Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Breezecop wrote: »
    Just ref the leave ect in gv .. what happens is your not allowed any untill u pass out ( mayb a day if youve a wedding ect but thats it) then once you pass out on the friday everyone has to take a weeks leave the following week wether u like it or not.

I'm sure by that stage everyone is more than ready for a week off! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Just ref the leave ect in gv .. what happens is your not allowed any untill u pass out ( mayb a day if youve a wedding ect but thats it) then once you pass out on the friday everyone has to take a weeks leave the following week wether u like it or not.

That's deff not right. They can't "force" you to take paid holidays on certain dates. The federation would be all over them. And I know people who have finshed on the Fri and started on the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

On the join PSNI website-

Whilst in the Police College you are entitled to 9 days annual leave spread throughout the 23 week training period*, with a further 13 days to take in the remainder of your first year.

Below the rank of Superintendent and with less than 2 years’ relevant service, officers are entitled to 22 days annual leave.

*Leave shall be taken only on the days outlined in the Student Timetable or with the express permission of the Inspector Foundation Training.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Loremaster Teclis

Whilst in the Police College you are entitled to 9 days annual leave spread throughout the 23 week training period*, with a further 13 days to take in the remainder of your first year.

Below the rank of Superintendent and with less than 2 years’ relevant service, officers are entitled to 22 days annual leave.

*Leave shall be taken only on the days outlined in the Student Timetable or with the express permission of the Inspector Foundation Training.
    That's what it says on the site, but in practice I hear you're not allowed any unless it's for a major event, i.e 1 day for your wedding. So that's why i'm keen to hear from anybody in GV or who knows the specifics, mainly, I don't want only 13 days leave for the whole year and have 9 days written off due to... that's just the way it works mate. As stated on a previous post, I wouldn't mind if we got a week off after attesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

That's what it says on the site, but in practice I hear you're not allowed any unless it's for a major event, i.e 1 day for your wedding. So that's why i'm keen to hear from anybody in GV or who knows the specifics, mainly, I don't want only 13 days leave for the whole year and have 9 days written off due to... that's just the way it works mate. As stated on a previous post, I wouldn't mind if we got a week off after attesting.

There will be rest days. It's not like you will only get 13 days off a year.

Obv rest days can get cancelles etc.

Also remember you can build TOIL on overtime as well. Pretty sure working a public holiday os double time and TOIL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Breezecop

NiK9 wrote: »

That's deff not right. They can't "force" you to take paid holidays on certain dates. The federation would be all over them. And I know people who have finshed on the Fri and started on the Monday.

That is 100 percent correct lol take it from someone who knows. Get used to doing what your told lol federation isnt a union lol

Think alot of people here have a rose tinted view if what your joining , get used to gettn leave when ur told u can have it, gettn leave cancealed the day before, even if uve booked months in advance , doing 120 hour weeks lol or 3 weeks straight with no day off because of operational needs. You have to want to do this job for the service not for the quality of the work life balance

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Slatprh

I have recently left my job and am starting a new one this week, will I need to email recruitment to let them know as it was asked on the vetting form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

NiK9 wrote: »

That is 100 percent correct lol take it from someone who knows. Get used to doing what your told lol federation isnt a union lol

Knowing something and knowing what you've been told are two very different things.
    We have both been told different things by "someone who knows" so I guess we will just have to wait until induction to find out for ourselves :)

Think alot of people here have a rose tinted view if what your joining , get used to gettn leave when ur told u can have it, gettn leave cancealed the day before, even if uve booked months in advance , doing 120 hour weeks lol or 3 weeks straight with no day off because of operational needs. You have to want to do this job for the service not for the quality of the work life balance

Considering my da takes 7 straight weeks off every year over summer i can honestly say that you are talking rubbish.

Yes rest days get cancelled.

Yes there's leave restrictions at certain times of the year.

But you can definately have a decent work life balance in the Police. You just have to work for it a bit more and play a strategic game.

• Advertisement

Rest days get cancelles but your leave doesn't, unless something massive is happening.

Slatprh wrote: »
    I have recently left my job and am starting a new one this week, will I need to email recruitment to let them know as it was asked on the vetting form.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waiting88

My partner is in the job and the leave days you get in gv are normally before your exams so it’s not really a holiday it’s to study and he passed out on Friday and was in station Monday morning. He then had his remaining holidays to use as he wanted once in station.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 belfast_22

Know a guy in gv at the minute and he so far hasn’t been allowed any leave. Only got the bank holidays.

Considering my da takes 7 straight weeks off every year over summer i can honestly say that you are talking rubbish.

But you can definately have a decent work life balance in the Police. You just have to work for it a bit more and play a strategic game.

If hes in psni and gets 7 weeks off over summer then he isnt response and is definatly isnt frontline operational .. if u mean 7 days off possibky if your lucky lol and yes thats exactly my point if something happens u can leave canealed on the day u take it even if its protected lol so u just made my point lol also unless its changed from 4 years ago you get a weeks leave after your pass out and there was no time for revision before exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

I find it ironic that we are now arguing about holiday leave for a job that none of us are in yet but have jumped over /around /into so many hoops just to be within a shot of getting the job. Even if the leave isn't as good in the first year..... Does it make a difference long term? I don't think so. Personally speaking I just want to get in, then I'll worry about lack of leave, difficulty getting leave, etc. Right this second, it is the least of my concerns and I'm putting everything I can just to be in a position to "have no leave for 23 weeks" lol.

If hes in psni and gets 7 weeks off over summer then he isnt response and is definatly isnt frontline operational .. if u mean 7 days off possibky if your lucky lol and yes thats exactly my point if something happens u can leave canealed on the day u take it even if its protected lol so u just made my point lol also unless its changed from 4 years ago you get a weeks leave after your pass out and there was no time for revision before exams

Did I say he was response?

He still got that leave when he was TSG but it wasn't summer lol.

If yoir leave gets cancelled you still wre entitled to it, and you get a days TOIL as well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Lol you all make me laugh lol

Biggest bitches about. It's like an episode of 'desperate houses wives of PSNI recruits' lol lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Nap702 wrote: »

Biggest bitches about. It's like an episode of 'desperate houses wives of PSNI recruits' lol lol

First draft of the script on its way to you 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Malonegirl96

Nap702 wrote: »

Best thing I’ve seen all day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Any ideas how long feedback on medical takes?

Faugha wrote: »
    Any ideas how long feedback on medical takes?

As in how long it takes youbto get a result or how long it takes you to get the medical report under a Subject Access Request?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mrmagooo

Hello everyone, long time lurker finally crawling out from under my rock.
    In the 60-65 range, was chuffed as like many people I came out thinking the worst. Haven’t heard anything since the scores came out, and my thumb is being worn down to the bone checking my emails on the sly at lunch in work. Hoping for an email with a pca date soon but atleast it’ll give me time to get fit....*sets down curry chip and pushes it sheepishly to the side*.
    Anyway well done to everyone who’s made it this far. Fingers crossed for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Mrmagooo wrote: »
    Hello everyone, long time lurker finally crawling out from under my rock.
    In the 60-65 range, was chuffed as like many people I came out thinking the worst. Haven’t heard anything since the scores came out, and my thumb is being worn down to the bone checking my emails on the sly at lunch in work. Hoping for an email with a pca date soon but atleast it’ll give me time to get fit....*sets down curry chip and pushes it sheepishly to the side*.
    Anyway well done to everyone who’s made it this far. Fingers crossed for us all.

sets down curry chip and pushes it sheepishly to the side--- ha ha that made me laugh, welcome to the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Waiting88 wrote: »
    My partner is in the job and the leave days you get in gv are normally before your exams so it’s not really a holiday it’s to study and he passed out on Friday and was in station Monday morning. He then had his remaining holidays to use as he wanted once in station.

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/annual-leave

Annual Leave

*Leave shall be taken only on the days outlined in the Student Timetable or with the express permission of the Inspector Foundation Training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Sigh... Here we go again...

Leave in GV - you are not going to be able to take leave during garnerville. Its an intensive 22 week course and only in exceptional circumstance will you be granted time off, and even then its minimal. i. e getting married will get you a day or two if you're lucky. You will be given time off before exams to revise, so make the most of it. Once you're out at your station you can use your leave as you please.

Which brings me on to...

Leave in station/response - I can only talk for response because its all I personally have experience on. You get a certain amount of hours per year, April to April. This amount increases upon passing probation and when you reach your 7 years service. Certain times of the year such as July are obviously restricted, meaning only a percentage of people can be off on those dates. I have never seen or heard of anyone having their annual leave cancelled, for any reason whatsoever. But yes, in theory it can happen.

In terms of hours worked etc, some weeks can be long. Very long. My longest period of working without a rest day to date is 14 days. I haven't seen anyone work much more than that without at least 1 day off in between. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be and to be honest, in the last 2 months I've barely done 30 hours overtime each month (previously I'd be near 80-100 hours a month).

Which leads me on to finally... Don't talk utter balls if you don't know what you're talking about first hand. It doesn't help anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Slatprh

Reading all these leave debates have gotten really old, I can’t be the only person that actually wants to just start and get to learning. My old work was very strict already on leave so I won’t be affected by it and it’s only 6 months and then you can book all the holidays you want.

majgreen wrote: »

Leave in GV - you are not going to be able to take leave during garnerville. Its an intensive 22 week course and only in exceptional circumstance will you be granted time off, and even then its minimal. i. e getting married will get you a day or two if you're lucky. You will be given time off before exams to revise, so make the most of it. Once you're out at your station you can use your leave as you please.

Which brings me on to...

Leave in station/response - I can only talk for response because its all I personally have experience on. You get a certain amount of hours per year, April to April. This amount increases upon passing probation and when you reach your 7 years service. Certain times of the year such as July are obviously restricted, meaning only a percentage of people can be off on those dates. I have never seen or heard of anyone having their annual leave cancelled, for any reason whatsoever. But yes, in theory it can happen.

In terms of hours worked etc, some weeks can be long. Very long. My longest period of working without a rest day to date is 14 days. I haven't seen anyone work much more than that without at least 1 day off in between. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be and to be honest, in the last 2 months I've barely done 30 hours overtime each month (previously I'd be near 80-100 hours a month).

Which leads me on to finally... Don't talk utter balls if you don't know what you're talking about first hand. It doesn't help anyone.

Thanks for the insight :) I know it probably depends on what station you are in etc but is overtime compulsory? I have kids so to work 14 days in a row would be impossible.

I know of course at times extra would be required but I mean on a regular basis?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Aye_Chihuahua

majgreen wrote: »

Which brings me on to...

Hopefully this clears it up for everyone now. One question coming out of that.......overtime, is it taken as toil or paid typically?

Advertisement