Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

But when will that be is the question. I'm in the 60-65 bracket and I'm hopeful that if I get through the rest of the stages I should be starting in GV before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Hey everyone. I had a brief hiatus from boards to prepare for the PCA. Boards is notoriously bad for anxiety in the immediate run up to the next stage of the process.

The good news is that I passed and can make some time to post here again. Congrats to everyone who passed today. That circuit is a cruel mistress lol.

I just want to dispense some advice to those of you about to do it for the first time based on my own experience.

1) It looks easy but come that third lap, I lost form, my legs turned to jelly. The lesson is don’t underestimate it. Sometimes it’s better to walk obstciales closer to the end to prevent mistakes and associated time penalties and make up for it on the sprints.

2) It is doable, even for unfit people. My BMI is 26.6 but with three weeks of HIIT on the treadmill and spin by x5 nights a week got me over the line. You just really need to push yourself for those three weeks on the run up.

3) Half the circuit for me was having a positive mindset. Being in the right frame of mind is half the battle.

Now on to the next hurdle

Maxi

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

ML515 wrote: »
    Hey everyone. I had a brief hiatus from boards to prepare for the PCA. Boards is notoriously bad for anxiety in the immediate run up to the next stage of the process.

The good news is that I passed and can make some time to post here again. Congrats to everyone who passed today. That circuit is a cruel mistress lol.

I just want to dispense some advice to those of you about to do it for the first time based on my own experience.

1) It looks easy but come that third lap, I lost form, my legs turned to jelly. The lesson is don’t underestimate it. Sometimes it’s better to walk obstciales closer to the end to prevent mistakes and associated time penalties and make up for it on the sprints.

2) It is doable, even for unfit people. My BMI is 26.6 but with three weeks of HIIT on the treadmill and spin by x5 nights a week got me over the line. You just really need to push yourself for those three weeks on the run up.

3) Half the circuit for me was having a positive mindset. Being in the right frame of mind is half the battle.

Maxi

Well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Maxi

Well done maxi

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

NiK9 wrote: »
    Rossco22 wrote: »
    Just realised I have my SMT email too. Phone wasn't showing any notifications. Opened email and suddenly had 23 emails, mainly from boards lol.

Pass on my SMT too :D
    Done exactly the same, looks like we just play the waiting game now!

If they are starting the first class at the start of Aug that's only 11 weeks away. I'm sure I can manage to drag myself to work until then lol.
    There's about 8 weeks between call and start right? With the induction day in the middle after 4 weeks? If so my notice will be in the day of the call if possible in order to take advantage of the time before starting if we're gonna have to do 6 months without leave (which again we are apparently assigned but not allowed to take, hopefully it will be available in the remainder of the year).

So you anticipate the call coming in roughly three weeks time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 stillwaiting10

For people who have complete medical what is the turn around periods between the actual medical and results ?

For people who have complete medical what is the turn around periods between the actual medical and results ?
    Medical next day, SMT just shy of 3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ArdsMike

Nap702 wrote: »

Maxi

Well done maxi

So i just completed my physical today also . Pass and move on for medical date.
    Ive just recieved an email now tho to complete an online 16 hour learning course first. Anyone else got this already ??

ArdsMike wrote: »
    Nap702 wrote: »

Maxi

Well done maxi

So i just completed my physical today also . Pass and move on for medical date.
    Ive just recieved an email now tho to complete an online 16 hour learning course first. Anyone else got this already ??

Attempting it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Just realised I have my SMT email too. Phone wasn't showing any notifications. Opened email and suddenly had 23 emails, mainly from boards lol.

If they are starting the first class at the start of Aug that's only 11 weeks away. I'm sure I can manage to drag myself to work until then lol.
    There's about 8 weeks between call and start right? With the induction day in the middle after 4 weeks? If so my notice will be in the day of the call if possible in order to take advantage of the time before starting if we're gonna have to do 6 months without leave (which again we are apparently assigned but not allowed to take, hopefully it will be available in the remainder of the year).

It could maybe come sooner, they may want our induction before the July shutdown at GV.
    Induction last week June - first week July (25th - 8th). And say roughly 4 weeks notice before induction. Calls could be anything from 28th may to 10th June.
    Just speculation of course.

• Advertisement

It could maybe come sooner, they may want our induction before the July shutdown at GV.
    Induction last week June - first week July (25th - 8th). And say roughly 4 weeks notice before induction. Calls could be anything from 28th may to 10th June.
    Just speculation of course.
    Yea that's a good point, I hope you're right! The sooner the better, just can't wait to get started now

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Well done maxi.

Anyone else there today at 10am for the PCA ?
    Im Michael, the tall bald one with the orange t shirt.
    Be good to chat to a few of yous to see hows yous got on and to see if any of yous have any info on this flippin Online Learning Course to do now !! Didnt know about it to be honest ! Was thinking medical was the only bit left.
    M.

Be good to chat to a few of yous to see hows yous got on and to see if any of yous have any info on this flippin Online Learning Course to do now !! Didnt know about it to be honest ! Was thinking medical was the only bit left.
    M.

Hey Bud don't worry about the online learning. It's more boring than anything else. There is 2 small tests during it. There is a specific pass score for the tests but if you don't pass, you can redo them before finishing. Best to just do an hour a day until it's all done.

Im seeing a lot of dates in here for June/July ! Is there a group further on than us then ?
    Im in the South of France the first two weeks in July on my holidays and now im worried im gonna miss something ! Lol

Im seeing a lot of dates in here for June/July ! Is there a group further on than us then ?
    Im in the South of France the first two weeks in July on my holidays and now im worried im gonna miss something ! Lol

Yea you're part of the second fast track group. Some of us in the first one have finished everything and are just waiting (not so patiently) for a start date now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

M.

Don't put your real name on this mate. I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Not only due to the threat level but also you have been gicen very clear instructions to be discreet about your application.... PSNI monitor this page

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Newbie1710

Can anyone shed some light on PCA -

Do you complete the course is alphabetical order?

How many ppl are in the room?

Can other candiates see you while you are completing it?

Any tips - welcome!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Slatprh

Newbie1710 wrote: »

You complete the course in this order, https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/uploads/1506032226-pca-diagram-2017-09-21.pdf
    I think that no other candidates are in the room whilst you are completing it, but another candidate will start when you are on your final lap. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

As for tips, just read over what others have said, you really need to be focusing on high intensity training because you'll have to give it everything you've got for the 4 minutes. From what I've read everyone says to take your time around the trickier bits to make sure you don't suffer any penalties and make up for it in the sprints.

• Advertisement

Newbie1710 wrote: »

There was 15-25 people present today. We took turns in alphabetical order by surname. The PTI will follow you around the circuit assessing for faults. Other candidates wait out in the hall until they're called. Stick with the HIIT - this is a maximum effort test, as much as you can, until the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

I'm glad there are no other candidates in the room when doing the PCA that would put be completely off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stillwaiting10

That’s not entirely correct ... when you are completing your third lap half way through the next person will be starting their first lap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I'm glad there are no other candidates in the room when doing the PCA that would put be completely off.

I doubt you'd notice them, you'll be breathing out of your arse.

That’s not entirely correct ... when you are completing your third lap half way through the next person will be starting their first lap

I will be dying by that stage and won't know what day of the week it is never mind noticing someone else joining in....do we do the PCA at GV?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

I will be dying by that stage and won't know what day of the week it is never mind noticing someone else joining in....do we do the PCA at GV?

You definitely don't notice the other person by that stage, I know I didn't! Apparently they hold them in a few locations but probably not the best idea to disclose them

If you mean during training at GV yea you do one just before finishing the 23weeks

If you mean during training at GV yea you do one just before finishing the 23weeks

No I meant do we do the next stage of recruitment process which is the PCA at GV.

Lily79 wrote: »
    You definitely don't notice the other person by that stage, I know I didn't! Apparently they hold them in a few locations but probably not the best idea to disclose them

Of course I understand. Our safety is important!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Breezecop

Just ref the leave ect in gv .. what happens is your not allowed any untill u pass out ( mayb a day if youve a wedding ect but thats it) then once you pass out on the friday everyone has to take a weeks leave the following week wether u like it or not.

Advertisement