Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 snickett4

takodah wrote: »
    Motivate me: post what you did today workout wise or what your going to do.....
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
    Doing the above tonight, good resource with good level of progression
    HIIT Running on alternate nights (1min on 2 mins off). I was running 5km every other night but the PCA nearly banjaxed me, because I wasn't used going maximum effort. I can't remember anything after the first lap, went into the Push Pull and the PTI had to stop me because he hadn't actually set up the machine yet :p  100% reptile brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I've seen some of the folks saying the push/pull is included at the PCA but will no longer fail a candidate.

So the wall is about 6'6". Cool. Thanks Mb91. How did you get on with the crawling and agility bits? I'm not quite as tall as you. You can be our weathervane, up there, nice and tall.

The crawl can cost you the most time with a mistake so dont underestimate it!!
    If you come off an obstacle,hit a cone, knock a pole down you have to finish that obstacle and then attempt it again.
    There are around 10/12 poles ontop of the crawl. If you knock any them down you have to wait until they are all placed back on before you can go again so if you hit 4/5/6 down it's a long time increase on your time. And placing them on the lips they sit isn't a quick process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Just have one or two questions if I may lol

In the video at 25 secs she steps behind a line after the beam. Is that required?

Also at 45 secs she goes directly behind the kettlebells before lifting them. Is that required or can we lift them from the front and spin backwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

In the video at 25 secs she steps behind a line after the beam. Is that required?

Also at 45 secs she goes directly behind the kettlebells before lifting them. Is that required or can we lift them from the front and spin backwards?
    What video?

Can't remember there being a line before the wall so don't think that matters.

KB can be grabbed from any direction as long as they are set back in the square. They dont have to be set up right in it they can be on their sides as long as they are in the square. But just remember it's YOU that has to lift them again in your second and third round so if they are laying on their side it may cost you a second or two to grab them properly, so easier just to set them down upright.

It is a timed course but that doesn't mean you have to sprint the whole time, when around obstacles that can cost you time go easy. I walked the steps and the KB.

Another note which you will be told during the PCA familiarisation and on the day... any cone is an imaginary pillar from the floor to the roof. You are NOT allowed to pass over the top of them!!
    If during the KB walk you walk around the cone and your arm/KB swings over the told of the cone you can be made redo the obstacle. Same for any cones to signal a direction change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I'd advise using the slower obstacles as your chance to catch breathe and blast the others.

KB do it cwrefully get your breath back.

Beam do it carefully get your breath back.

Wall do it carefully get your breath back.

"Side step cone thingys dont do it slow but do it carefully get your breath back" the Weave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kermit243

Hey guys, first time poster.
    Got 65-70 in ac and was part of the second fast track group in early may. PCA is tough work no doubt, but to push yourself all the way while being careful on the obstacles (stairs down especially) should leave you in a good timing position.
    Just in relation to medical, can anyone in the know who has maybe passed this stage, say whether bmi is a big factor? I have been doing my runs and eating very well, however with the medical rather soon I will be left at around the 31.5-32 mark. Play rugby and am hoping the doctor takes it into consideration. I should have no other issues to be concerned about when at the medical only this bmi standard. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Breezecop

Kermit243 wrote: »
    Got 65-70 in ac and was part of the second fast track group in early may. PCA is tough work no doubt, but to push yourself all the way while being careful on the obstacles (stairs down especially) should leave you in a good timing position.
    Just in relation to medical, can anyone in the know who has maybe passed this stage, say whether bmi is a big factor? I have been doing my runs and eating very well, however with the medical rather soon I will be left at around the 31.5-32 mark. Play rugby and am hoping the doctor takes it into consideration. I should have no other issues to be concerned about when at the medical only this bmi standard. Cheers

No not at all .m.im 6f6 and 20stone bodybuilder lol my bmi is about 36 and clearly not obease haha so he said they domt even look at it unless ur clearly fat but since ur three to that stage they class u as fit anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

ML515 wrote: »
    NiK9 wrote: »
    Maxi515 wrote: »
    Goonerdee wrote: »
    I was glad I did it pretty early. I just hope it has recorded my answers correctly.

I’m dreading what the pass mark will be when they finally do get round to it. It seemed very easy which means there are going to be a lot of high scorers to try and keep up with.
    That's my concern tbh. From previous experience, I've found the IST much harder than the AC stage.

Really? I find exams easy enough if the work is put in, I've always found the role plays hard.
    The likes of situation judgement testing etc is very subjective in my opinion. I passed both, in 1509, I think the AC is very much common sense lines of questioning during the role plays. Maybe because of the setting, the role play actors etc, it feels different?
    How come nik9 you didn't get through in 1509 and are in this campaign again

Breezecop wrote: »

No not at all .m.im 6f6 and 20stone bodybuilder lol my bmi is about 36 and clearly not obease haha so he said they domt even look at it unless ur clearly fat but since ur three to that stage they class u as fit anyway

Damn you’d come in handy in a scrap alright

• Advertisement

*Cough* TSG *cough*

Only a floof would have a more intimidsting presence 😂😂😂

Recruit 6 wrote: »
    ML515 wrote: »
    Maxi515 wrote: »
    Goonerdee wrote: »
    I was glad I did it pretty early. I just hope it has recorded my answers correctly.

I’m dreading what the pass mark will be when they finally do get round to it. It seemed very easy which means there are going to be a lot of high scorers to try and keep up with.
    That's my concern tbh. From previous experience, I've found the IST much harder than the AC stage.

Really? I find exams easy enough if the work is put in, I've always found the role plays hard.
    The likes of situation judgement testing etc is very subjective in my opinion. I passed both, in 1509, I think the AC is very much common sense lines of questioning during the role plays. Maybe because of the setting, the role play actors etc, it feels different?
    How come nik9 you didn't get through in 1509 and are in this campaign again

Haha that comment was from a while back, glad to see people reading older posts.
    I failed at the AC in 2014 and 2015. And yea I'm in this campaign, I've passed everything and just waiting (not so patiently) for the call with a start date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Did someone not say before you can do step overs like with a football at the cones? Maybe maxi (ml515)

Don't worry about BMI too much. My BMI was 33/34 I think, and the nurse didn't even better an eyelid. Apart from to say she didn't think it would of be that high and what rugby team do I play for lol.

Nap702 wrote: »
    Did someone not say before you can do step overs like with a football at the cones? Maybe maxi (ml515)

You can do side steps around the cones but you arnt allowed to go over them.

Nap702 wrote: »

You can do side steps around the cones but you arnt allowed to go over them.

Ill be the one doing a really bad ronaldo impression at familiarisation folks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mrman1578

After frustratingly having to cancel my PCA date mid June as I am unable to attend... psni sent an email stating we will offer you one last date to attend and that will occur when new dates become available........ can anyone interpret if this means I’m not going to be at the end of a possible fast track or that I’m pushed further down merit list to people who haven’t gotten emails yet (probably will do PCA with them) but will this affect me overall ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Mrman1578 wrote: »
    After frustratingly having to cancel my PCA date mid June as I am unable to attend... psni sent an email stating we will offer you one last date to attend and that will occur when new dates become available........ can anyone interpret if this means I’m not going to be at the end of a possible fast track or that I’m pushed further down merit list to people who haven’t gotten emails yet (probably will do PCA with them) but will this affect me overall ?

Probably means when the next PCA session is being run. It may mean that you are not at the end of the Fast Track and could be in with others who have scored lower than you

Do u think having to do it later with no fast track and with lower scorers having got 63 myself will have a big impact on chances of getting the call this year or earlier much ...??

• Advertisement

I think it is safe to assume that omce the PSNI gets rolling your heads will be spinning.

I suspect that there will juat be rolling recruitment.

Squad after squad after squad until either the list is exhausted or they need to revalorise the merit list when the autumn 18 campaign folk enter the mix.

Garda trainee recruitment campaign has started for anyone who is interested:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&cid=78997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Garda trainee recruitment campaign has started for anyone who is interested:

https://www.publicjobs.ie/en/?option=com_jobsearch&view=jobdetails&cid=78997

I’m too old for it now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Breezecop

*Cough* TSG *cough*

Ive always wanted to put doors in with my head lol we will see thou if anyome wants ti train while in garnerville feel free if we get in

You can be my partner out on the beat...not too many going to mess with you if you are that size!

All u guys doing fast track mid June PCA less than a month away near the final stages so exciting after nearly a year since applying !!

All u guys doing fast track mid June PCA less than a month away near the final stages so exciting after nearly a year since applying !!

It's been 7 months....

Has anyone fast tracked passed everything all stages and are just waiting on a call ??

It's been 7 months....
    Bit optimistic but feels like it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Has anyone fast tracked passed everything all stages and are just waiting on a call ??

There is definitely a few people here in that position

Advertisement