Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brits claim Donegal, Southern Irish told to lump it

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

seamus wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here

Ok let’s cede the point that some Irish people don’t know their border either (in no sense do I believe that’s true to the extent of the British).

Your original claim that era it’s ok is still wrong for British people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It makes me happy to see apostrophes used correctly!

This makes me laugh because it is a serious advantage I have from going to school in England. SO many differences between school here and there.

My parents are Irish and I spent 3-4 months a year back here so I grew up with English people in school, but completely emerged with Irish culture as the area we lived in was an Irish parish. There was no English.

With regards to this border craic; English people are ridiculously self absorbed. They couldn't give a damn about what is happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

PLL wrote: »
    With regards to this border craic; English people are ridiculously self absorbed. They couldn't give a damn about what is happening here.

Not a dig at you but think people here are getting way to upset about this maybe even self absorbed:)

They were not asked to pick out Donegal on a map though, they were asked to draw the boundary of their country

it isn't to most though. "Their" country would be England, Wales or Scotland. I doubt anyone in Northern Ireland would actually get it wrong.
    PLL wrote: »
    This makes me laugh because it is a serious advantage I have from going to school in England. SO many differences between school here and there.

My parents are Irish and I spent 3-4 months a year back here so I grew up with English people in school, but completely emerged with Irish culture as the area we lived in was an Irish parish. There was no English.

it isn't about being self absorbed, it is about not being obsessed with Ireland, the way Ireland is obsessed with England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

VinLieger wrote: »
    I just think its basic fvcking knowledge everyone should have, international borders aren't a hard thing to learn, look at a picture once and you've got them.
    Could you draw a line representing the UN controlled buffer zone separating north and south Cyprus, from memory?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Could you draw a line representing the UN controlled buffer zone separating north and south Cyprus, from memory?

Its been a while since ive seen it but ive a rough idea where it is.

Also its a pretty garbage comparison. Id assume the people living on Cyprus could do a far better job than myself wouldn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Its been a while since ive seen it but ive a rough idea where it is.

Also its a pretty garbage comparison. Id assume the people living on Cyprus could do a far better job than myself wouldn't you?

Yes, that was my point really, it depends on how relevant it is to the individual. Northern Ireland is not particularly relevant to most people in the UK. Granted it's a UK border but one on a foreign island. I could probably manage a better job of drawing the old West Germany-GDR border than the Irish one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I remember seeing a similar video a few years back about Americans who couldn't pick out Iraq on a map. They were all convinced to bomb Australia instead. :pac:

The thing is that the video probably only includes the most hilarious/shocking/ridiculous responses. It's all about generating attention. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

There was a similar video done just 3 or 4 months ago by the Jimmy Kimmel show except they were asked to point out North Korea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

shaunr68 wrote: »

Geeks and Turks probably could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Geeks and Turks probably could.

Geography nerds too.

(sorry, I couldn't help it)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I just think its basic fvcking knowledge everyone should have, international borders aren't a hard thing to learn, look at a picture once and you've got them.

I think identifying national borders without a visual guide is much harder than people think. Talk is cheap. I would love to see some people on this thread tested on their geographical knowledge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

People should have a rough idea such as North Korea on a globe map. I saw someone putting North Korea I think in Russia..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

People should know where the countries with the nukes are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

People should have a rough idea such as North Korea on a globe map. I saw someone putting North Korea I think in Russia..

You'd think they'd at least know neither Canada nor Australia is North Korea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Several times in Toronto I met people who didn't know where Ireland was on the map, a couple of people weren't sure if England was the most western country in Europe and Ireland sat between England and mainland Europe. We are used to seeing a map of the world with the Atlantic at the centre.. the first time I saw a world map with the Pacific in the centre was in a travel agency window in Vancouver.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Here you go lads, the ultimate world geography test :D

https://www.sporcle.com/games/teedslaststand/world-no-outlines-minefield

Wait this one is better, no minefield

https://www.sporcle.com/games/teedslaststand/world-no-outlines

Happy enough, but I'm going to blame the dodgy outlines for some of the missed ones :P

435013.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I think you missed San Marino, Andorra and Lichenstein.

Ipso wrote: »
    I think you missed San Marino, Andorra and Lichenstein.

Got San Marino and Liechenstein, but only got SM because Italy came up first and left the outline. In fairness with the scale of the map and the pointer of the mouse it's pure chance otherwise

The bad mistakes imo were Israel (thought it went up a bit higher), Czechia and Hungary.. and the most disappointing were Paraguay and Zimbabwe, I thought they were much simpler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Fake News

I think the guy at 00:35 makes the most sense by saying that Ireland should leave the EU along with the UK. I think that's the best solution and it should be put to the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Fake News wrote: »
    I think the guy at 00:35 makes the most sense by saying that Ireland should leave the EU along with the UK. I think that's the best solution...............

.....a minority of Brits have decided to hole the ship and we go drown with them?

Has anyone tried this yet? I kept my effort out to sea and got 0%. (Piece of partitionist crap........:pac:)

https://www.rte.ie/generic/borders/?v=r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Has anyone tried this yet? I kept my effort out to sea and got 0%. (Piece of partitionist crap........:pac:)

https://www.rte.ie/generic/borders/?v=r
    100% :D

https://ibb.co/mZBDhw

Advertisement