Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

• 29-11-2017 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Thread for everyone who has applied this year. Hopefully this can be a useful source of information and we will all see each other on the other side as PC's. Best of luck to all!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

I 2nd that! At least the ball is rolling now albeit slowly lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Oh good. A thread of our own 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Yeepee a thread of our own..good work gawa84

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Good to see we've got our own thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

The ball is well and truly rolling now! I've been waiting for this in my mundane job for a very long time. Now it's very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Curious to see who else is in the same boat as myself and has not yet completed the IST?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I was glad I did it pretty early. I just hope it has recorded my answers correctly.

I’m dreading what the pass mark will be when they finally do get round to it. It seemed very easy which means there are going to be a lot of high scorers to try and keep up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

I did the 2nd section on Monday morning just before the system broke down, so I was happy enough. Goonerdee I also found it suspiciously easy but maybe that was down to the fact that I did a lot of practice tests beforehand.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I was glad I did it pretty early. I just hope it has recorded my answers correctly.

I’m dreading what the pass mark will be when they finally do get round to it. It seemed very easy which means there are going to be a lot of high scorers to try and keep up with.
    That's my concern tbh. From previous experience, I've found the IST much harder than the AC stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Maxi515 wrote: »

That's my concern tbh. From previous experience, I've found the IST much harder than the AC stage.

Really? I find exams easy enough if the work is put in, I've always found the role plays hard.

NiK9 wrote: »

Really? I find exams easy enough if the work is put in, I've always found the role plays hard.
    The likes of situation judgement testing etc is very subjective in my opinion. I passed both, in 1509, I think the AC is very much common sense lines of questioning during the role plays. Maybe because of the setting, the role play actors etc, it feels different?

The likes of situation judgement testing etc is very subjective in my opinion. I passed both, in 1509, I think the AC is very much common sense lines of questioning during the role plays. Maybe because of the setting, the role play actors etc, it feels different?

I think what let me down in the 1509 A.C. was that I tried too hard to get the information etc during the role plays and didn't show enough "emotion"/empathy etc. It's hard because you know it isn't real. I failed by two marks last time so hoping this time will be different lol.

I think what let me down in the 1509 A.C. was that I tried too hard to get the information etc during the role plays and didn't show enough "emotion"/empathy etc. It's hard because you know it isn't real. I failed by two marks last time so hoping this time will be different lol.

Yeah man, I was told there was a simple formula and it worked for me. I’ll PM you.

Just wondering will many people complain if they don't pass due to the system crashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Just wondering will many people complain if they don't pass due to the system crashing?
    You can't really complain though, if they've provided you with a new test and you're able to complete it then you're in the same boat as everyone else.

You can't really complain though, if they've provided you with a new test and you're able to complete it then you're in the same boat as everyone else.

No complaints from me but no doubt others even if they do complete the new test.

No complaints from me but no doubt others even if they do complete the new test.

Do you mean those that were given a retest complaining if they fail?

Yes Banterbus 28 that's what I meant, it will be used as some sort of excuse.

Joe bloggs "I didn't pass the test because your system crashed and I had to wait a week to do it and that caused me anxiety and that led to me failing it"

I can see it being in the Belfast Telegraph soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 bangedtorights

I don’t see how there can be any complaints. If you complete both tests and they are submitted, you don’t have a leg to stand on for any appeal.

However if the system crashes during the test, they will simply do the test again until the system doesn’t crash for them.

At the end the test of the day, we will all have had the opportunity to do the test and submit it.

The new IST tests will have teething problems, of course it will. However I don’t think any newspapers would be interested to be honest.

• Advertisement

Joe bloggs "I didn't pass the test because your system crashed and I had to wait a week to do it and that caused me anxiety and that led to me failing it"

From an employment law standing those who did the test early could contest if they fail. Could claim they were treated unfairly on the grounds that they had less prep time...

I don’t see how there can be any complaints. If you complete both tests and they are submitted, you don’t have a leg to stand on for any appeal.

However if the system crashes during the test, they will simply do the test again until the system doesn’t crash for them.

At the end the test of the day, we will all have had the opportunity to do the test and submit it.

The new IST tests will have teething problems, of course it will. However I don’t think any newspapers would be interested to be honest.

All you would have to do is find any similar situation/case in the UK to use as precedence...

From an employment law standing those who did the test early could contest if they fail. Could claim they were treated unfairly on the grounds that they had less prep time...

This could be me if I fail haha. I did the test as soon as i could. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

We're all adults here, I wouldn't like to think people would be petty and complain to newspapers because they failed their IST and blamed it on the new system, if we fail we fail, if we pass we pass which I know we all will. I imagine some non boardies will throw the dummy out of the pram.

KN1231999 wrote: »
    We're all adults here, I wouldn't like to think people would be petty and complain to newspapers because they failed their IST and blamed it on the new system, if we fail we fail, if we pass we pass which I know we all will. I imagine some non boardies will throw the dummy out of the pram.

I actually don’t think I could make a complaint as much as I’d be gutted if I failed. It would be my own fault.

I agree.

However you want to a peeler.

Never ever have faith in humanity.

People are dicks and we live in a time were a lot of people have this weird sense of entitlement...

I agree.

However you want to a peeler.

Never ever have faith in humanity.

People are dicks and we live in a time were a lot of people have this weird sense of entitlement...
    Slo85 wrote: »

I actually don’t think I could make a complaint as much as I’d be gutted if I failed. It would be my own fault.

Exactly, 100% agree.
    Times are moving forward, the paper and pencil won't be around for long
    This was the inevitable.
    For me, personally, I will take the result I get, accept it, and either progress with the same atitude to the next stage or recollect myself, apply next campaign and tackle it again with all my will and a positive atitude the same way I have this campaign.

There is always next time if there isn't a pass. One of my mates said that a guy in his section passed recruitment on his 5th attempt. Just have to keep trying until it happens.

The police will always be there guys....

However if I fail this time I probably won't be applying until I've bought a house.

• Advertisement

There is always next time if there isn't a pass. One of my mates said that a guy in his section passed recruitment on his 5th attempt. Just have to keep trying until it happens.
    It really is hit or miss, you can pass recruitment 1st or 10th time there's just so many variables that come into account

Advertisement