Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Recruit 6 wrote: »
    I agree with somewhat you are saying but some people have had 3 or 4 goes at the ac and that so no wonder they can show the competencies better it's merely acting to mark points

Youbcan have somebody who score 49.75 that is super fit, super healthy and would make a brilliant peeler but they have no evidence to show that they are more capable than a 75 scorer...
    That's true but I don't think they should singling take about 70 at one time they should take a mixture of score brackets as that then gives everybody a chance to show how good they really are

But then it's unlawful as Police Recruitment Regulations (NI) 2001 stipulates that people must be appointed by merit....

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

I agree with somewhat you are saying but some people have had 3 or 4 goes at the ac and that so no wonder they can show the competencies better it's merely acting to mark points

Youbcan have somebody who score 49.75 that is super fit, super healthy and would make a brilliant peeler but they have no evidence to show that they are more capable than a 75 scorer...
    That's true but I don't think they should singling take about 70 at one time they should take a mixture of score brackets as that then gives everybody a chance to show how good they really are

But then it's unlawful as Police Recruitment Regulations (NI) 2001 stipulates that people must be appointed by merit....
    Yeah I understand that but you know where I coming from

No i don't that thought process is absolutely mental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mrman1578

Look u got 55 a good score you just have to wait longer and accept the process as everyone else has ... bit of common sense needed !

If you can't accept reality then re think this career. Jesus christ. Why would people whonhave done amazingly well have to give uo a place in the order of of "fairness"

Absolute mentalist

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

This thread is slowly becoming a good place to get some practice for public order/crowd control! Put the handbags away guys and girls.

Mrman1578 wrote: »

Look u got 55 a good score you just have to wait longer and accept the process as everyone else has ... bit of common sense needed !
    I have accepted the process and I know it's going to take longer . I am happy to wait it out as I have a good job to keep me going .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Mrman1578

Confusedas were u fast tracked ino u got PCA date?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

I will throw my 50p worth in!

If I got 80 or 50 in the AC it's still a pass. Either way I have already done far better than 1000's people in NI. I would be thinking to myself I have just as much chance to get this job as any other AC passer.

Who ever told the story of being binned didn't help anything. Yes it's a possibility but If you are worried of being binned surely that's not going to help motivate you to push on to smash PCA.

All the chat about the merit being binned should stop. No good for anyone.

Nap702 wrote: »

If I got 80 or 50 in the AC it's still a pass. Either way I have already done far better than 1000's people in NI. I would be thinking to myself I have just as much chance to get this job as any other AC passer.

Who ever told the story of being binned didn't help anything. Yes it's a possibility but If you are worried of being binned surely that's not going to help motivate you to push on to smash PCA.

I agree some people on here just seem to be here to boast and be like look a me look how well I done. The purpose of this is to help each other through the stages

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Arniez12

Have to be real tho. In my opinion I don’t want to be going through with the view I’m definitely in and then getting massively let down next year if they bin the list. Want to think positively but it is an issue

I agree some people on here just seem to be here to boast and be like look a me look how well I done. The purpose of this is to help each other through the stages

Nah i got binned at IST stage. And i'm not bitter. I failed a test to get my dream job? So what, no one died... the world isn't ending. I have a good job.

People who scored high sould be free to boast and brag.... it's a forum not a guerning page.

Nah i got binned at IST stage. And i'm not bitter. I failed a test to get my dream job? So what, no one died... the world isn't ending. I have a good job.

People who scored high sould be free to boast and brag.... it's a forum not a guerning page.

But also banterbus not only is it not the end if the world, but you will get a chance to go again like all of us in the autumn time.

Think you will get binned? Reapply and use this as a chance to increase your AC if your worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Here here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Confusedas wrote: »

I'm honestly not sure. There are a lot of people here who seem to know the ins and outs of all this craic but I certainly don't.

I scored 65 (why aren't people sharing their score instead of their bracket? Perhaps that's where some people are getting confused, nothing to be ashamed of.) and I have my PCA date. I'm not sure if that means that I'm fast-tracked or not.

Bud the brackets are used because PSNI Recruitment used to actively monitor this board. They maybe still do, no body knows now.
    So if you say your exact score and then also let a date slip of when you did something you could be identified and if you posted something from the AC etc then you could be binned for breach of the none disclosure. It's just for security reasons nothing else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Gee2

Confusedas wrote: »

I'm honestly not sure. There are a lot of people here who seem to know the ins and outs of all this craic but I certainly don't.

I scored 65 (why aren't people sharing their score instead of their bracket? Perhaps that's where some people are getting confused, nothing to be ashamed of.) and I have my PCA date. I'm not sure if that means that I'm fast-tracked or not.
    People don’t share their exact score (if they have any sense) because it’s easier for the powers to be to pinpoint those behind the alias. Some people have been very open with personal info (scores, dates etc), which isn’t very wise. Did everyone state they were on this forum on their vetting forms? Did everyone sign up to keep info regarding the process confidential?

Just be careful what you post. You are signing up for a career that priorities confidential, and sharing info on a public/open forum might rattle the powers that be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

NiK9 wrote: »
    Bud the brackets are used because PSNI Recruitment used to actively monitor this board. They maybe still do, no body knows now.
    So if you say your exact score and then also let a date slip of when you did something you could be identified and if you posted something from the AC etc then you could be binned for breach of the none disclosure. It's just for security reasons nothing else. :)

......wheres the edit button :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Hey dont worry about people having done loads of ACs before. This is my forth AC (fifth attempt overall), yet this is my worst AC result. I am of the opinion of ‘whats for you wont go past you’, when Autumn comes round I will try again, I’m also chasing new opportunities in my current job. Dont waste your life chasing a dream, if opportunities for something better than what you have now comes along, embrace it, you will get where you want in the end. Keep your head down, keep your fitness up and everyone stay friendly, one day we might all be colleagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Arniez12

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Hey dont worry about people having done loads of ACs before. This is my forth AC (fifth attempt overall), yet this is my worst AC result. I am of the opinion of ‘whats for you wont go past you’, when Autumn comes round I will try again, I’m also chasing new opportunities in my current job. Dont waste your life chasing a dream, if opportunities for something better than what you have now comes along, embrace it, you will get where you want in the end. Keep your head down, keep your fitness up and everyone stay friendly, one day we might all be colleagues.
    How come you didn’t get in before, when you got better AC scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

Recruit6 overstated themselves when they said those in the middle may be best suited for the job. I can't see any basis for that idea. However, there is some value in the overall point that AC scores shouldn't be given much force. It is a test, and like many tests it has a large dose of unreality to it. A dullard could get an 80 on their third or fourth attempt while a genius gets 45 on their first go. Jesus Christ himself could attend the AC at age 18 and be overwhelmed by the experience, while folks like me with a little more experience in similar environments have no issue at all with presentation at the AC (disclaimer- I had major issues with content lol).

Or somebody who was fed information via a breach of the non-disclosure agreement could drop the mike after two minutes in each roleplay and come out with 80 without even trying. It is not an infallible tool. As I said before, it can be used to roughly gauge whether or not a person is ready to be trained as a Constable. It is not 100% accurate and should not be taken as Gospel.

Banterbus, have a little empathy. You are agreeing with the idea that people should be binned when a new merit order is released. How would you feel if your future application was denied on the basis of your failure at the IST stage this time? Would that be fair? Do you lack the aptitude to become a police officer based on a multiple choice test (with some elements of guesswork) based on a contrived workplace that is not your own?

The merit list is used because it is the fairest way of determining initial order of progression to the next stages. That is all. Otherwise the AC score has no value. A good officer takes years of training and experience to form and the AC will have bugger all to do with it. None of us are going to be great cops this decade.

• Advertisement

Banterbus loves a good debat lol nemesis your next ahahhaha #BringBackMaxi lol

Recruit6 overstated themselves when they said those in the middle may be best suited for the job. I can't see any basis for that idea. However, there is some value in the overall point that AC scores shouldn't be given much force. It is a test, and like many tests it has a large dose of unreality to it. A dullard could get an 80 on their third or fourth attempt while a genius gets 45 on their first go. Jesus Christ himself could attend the AC at age 18 and be overwhelmed by the experience, while folks like me with a little more experience in similar environments have no issue at all with presentation at the AC (disclaimer- I had major issues with content lol).

Or somebody who was fed information via a breach of the non-disclosure agreement could drop the mike after two minutes in each roleplay and come out with 80 without even trying. It is not an infallible tool. As I said before, it can be used to roughly gauge whether or not a person is ready to be trained as a Constable. It is not 100% accurate and should not be taken as Gospel.

Banterbus, have a little empathy. You are agreeing with the idea that people should be binned when a new merit order is released. How would you feel if your future application was denied on the basis of your failure at the IST stage this time? Would that be fair? Do you lack the aptitude to become a police officer based on a multiple choice test (with some elements of guesswork) based on a contrived workplace that is not your own?

The merit list is used because it is the fairest way of determining initial order of progression to the next stages. That is all. Otherwise the AC score has no value. A good officer takes years of training and experience to form and the AC will have bugger all to do with it. None of us are going to be great cops this decade.
    Couldn't agree more every point you made was spot on

But also banterbus not only is it not the end if the world, but you will get a chance to go again like all of us in the autumn time.

Think you will get binned? Reapply and use this as a chance to increase your AC if your worried.
    So you got binned at the ist stage this campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Can anyone advise how long the familiarisation session lasts or if you can leave when you wish?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

I agree some people on here just seem to be here to boast and be like look a me look how well I done.  The purpose of this is to help each other through the stages

He did, but he passed it before and will hopefully pass it again in the future. His experience simply lends credence to my point that the selection process is imperfect, as it generates inconsistent results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Can anyone confirm whether the pca is the same as in the publicly available video? Any main changes?

Obviously you don't go around at the leisurely pace of the woman in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 belfast_22

Can anyone confirm whether the pca is the same as in the publicly available video? Any main changes?

Obviously you don't go around at the leisurely pace of the woman in the video.

Yea exactly the same and aye don’t be doing that or you’ll get a nice welcome back to do it again

The evidence at this time suggests so.

If i got passed the IST stage next time then I have negated my previus failure by showing I meet the competency standard set. Simple evidence based process.

I have loads of empathy but I will not sympathise with a notion that those that score high should wait out of a sense of "fairness" that's simply, stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Arniez12 wrote: »
    Goonerdee wrote: »
    How come you didn’t get in before, when you got better AC scores?

The first one was during 50/50 so didnt score high enough to go in the merit pool, second the campaign was binned. Third was my best score but failed the PCA twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Easy bud, have some tact. Reiterating that point is conducive to nothing but fanning the flames further. You've joined here very recently and everyone has been good enough to answer your many questions. You should show the same courtesy.

Advertisement