Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

For those who have completed the PCA, may I ask a question.... 
    Is it 3 times around the obstacle course in 3:54, or, is it once around the course and then 3 laps around the course in 3:54?

Lol, 3 laps of the full course. And then 20seconds on the push-pull

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Hey guys and gals
    Just wondering if anyone is going to the repeat familiarisation tomorrow? I think I will cry when I see that circuit all over again lol

Do you mean the support session for those that failed the pca?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 countrymusic1

Lily79 wrote: »
    Hey guys and gals
    Just wondering if anyone is going to the repeat familiarisation tomorrow? I think I will cry when I see that circuit all over again lol

Do you mean the support session for those that failed the pca?
    Yes i do indeed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

NiK9 wrote: »
    Is it 3 times around the obstacle course in 3:54, or, is it once around the course and then 3 laps around the course in 3:54?

Do you still have to pass the push-pull, I thought they got rid of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

• Advertisement

Ponif wrote: »

You still have to do it. And you're marked on it. You can't fail your PCA because of it but your mark is recorded and kept. To check for improvement when you do your PCA again before finishing GV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Newbie1710

How many attemps do you get at the PCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Belroo99

Ponif wrote: »

You still have to do it. And you're marked on it. You can't fail your PCA because of it but your mark is recorded and kept. To check for improvement when you do your PCA again before finishing GV.
    I was told at my PCA that while it technically doesn't form part of the assessment there is a minimum force you have to achieve. Apparently for health & safety you aren't appointable if you fall below the minimum strength standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Newbie1710 wrote: »

If you fail your first one you are given a 2nd attempt 12 weeks later, correct me if i'm wrong, there are support sessions in between where i think you can attempt it if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mal137

Breezecop wrote: »
    Guyssss scored 80 - 85 ..first fast track group .. pca ages ago..medical was dine on 2/5/18 passed it amd online learning passed ....but still no vetting email....should i be worrried

Same boat as yourself and only got my vetting email yesterday, so don't worry

• Advertisement

If you fail the PCA on your first attempt you are offered 1 more attempt up to 12 weeks later. During that 12 weeks you will be invited to support training sessions. If you feel up to it you can ask to do your second attempt at one of these sessions. But if you fail again, that's you out of the campaign, you don't get to retry it a third time at the 12 week stage.

Edit: just noticed banterbus already answered this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Newbie1710

If you fail the PCA on your first attempt you are offered 1 more attempt up to 12 weeks later. During that 12 weeks you will be invited to support training sessions. If you feel up to it you can ask to do your second attempt at one of these sessions. But if you fail again, that's you out of the campaign, you don't get to retry it a third time at the 12 week stage.

Edit: just noticed banterbus already answered this.
    Thanks😊

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

I have a few questions about the PCA. Since this thread is most active right now I figure this is the best place. How tall is the PCA wall? How heavy are the kettlebells? I think I read that the drag bag is 35 kilos, is that right? How does the push/pull actually work?
    As to the order in which they are emailing people, I'll throw my hat into the ring on geographical considerations. The location for mine would not be handy for many people. I suspect they will have two or three sites, and maybe the others won't be available until a little later so they can't email people just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭eslow

I have a few questions about the PCA. Since this thread is most active right now I figure this is the best place. How tall is the PCA wall? How heavy are the kettlebells? I think I read that the drag bag is 35 kilos, is that right? How does the push/pull actually work?
    As to the order in which they are emailing people, I'll throw my hat into the ring on geographical considerations. The location for mine would not be handy for many people. I suspect they will have two or three sites, and maybe the others won't be available until a little later so they can't email people just yet.

As far as I am aware the push and pull doesn’t happen at this stage! Only in GV

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mb91

I’m 6’4 and the wall was a wee bit taller than me (maybe the guts of 7 foot?), but there are two staggered ‘ledges’ to put your feet on to help you up.Kettlebells were about 7kgs each I think? Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but nothing too heavy. And the bag is 35kgs to simulate half the weight of a person... idea being that there would be two of you to drag a full body in real life. I’d definitely have a go at pulling the drag bag when you’re at the familiarisation/ on the day of the PCA as it is hefty and may take you by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

I've seen some of the folks saying the push/pull is included at the PCA but will no longer fail a candidate.

So the wall is about 6'6". Cool. Thanks Mb91. How did you get on with the crawling and agility bits? I'm not quite as tall as you. You can be our weathervane, up there, nice and tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mb91

The crawling bit was fine, if you’re on your hands and knees you’ve got plenty of breathing space to fit under without hitting anything... but I did find it quite hard to get under the bar coming down the stairs - ended up going down almost backwards to make sure I didn’t hit it! Again, worth having a go at this before hand if you’re tall

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheBigLight

eslow wrote: »

As far as I am aware the push and pull doesn’t happen at this stage! Only in GV

Push pull - you do this straight after your 3 circuits of the course. It's not a pass or fail but they do note your score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Motivate me: post what you did today workout wise or what your going to do.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

takodah wrote: »

I am going out shortly for a sprint session. Medium pace run to start to get the blood pumping then blast out a sprint for about 10 secs then run/recover then repeat.

I'll do this constant for about 30 to 35 mins. This did wonders for my bleep test score, hitting level 10.5 plus.

Read back through the pca thread and in the support sessions the PTIs were telling candidates they should be aiming for 6.5 bleep score.. leads me to believe this PCA is more about technique and accuracy over cardio. Although having higher level of cardio will help your fatigue level and make you more accurate.

Just get your body used to being beasted. Dont kid yourself or go half arsed.

• Advertisement

Rest day today lol
    But yesterday was:
    3 sets of 20 leg press and 15 squat
    4 sets of chest press and lat pull down
    3 sets bent over row
    4 sets of rack lifts
    Upping the weights each time.
    Then a HIIT class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Spin classes. Do it after a strength session.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Slo18

Was in the gym last night and my pt had me doing:
    Crab walks then glute bridges x3
    Hip thrusters increasing weight each time x3
    Squats increasing weights each time x3
    Sumo dead lift then weighted lunges x3
    Clean and press increasing weight each time x3
    High step ups with push ups x3
    Then a run when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

Half hour cycle into work, half hour back, every day

5-10k run in the evening followed by a 30 min bodyweight circuit of push ups, sit ups, squats and dips. Gradually increasing my reps and speed every week without killing myself. Wish I had access to a pull up bar but not an option at the minute

On Saturday I'll do a bit of trail running for variety, rest Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

Also I don't know if people would be aware of this website but they have some great training programs on it and some nice 30 day challenges, all for free.

https://darebee.com/programs/military-fit.html

I used to do this one and after 30 days you notice a big difference

Some days are handy and some kick your a*s

Great stuff so far :) aye will get put myself for a run and some HIIT In the Home. Gym tomorrow and might try some of those sets. Cheers guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Great stuff so far :) aye will get put myself for a run and some HIIT In the Home. Gym tomorrow and might try some of those sets. Cheers guys

Get yourself into one of the circuits classes at your gym if they do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

What does the push/pull test consist off

Recruit 6 wrote: »
    What does the push/pull test consist off

It's a machine you stand on and push and pull a bar/handle and it measures the force you exert on both directions.
    You get a chance to have a go at the familiarisation session.

• Advertisement

Advertisement