Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

majgreen wrote: »
    Sigh... Here we go again...

Leave in GV - you are not going to be able to take leave during garnerville. Its an intensive 22 week course and only in exceptional circumstance will you be granted time off, and even then its minimal. i. e getting married will get you a day or two if you're lucky. You will be given time off before exams to revise, so make the most of it. Once you're out at your station you can use your leave as you please.

Which brings me on to...

Leave in station/response - I can only talk for response because its all I personally have experience on. You get a certain amount of hours per year, April to April. This amount increases upon passing probation and when you reach your 7 years service. Certain times of the year such as July are obviously restricted, meaning only a percentage of people can be off on those dates. I have never seen or heard of anyone having their annual leave cancelled, for any reason whatsoever. But yes, in theory it can happen.

In terms of hours worked etc, some weeks can be long. Very long. My longest period of working without a rest day to date is 14 days. I haven't seen anyone work much more than that without at least 1 day off in between. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be and to be honest, in the last 2 months I've barely done 30 hours overtime each month (previously I'd be near 80-100 hours a month).

Which leads me on to finally... Don't talk utter balls if you don't know what you're talking about first hand. It doesn't help anyone.

Bring on the overtime, I would work a minutes silence if they would let me

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BFast1461

I don't know why people are getting so worked up about leave during GV, if you want something enough you might have to make sacrifices for it.

I have an unrelated question about leave, when actually working response you have X amount of hours you can take, are you permitted to take partial days? I'd imagine that would be a logistical nightmare if you are.

What is the most common shift length? Obviously this varies by station, PC and role. How do breaks work during this? I've read that most tend to end up working through their break time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Nap702 wrote: »

Leave in GV - you are not going to be able to take leave during garnerville. Its an intensive 22 week course and only in exceptional circumstance will you be granted time off, and even then its minimal. i. e getting married will get you a day or two if you're lucky. You will be given time off before exams to revise, so make the most of it. Once you're out at your station you can use your leave as you please.

Which brings me on to...

Leave in station/response - I can only talk for response because its all I personally have experience on. You get a certain amount of hours per year, April to April. This amount increases upon passing probation and when you reach your 7 years service. Certain times of the year such as July are obviously restricted, meaning only a percentage of people can be off on those dates. I have never seen or heard of anyone having their annual leave cancelled, for any reason whatsoever. But yes, in theory it can happen.

In terms of hours worked etc, some weeks can be long. Very long. My longest period of working without a rest day to date is 14 days. I haven't seen anyone work much more than that without at least 1 day off in between. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be and to be honest, in the last 2 months I've barely done 30 hours overtime each month (previously I'd be near 80-100 hours a month).

Which leads me on to finally... Don't talk utter balls if you don't know what you're talking about first hand. It doesn't help anyone.

Just don't rely on it lol I get loads of over time in work and it immediately goes into holidays, house savings or nice things. I never use it for bills. Although you could just become a TOIL monkey

Nap702 wrote: »

Which brings me on to...

Just don't rely on it lol I get loads of over time in work and it immediately goes into holidays, house savings or nice things. I never use it for bills. Although you could just become a TOIL monkey

Exactly banter that's what I do too atm. I have two jobs and work hard (without sounding cheesy) to play hard. Always like to have extra money there and treat myself when ever I want. Far better than just getting by each month. Plus also i have no kids so i make the most of it while i can lol

Also if anyone is a bit slow like me TOIL is time off in lieu lol lol lol cheers Google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Aye_Chihuahua

How is everyone's training for pca coming along? My Familiarisation is soon - hoping I can get to it but I've watched the crap out of the YouTube video of the course so I can picture it in my sleep lol.

Starting a 12 week training regimen in gym not so much to help with pca but so that in 3 months time when hopefully closer to getting a call, I'll be in the best shape of my life (which isn't that hard lol).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

How is everyone's training for pca coming along? My Familiarisation is soon - hoping I can get to it but I've watched the crap out of the YouTube video of the course so I can picture it in my sleep lol.

Starting a 12 week training regimen in gym not so much to help with pca but so that in 3 months time when hopefully closer to getting a call, I'll be in the best shape of my life (which isn't that hard lol).

They may get the defib ready. I am not as fit as I would like but I sure as hell will not be failing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

How is everyone's training for pca coming  along? My Familiarisation is soon - hoping I can get to it but I've watched the crap out of the YouTube video of the course so I can picture it in my sleep lol.

They may get the defib ready. I am not as fit as I would like but I sure as hell will not be failing it.
    I had this thought....I actually couldn't see one in the hall or the corridor. With regards to mouth to mouth, depending on the PTI it is pretty hit and miss lol. Just get stuck in with the HIIT and its really doable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

To answer some of the questions...

You will sign a form wavering your rights under the EU working hours laws, meaning you can work upwards of 60+ hours a week. Overtime is mandatory, but depending on your district you might not get much anyway. There will always be days and times you can't work overtime, because let's face it, you have a life and make plans for your rest days. In those instances you have to find someone to cover it for you. Overtime can be taken as pay or toil, it's up to you.

In regards to partial shifts, yes you can book half a shift off. If can be a pain in the ass but it's doable. Shifts fluctuate anywhere between 8 and 12 hours for me. Your 'break fime' is a privileged not a right according to my old Sergeant. There are days where you won't get one but usually you just ask the dispatchers to mark you up on a break, unless there's anything urgent happening then they should leave you alone

To answer some of the questions...

You will sign a form wavering your rights under the EU working hours laws, meaning you can work upwards of 60+ hours a week. Overtime is mandatory, but depending on your district you might not get much anyway. There will always be days and times you can't work overtime, because let's face it, you have a life and make plans for your rest days. In those instances you have to find someone to cover it for you. Overtime can be taken as pay or toil, it's up to you.

In regards to partial shifts, yes you can book half a shift off. If can be a pain in the ass but it's doable. Shifts fluctuate anywhere between 8 and 12 hours for me. Your 'break fime' is a privileged not a right according to my old Sergeant. There are days where you won't get one but usually you just ask the dispatchers to mark you up on a break, unless there's anything urgent happening then they should leave you alone
    Thanks for these insights. Fair play to you for sticking with the forum for so long in a job.

• Advertisement

This place was a huge help to me. Only fair I return the favour

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Slatprh

This place was a huge help to me. Only fair I return the favour
    On an average week what hours would you work? Or is it not that simple

Sadly not quite that simple. In any given 7 days you'll be doing atleast 40 hours give or take, without overtime. Overtime shift vary but are generally 10 or 12 hours depending what it's for so they add up quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Has anyone in the 2nd wave of fast track received their vetting back? I know it varies depending on the individual but a lot of the 1st wave received theirs back before having completed their medical. 2nd fast track medicals are complete now but doesn’t seem to be any vetting back

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Faugha wrote: »
    Has anyone in the 2nd wave of fast track received their vetting back? I know it varies depending on the individual but a lot of the 1st wave received theirs back before having completed their medical. 2nd fast track medicals are complete now but doesn’t seem to be any vetting back

I know a few people from the 2nd fast track group that have got theirs back however I haven't heard anything about mine either, although I know they had started it as I had an email as I had left a bit out on my form by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Lily79 wrote: »

I know a few people from the 2nd fast track group that have got theirs back however I haven't heard anything about mine either, although I know they had started it as I had an email as I had left a bit out on my form by accident.

Thanks for reply. How long ago was the email? I keep checking my credit file for searches but nothing. Spoke to a few people on wed at medical and they’d heard nothing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Thanks for reply. How long ago was the email? I keep checking my credit file for searches but nothing. Spoke to a few people on wed at medical and they’d heard nothing either.

the people that I was speaking to got theirs a week ago on Tuesday and they haven't even had their medical yet. I don't think my credit report has been checked yet either. I guess it's just a waiting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JECornette

Not sure about the new board look! I thought I had missed 50 pages in a day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Anyone know if you are lower on the merit list but appointable, do they skip higher candidates who are still awaiting stages to be completed etc/non appointable.

I assume they do, unsure though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Anyone know if you are lower on the merit list but appointable, do they skip higher candidates who are still awaiting stages to be completed etc/non appointable.

Would make sense I guess. I don't think this campaign is near that stage though

• Advertisement

They take from the Appointable list in order of merit.

So if someone is on 85 with vetting still outstanding then folk with a score of say 75 who have all stages passed will be taken.

Would make sense I guess. I don't think this campaign is near that stage though

There are people appointable. 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Saw a couple of officers earlier today and they looked so young..they actually looked like they had just left high school..I don't mind that but man it makes me feel so old lol

I honestly think there is a good mix. I'm in my late 20's and out of about 15 people at my PCA I would say that I was of median age comparatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Slatprh

Anyone else got a PCA date yet? I scored 55 in my AC, just wondering what stage are they at and if I have a while to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Think 64 is the lowest so far. 55-60 have a good while yet to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

stm1 wrote: »
    Who told you this

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

stm1 wrote: »
    Who told you this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Thought I read it somewhere on here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Spike1886

64 is the lowest score on here that has got the PCA email although I know a guy who scored 69 who hasn't got his yet.

Advertisement