Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lied to about Role

Options
  • 29-11-2017 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

First of all I hope this is the right place for this thread, please feel free to move it if not :)

So about 6 months ago I moved to Ireland to work as a Data Analyst, the job description required someone with a strong Statistical background such as me, and I felt very lucky to get this job as the market is competitive here.

Initially everything seem fine, on my contract it states my role is that of a Data Analyst and my primary role is to build statistical models etc to analyze large sets of Data. Unfortunately I have been lied to! For the 6 months I have been here I have done nothing but Data Entry and Administration which are obviously completely different roles from what I was hired to do.

I have no idea what my options are, I spent a lot of money moving here and I'm paying high amounts in rent for a role I was not hired and now I'm stuck. Is it common in Ireland to lie about roles like this? Because to tell you guys the truth I no longer feel confident applying for jobs here. I spoke to my manager twice, the first time after my induction and the second time just last week. Both times I was told I haven't been with the company long enough to do more advanced tasks?? This makes no sense whatsoever to me, how is administration/data entry preparing me for the role I was hired to do?

I'm really confused, I thought the fact we signed a contract stating clearly what my role is was sufficient to guarantee my job..I hope someone can offer me some advice as I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Hi,

Are you getting paid the salary you agreed too for the bigger role, even though you're doing a lower less responsible role?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

La Haine wrote: »
    Hi,

Are you getting paid the salary you agreed too for the bigger role, even though you're doing a lower less responsible role?

Yes but all the companies here were offering me a really low salary for the position (or at least I think its low) so I just went with them because it was the highest offer (26k) but I think that is still low for Data Analysis even without much experience so it doesn't even make a difference on that criteria...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

He decision comes down to if you are going to be able to content yourself where you are.
    If your on a sufficient salary and think there are prospects the role will grow into something you’d enjoy then sit tight. Maybe you financial situation is such that you won’t want to risk changing - in that case remember, work is a means to live, “work to live rather than live to work”

Otherwise jump ship. There’s lots of work around, the worst thing that can happen you is the same thing again. However in my experience employers don’t pay the wage for a job and then keep someone in a lesser role for too long - unless there is reason to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

As long as you are being paid the salary that matches the higher skilled role, then no panic.

One possibility that occurs to me is that the company may be bidding for contracts where they need to show that they have the necessary qualified staff in place. Perhaps you performing your contracted role depends on them winning new work.

Some clarity from management would be reasonable though. You should make it clear in discussions that you are unhappy to let your career stagnate and will consider moving on if they can't offer you a more challenging role.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Move on. You will never trust this company and you will never feel comfortable as you have been lied to. Keep the head up and look for another job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭NinetyTwoTeam

Is it common in Ireland to lie about roles like this? Because to tell you guys the truth I no longer feel confident applying for jobs here.

Yes that's what we are known for worldwide. Guinness, rolling green hills, and misleading data analyst roles.

Why would being overqualified for your current duties stop you applying elsewhere? Your employer isn't required to give you work that you enjoy or find challenging or interesting, they are going to give you work to satisfy their business requirements.

To be honest in this country it's often the case you are given MORE work than what you are paid for, not less or easier work.

It's only been 6 months. Perhaps your employer just wants to, as they have said, make sure they can rely on you first before giving you bigger projects. Maybe they want someone who can just take direction and who is patient, to start complaining about your assigned tasks right after induction might not have sent a good message. In Irish companies the way you work with others or more accurately, how the management perceive you is often a deciding factor in how you progress, not just your ability. And forgive me if this offends, but your post makes you sound a bit immature, impatient, a bit spoiled even. It's great that you want to be given more challenging work, and are ambitious, but your only options now are to either complete whatever tasks you are given now and wait for the company to give you the more complicated ones when they think you are ready, or if you're that unhappy start applying for somewhere else - but most places will be suspicious that you are jumping ship so quickly, and if they ask and you say what you wrote here, that could be a 'red flag', that you are putting what YOU would prefer to be doing over what the company that is paying you requires of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Move on. You will never trust this company and you will never feel comfortable as you have been lied to. Keep the head up and look for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Speak to your management again and this time explain and you are not happy being a data entry person. It is not challenging and its not the reason you took the job.

Ask them for a time frame of when you will be given your first analyst task. Length of service for a company doesnt mean you cant do the job.
    Regardless of the outcome of the meeting id suggest you start looking for a new job. By the time you find a new job you will know if they have started giving you proper tasks and can then decide whether you want to stay or go.

I am a software engineer and if i took a engineering role and they had me doing data entry then id be leaving. While it might be nice to have a stress free task for a period of time its just pointless and you are actually doing yourself harm by not practicing your skills for the job you are qualified to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Why don't you move? People are crying out for Data Analysts. You could be making an easy 550 a day (if you have a visa that isn't tied to your current job).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Network network and network more. There are lot of companies that use data analysts, mostly in dublin in the financial services. From knowing python programming I can think of to SIG, Bank of America (look at pycon ireland videos on youtube and your'll see more). There are more, get onto linked in. If you are any good you should have no problem finding a better job. Or if you see prospects in you current company (personally I'd move on) use it as means to get the role you want and better pay. But make it clear from the start. Change of role after date x. If they don't fill your admin role it's not your problem. When you leave if they have an HR exit interview, tell them you a leaving because you are doing the role you where hired to do and it not satisfactory, you discussed it with your manager and he was not able or willing to help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement