Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering offering to buy property I am renting

Options
  • 29-11-2017 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

As the post says I am thinking of looking to buy the property I am renting. Wondering about how I should go about it. I am renting through an agent, but the landlord is known to the neighbours and lives around the corner. However she is quite old (in her 90s) and I don't want to be seen to be taking advantage by a direct approach. I have never met her and unsure how I should proceed.

If I talk to the neighbours and try to contact the landlord directly will this piss of the letting agency? If I can't buy it I would consider renting for longer.

Any experiences on how to approach this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

gargargar wrote: »
    As the post says I am thinking of looking to buy the property I am renting. Wondering about how I should go about it. I am renting through an agent, but the landlord is known to the neighbours and lives around the corner. However she is quite old (in her 90s) and I don't want to be seen to be taking advantage by a direct approach. I have never met her and unsure how I should proceed.

If I talk to the neighbours and try to contact the landlord directly will this piss of the letting agency? If I can't buy it I would consider renting for longer.

Any experiences on how to approach this?

It's hard to imagine a property owner not wanting to put a property on the open market in the current climate, a few interested bidders would no doubt push the selling price beyond your offer. Though you may be a good tenant, your relationship with the owner is a business one so it's unlikely that the owner, or their family, will feel they owe you anything and allow you to buy at below market rate. If there is a letting agent involved, they will absolutely advise the owner to open the property to other bidders.

Having said that, you have noting to lose by asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shadow_27

If you are concerned about "taking advantage of the situation", as the previous post suggests - write to the owner so what you are proposing is documented. Then, if there is a reply from the owner, employ the services of a lawyer so that there can be no accusations of what you fear being accused of. If there is a contract laid down in law, you have the funds & there is a survey, then all parties can be satisfied there has been no wrongdoing as the owner will also need a lawyer.

Advertisement