Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Malonegirl96

GUYS CURRENTLY STILL IN THE CAMPAIGN MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE NOT MENTIONING SPECIFICS OF AC AS YOU CAN POTENTIALLY BE DISQUALIFIED
    Yes thank you for the advice, I deleted my comment just to be sure. But honestly there is more specific information that has been discussed on the ac thread.

Nap702 wrote: »
    It's annoying that!!

Before my AC I would have loved some information even the structure of the day so I would know what to expect.

I got a grade B in AC but I know some of fast track folk could give me that bit more information to get an A* especially if I go in to the autumn 2018 campaign again.

For us being such a small group that used are heads and found this forum we should be able to help each other out.

I know I will get hit with he rule book again by someone. please save your time, I have already had like three people remind me about it.

Why not work as a team and help each other? is that a main attribute of a PC, teamwork?

FYI I will be sticking to the rules but does people not think like me and what to help others?

Exactly get what you mean, I believe it would have been helpful if I had a bit more advice from someone who knows what they were doing. That’s just the way it works it seems :( also wish we could help out others by doing the same in return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

The problem is guys, at the IST and the AC stage the competition is fierce. Not everyone gets through so having any sort of advantage is desirable. It doesnt help, alot of how you do is down to luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Maybe i have to start looking at it as every man for themselves.

Anyway Cml29 I know this thread fairly long but there is some advice given which I used before reading it, in my AC and some bits I learnt after. If you dig deep enough you will find it. And IMO it will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

It's annoying that!!

Before my AC I would have loved some information even the structure of the day so I would know what to expect.

I got a grade B in AC but I know some of fast track folk could give me that bit more information to get an A* especially if I go in to the autumn 2018 campaign again.

For us being such a small group that used are heads and found this forum we should be able to help each other out.

I know I will get hit with he rule book again by someone. please save your time, I have already had like three people remind me about it.

Why not work as a team and help each other? is that a main attribute of a PC, teamwork?

FYI I will be sticking to the rules but does people not think like me and what to help others?
    If you got a grade b why would you be looking to get anymore info or enter a new campaign as you will be getting a space as long as you pass the medical and pca

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

PSNI actively monitor this page and they will bin you for breach of the non-disclosure agreement. Balls 's in your court.

Simple answer being I may or may not be successful this campaign, until I am in GV who knows. I could fail my PCA twice, I could fail my medical over something I could fix at a later date. I could be binned.

Until I am in GV, I have still a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

I understand the predicament but communicating the nature of the various parts of the AC beyond whats already in the official communications could give you an unfair advantage. Looking back at the AC if I had slightly more info on what the nature of certain sections were I would have known the best way to approach them.

Unfortunately we're all in the same boat and have to figure out the best way to tackle the problem on the day

I may be wrong here but would this years AC be similar to previous years?

What I am saying is, if you done the AC before you now know what to expect and prepare yourself for it the next time around.

Certain exercises I didn't do well on this year, I am pretty confident now that I know what they about, i think i could do better in if I did it again.

Never mind AC the IST is deadly lol

What I am saying is, if you done the AC before you now know what to expect and prepare yourself for it the next time around.

Certain exercises I didn't do well on this year, I am pretty confident now that I know what they about, i think i could do better in if I did it again.

Yeah if 2018 campaign is the same format as this ac I would know how to prepare a lot better. This is what I was getting at as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah if 2018 campaign is the same format as this ac I would know how to prepare a lot better. This is what I was getting at as well.
    Everybody would do well if it was the same format again in 2018 as you know what to expect

Disagree, same format different scenarios I would say. Also you will have first timers doing it too.

Did you actually find the ist hard

Did anyone find the ist hard

Recruit 6 wrote: »

Did you actually find the ist hard

Absolutely I just about passed it and would dread doing it again.

I didn't revise and I got high score in it

Well done for you, but I did revise and try to prepare and found it almost harder than the ac, but everyone’s different. We all have strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

I barely passed it. Felt some of the answers were ambiguous. Some of the solutions to the questions in some cases were so similar that I felt that either would be correct.

Well done for you, but I did revise and try to prepare and found it almost harder than the ac, but everyone’s different. We all have strengths and weaknesses.
    The ac was harder for me as I wasn't sure on what to expect but I got a grade c so I passed just have to see if I get through the rest of it

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Adam261

I did very well in the IST and just ok in the AC(still passed!) mainly because i prefer sitting an "exam" as opposed to doing role plays etc.As Malonegirl said we all have our own strengths and weaknesses!

• Advertisement

The ac was harder for me as I wasn't sure on what to expect but I got a grade c so I passed just have to see if I get through the rest of it

Well done to get this far IMO it is an accomplishment in its self lol am proud of myself hahahaha

Anyway Cml29 I know this thread fairly long but there is some advice given which I used before reading it, in my AC and some bits I learnt after. If you dig deep enough you will find it. And IMO it will help.

You have to, I had been through the AC before and still got a crap result, if I had been telling everyone what to expect at the AC and helping them getting prepared more people might have got A’s and B’s and that could have resulted in the pass mark being higher and me getting binned. You would be an idiot to throw away your advantages when you have 5000+ people fighting for 300 slots.

Goonerdee wrote: »

You have to, I had been through the AC before and still got a crap result, if I had been telling everyone what to expect at the AC and helping them getting prepared more people might have got A’s and B’s and that could have resulted in the pass mark being higher and me getting binned. You would be an idiot to throw away your advantages when you have 5000+ people fighting for 300 slots.

Exactly that.

But nowhere has it been said that 300 slots is the cap.

Why do people keep fixating on this 300?

Some sources have said up to, others have said at least.... the fact that the PSNI have not stipulated a number should be enough to indicate that 300 isn't absolute.

Exactly that.

Some sources have said up to, others have said at least.... the fact that the PSNI have not stipulated a number should be enough to indicate that 300 isn't absolute.

Understand, just using numbers as an example of how competitive the stages are.

Exactly that.

I think the phrase "everyone and their mum applies for the police" should sum up the competition.

Exactly that.

I think the phrase "everyone and their mum applies for the police" should sum up the competition.

Lol, yeah.

In fact I’m hoping they are looking for more than 300 so people like me in the bottom of a barrel get a look.

Exactly that.

Lol, yeah.

In fact I’m hoping they are looking for more than 300 so people like me in the bottom of a barrel get a look.

I hope you do too!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cml29

Did anyone look at the couple of sample questions for the verbal reasoning and situational judgement test on join psni for the IST?

Are the actual questions on the IST of a similar standard or are they alot harder?

Been through a few of these processes for other companies before and the sample questions they provide are often no where near the level of difficulty in the real test.

Cml29 wrote: »
    Did anyone look at the couple of sample questions for the verbal reasoning and situational judgement test on join psni for the IST?

Are the actual questions on the IST of a similar standard or are they alot harder?

Been through a few of these processes for other companies before and the sample questions they provide are often no where near the level of difficulty in the real test.

You may wait until the next campaign comes around. You make all the enquiries now. But unless you are gonna practice consistently for the next 6 months there's no point getting the depth now as you will suffer from the inevitable skill fade...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

I didn’t see the IST as an “exam” as it wasn’t something I could study or revise for, I could prepare for it which I did and scraped by. As others have said, some of the questions were ambiguous or similar in nature. I applied my own methodology for answering but as I say scraped by. I would not want to do this again and would Sir the AC any day over IST. But the process is tough for a reason, the IST itself being a deselector tool to slash numbers. There is a lot of luck required to nail this job, that and perseverance.

Advertisement