correct term.

I'm looking at some mtb tires, not huge chunky ones, just something that can do fields for example, would a 700x35c tire do me? Or a 700x30c? What's the 30ç part, is it the width, ie 700x40 would be chunkier?
    The wheel is a giant gx28 disk wheel set.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

good link above. There is a chart in there that will tell you maximum tyre width for your rim size. The 28c number you refer to is the width (in millimetres) of the tyre.

Going to a bigger tyre also depends on mudguard size (if you have them) width of your fork and chainstays and to a lesser extent your brakes.

If clearances on your forks/chainstays are tight then a larger tyre may rub off the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

Ah right, cheers seaswimmer.

I should have mentioned, I don't have the bike yet so can't see how much clearance I'd have. I guess some googling the bike is required but 28mm to 30c should be safe enough I reckon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

For mostly roads and the occasional field or two, a CX tyre is a good option. Something like Schwalbe CX comp is cheap and does the job nicely. Slicks and wet mucky surfaces are not a good combination. Most hybrid tyres would also be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Drumorig

I was actually looking at those smacl, ended up going for a pair of Schwalbe Land Cruiser 700 x 35c Hybrid Bike Tyres with 2 tubes for 30 delivered off amazon :-)

Advertisement