Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a <€100 whiskey please

• 29-11-2017 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

I've got to buy a Christmas present up to the value of €100. I know the person loves whiskey so would appreciate any recommendations please - something a bit unusual would be good, as he has quite a good collection already - I've seen Green Spot, Yellow Spot and Hyne in his house among others.

He usually drinks Irish, but I have heard him talking about Japanese whiskey before too. I was looking at something like this but am I right in thinking a "blend of malts" isn't as good as a single malt?

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/irish-whiskey-home-page/kilbeggan-21-year-old-limited-edition-blend

Unfortunately I'm clueless on the subject, so all suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Blends can be good. Really depends on the distillery.

I had Nikka Coffey Malt in Japan earlier this year and really enjoyed it. I think it would make a cool present too as it's slightly different from a bottle of standard supermarket whiskey. Didn't realise this was available here either.
    http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/world-whiskey-home-page/Japanese-Whiskies/Nikka-Coffey-Malt-70cl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Just to be pernickity, the kilbeggan is not a blend of malts, its a blended whiskey (i.e. a blend of single malt and grain whiskey).

A blend of single malts is called a blended malt. They're different beasts if you're really into your whiskey.

It totally depends what you're into, and I've had some nice blends, but I've yet to find a blend that I like as much as my favourite single malts. If you know what style he likes, I'd go with that.

I.e. If he likes green spot and yellow spot, he's likely to be a pot still fan. In that case I'd go for a nice redbreast.

I'm not as keen on Japanese whiskeys (everything I've tried has been overly light for me) so cant recommend anything there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Well, if we're being pernickety, Nikka Coffey isn't a malt. It is a celebration of grain whisky as distilled in a Coffey still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Red Breast 12yo cask strength fits nicely into your budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

He usually drinks Irish, but I have heard him talking about Japanese whiskey before too.

Sorted!

• Advertisement
Advertisement