Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best small home patch panel

• 29-11-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

I have cat 6 wired to 6 rooms.
    All the cables terminate in the same place, where i will install a 6 port patch panel.

A bit of online research indicates that not all small patch panels are equal.

Any recommendations on a make model that is reliable and relatively easy to install?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Of course, if that is your desire, you can introduce termination point - patch panel - for "easy" management. It makes life easy when you dealing with 200, 50, even 24 leads, have multiple switches, VLAN's, multiple networks, etc.,...........but what is to manage on x6 Cat's which you wont be touching ever again.......?
    You could just mark them with thin CD marker 1,2...,6, terminate with RJ45 and plug directly to the switch - no expenses on panel, patch leads and less possible failure points.

I haven't seen many of them but from what i saw, different on them was how "handy/easy" access is for punching (please correct me if I'm wrong). Some might have shielded jacks, shielding termination clamp - you won't need this unless your cables are shielded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

the cables are in the wall and this is for the end in the utility so either it's an rj45 keystone to cable to switch, or it's patch panel to cable to switch.

the cables are already cut and won't reach a switch otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

O well.. in this case of course.

So if cables hanging of the wall and you have no plan to have rack there, surface mounted patch panel would do the job.

Just sample1, sample2

cool, I saw a few of those. but they are all unknown brands with few or no reviews, which is why I'm looking for a recommendation for a known good model.

I've been stung in the past by super cheap components so asking for recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Any amount of surface mount desktop patch panels on Amazon with plenty of reviews

LINK:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

You dont nedd a patch panel. Why dont you just do the same both ends .
    Use rJ45 modules in a back box. It will look neater.

Mockba wrote: »
    You dont nedd a patch panel. Why dont you just do the same both ends .
    Use rJ45 modules in a back box. It will look neater.

I have 8 cat 6 cables comming out of the hole in the wall, a standard blank wont hold that many rj45. It will work out better overall with a patch panel.

Advertisement