Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to insulate around these recessed lights

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnnymorgan

Aye, After a good chunk of searching I think I can find some around 95/100 that would do the job I guess..

What do you think of what tweak said that with them being led that they are fine to cover the fitting. I had attached in post before your reply.. I quite like my lights, and would rather not replace in some ways ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I got plant pots from ikea for €1.25 each. The ugly ones get sold off cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Ah they are still better than mr16 imho. I have enough of those around the house as well :/

Just to confirm, you would be happy to cover the ones I attached in the image in my last post. All my lights are up against the joist. The previous owner(muppet) put them there lol.

I'd insulate away like crazy, i will hopefully be doing mine in the next few weeks on my chest infection clears, i have the rolls of insulation in the attic waiting its one dirty annoying job the new insulation is not too bad it is the old stuff that gets me.

I would be concerned about using flower pots if you are not using LEDs as i doubt there is a fire rating on flower pots :D:D halogens can get very very hot alot of the instances where a recessed light had caught fire wasn't from the insulation but from the junction boxes/electrical connections lying on top of the lights after installation or after some one moved them by an accident when getting the christmas decorations etc. this doesn't really apply to you johnny as you have an older junction box which is more resistant to heat (i think they are made from bakelite) but afaik they are outlawed in new installations due to the electrical connection point (only one screw) nothing to worry about once the connections are 100% with no loose cores or strands of copper.

tweek84 wrote: »
    I'd insulate away like crazy, i will hopefully be doing mine in the next few weeks on my chest infection clears, i have the rolls of insulation in the attic waiting its one dirty annoying job the new insulation is not too bad it is the old stuff that gets me.

I would be concerned about using flower pots if you are not using LEDs as i doubt there is a fire rating on flower pots :D:D halogens can get very very hot alot of the instances where a recessed light had caught fire wasn't from the insulation but from the junction boxes/electrical connections lying on top of the lights after installation or after some one moved them by an accident when getting the christmas decorations etc. this doesn't really apply to you johnny as you have an older junction box which is more resistant to heat (i think they are made from bakelite) but afaik they are outlawed in new installations due to the electrical connection point (only one screw) nothing to worry about once the connections are 100% with no loose cores or strands of copper.

Ha yeah was definitely not putting flower pots over them anyway.. Was goign to replace whole fixture.. I have looked at each fitting and there are no loose wires lying around.. The junction box is much different to the new models alright, but they seem fairly sturdy and wires are not loose in them etc.. I could send you a couple of pics of the other lights(via pm) if you dotn mind, just to cast an expert eye over before I go back to the sh*tty job of insulation ha

Yeah no hassle send them on and i will have a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 C Lo

I am doing same job and I am wondering if shower cables need to be covered in the same way?

ojnls7.jpg

tweek84 wrote: »
    Yeah no hassle send them on and i will have a look.

Thanks Tweek,

sticking here, as tried to pm you, but couldnt seem to attach images there(could be my lack of boards knowledge mind :/)

stuck pic of four of the lights. Havent uncovered the other two in the attic yet, but I assume they will be much the same set up.

Let me know what you think.

cheers,
    J

C Lo wrote: »
    I am doing same job and I am wondering if shower cables need to be covered in the same way?

ojnls7.jpg

You can cover the cables 9.5kw is circa 40 amps 10sq or 16sq is more than capable of handling the ampage once all the connections are secure and the run isn't coming from your neighbours house ;)

Thanks Tweek,

sticking here, as tried to pm you, but couldnt seem to attach images there(could be my lack of boards knowledge mind :/)

stuck pic of four of the lights. Havent uncovered the other two in the attic yet, but I assume they will be much the same set up.

Let me know what you think.

cheers,
    J

Try to position the cables like they are shown in image 2 before covering just to be on the safe side, and go crazy with insulation.Don't forget your tyvek suit, gloves and dust mask:mad::mad:

Advertisement