Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Recruit 6 wrote: »
    Nap702 wrote: »
    Ponif wrote: »
    majgreen wrote: »
    Folks, it doesn't matter where you've placed on the merit list. You've just completed one of the hardest police recruitment processes in the UK, if not Europe. Just because there's a large merit list doesn't mean that people won't still drop out. There are those who will fail PCA, medic, smt or vetting, there are also those who will discover the job isn't for them. There are also people who won't make it all the way through GV.

Carry on with your life, take the holiday, take the new job if it comes up. But don't rule out a spot in GV.

If there is a new recruitment campaign later this year, and it flows the same way as this one did, then there's still potential for over 600 candidates to make it the college. We need all the active bodies we can get at the minute and the bosses know that, so I'd be surprised to see over 200 people on a merit list being binned.
    Would you say the changes to the PCA (3 month period to redo it) will affect the number of people who drop out compared to previous years, at the familiarisation just by looks alone I didn't see anyone I thought who would fail it given two chances but I know looks can be very deceiving.

Explain that to me, going forward does the PCA pass expire after 3 months?
    If you fail the pca you have to wait 3 months to try it again
    Pca pass expires after 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Folks, it doesn't matter where you've placed on the merit list. You've just completed one of the hardest police recruitment processes in the UK, if not Europe. Just because there's a large merit list doesn't mean that people won't still drop out. There are those who will fail PCA, medic, smt or vetting, there are also those who will discover the job isn't for them. There are also people who won't make it all the way through GV.

Carry on with your life, take the holiday, take the new job if it comes up. But don't rule out a spot in GV.

If there is a new recruitment campaign later this year, and it flows the same way as this one did, then there's still potential for over 600 candidates to make it the college. We need all the active bodies we can get at the minute and the bosses know that, so I'd be surprised to see over 200 people on a merit list being binned.
    Would you say the changes to the PCA (3 month period to redo it) will affect the number of people who drop out compared to previous years, at the familiarisation just by looks alone I didn't see anyone I thought who would fail it given two chances but I know looks can be very deceiving.

Incorrect.

You HAVE to try again in three months i. e. Your retest date is booked but you can attempt it at one of the support sessions but then that is taken as your re-test. So you could try again in a month if you have a support session a month after fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

It definitely did look and feel a lot harder than what is shown on the video, the course seems very small in the video but actually going into the hall you realise it's actually quite long.

Don’t underestimate it. That’s all I’m saying. As I’ve said previously, the first lap might be fine but don’t pace yourself. You will lose form by the third. You will get tired. It’s a maximum effort test. Run like the hammers.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

Incorrect.

You HAVE to try again in three months i. e. Your retest date is booked but you can attempt it at one of the support sessions but then that is taken as your re-test. So you could try again in a month if you have a support session a month after fail.
    Well I am going by what a pti told my mate at the pca so not sure why he would say that

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Incorrect.

Well I am going by what a pti told my mate at the pca so not sure why he would say that

I failed my pca and my retest was automatically booked for 3 months later but as said above, I can retest at any of the support sessions within those 3 months but you only get one restest chance

• Advertisement

Incorrect.

Your mate didn't listen. Or you didn't.

Are you always right

Incorrect.

Are you always right

Incorrect.

Are you always right

Nope. But at least 3 other people have stated that is the case on this thread...

Incorrect.

Are you always right

Nope. But at least 3 other people have stated that is the case on this thread...
    Am only joking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Ok ok! Easiest way to find out.

Has anyone in this current campaign, 1710, failed the PCA? Can you clarify what the next plan of action is?

In the last campaign you had it repeated 12 weeks later but you could complete it at a support session before that.

Is that still the case?

Goonerdee wrote: »

Has anyone in this current campaign, 1710, failed the PCA? Can you clarify what the next plan of action is?

In the last campaign you had it repeated 12 weeks later but you could complete it at a support session before that.

Is that still the case?

I already clarified just a few posts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ze0tech

After a nervous wait I got my merit list number. I'm between 430 - 440. It could be better obviously but I'll take it. Seeing fast trackers in here does not help with the waiting game. But to be in the top 1052 of more than 7k is an achievement in its self so to all those who passed. Very well done.

Did I read it right that there were some fast trackers that didn't complete online learning and are now off the list. (In a dog eat dog perspective that is fine by me) why did they let this happen.

Ze0tech wrote: »
    After a nervous wait I got my merit list number. I'm between 430 - 440. It could be better obviously but I'll take it. Seeing fast trackers in here does not help with the waiting game. But to be in the top 1052 of more than 7k is an achievement in its self so to all those who passed. Very well done.

Did I read it right that there were some fast trackers that didn't complete online learning and are now off the list. (In a dog eat dog perspective that is fine by me) why did they let this happen.

Who cares? Would you want folk tgat throughother by your side?

It has maybe already been said but it seems from the psni website that the first class will be getting the call within the next couple of weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Ze0tech

Who cares? Would you want folk tgat throughother by your side?

I guess not. It just moves me further up the list. Selfish I know but this pass has been a long wait and plenty of disappointment in previous campaigns. Onwards and upwards 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheBigLight

Don't be disheartened by the fast track folk - it's a good source of info and most folk have been good answering questions and queries.

Getting into the top 1000 out of all who applied is no mean feat!

Who knows the reasons why some people have not completed the online learning - it could be various reasons but helps weed out those who aren't fully committed etc

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

No one knows this for sure, pure speculation and if someone was privy to this sort of information they would be telling us a lot more, likewise anyone privy to such information surely would value their job more than to disclose it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Breezecop

Incorrect.

Are you always right

Pca lasts 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Lily79 wrote: »
    Goonerdee wrote: »

Is that still the case?

I already clarified just a few posts ago.

Oops, wrote that when at work, only glanced at a few posts before that.

• Advertisement

I don’t mean to state the obvious guys but there is a lot of people beating themselves up over their merit list number. There’s something to be said for passing the AC. By just passing you where in the top 10% roughly of total applicants. Those of you under 5-600 where almost in the top 5% of total applicants. Everyone who passed is a quality candidate. Irrespective of weather the police choose to exhaust this merit list or not, going into another campaign later this year with that in mind, your sure to get there eventually.

ML515 wrote: »
    I don’t mean to state the obvious guys but there is a lot of people beating themselves up over their merit list number. There’s something to be said for passing the AC. By just passing you where in the top 10% roughly of total applicants. Those of you under 5-600 where almost in the top 5% of total applicants. Everyone who passed is a quality candidate. Irrespective of weather the police choose to exhaust this merit list or not, going into another campaign later this year with that in mind, your sure to get there eventually.
    In reality not everyone of the 1052 are going to make it through all of the psni managed stages I would say by the time off drop outs and people who fail one if the stages numbers will be reduced to 500 to 700 people .

What's everyones opinion on that

In reality not everyone of the 1052 are going to make it through all of the psni managed stages I would say by the time off drop outs and people who fail one if the stages numbers will be reduced to 500 to 700 people .

My point is that it’s a brilliant springboard for the next campaign. I’m optimistic, not naive. Going into the next campaign, with the experience and knowledge of this one makes it far easier to redouble your efforts and push yourself across the line. There’s no point in speculating. With Brexit, anything can happen.

My point is that it’s a brilliant springboard for the next campaign. I’m optimistic, not naive. Going into the next campaign, with the experience and knowledge of this one makes it far easier to redouble your efforts and push yourself across the line. There’s no point in speculating. With Brexit, anything can happen.
    What region are you in the merit list

140-50.

140-50.
    So do you Think any one in the high numbers should think about the next campaign as you don't think it's possible this one

140-50.
    So do you Think any one in the high numbers should think about the next campaign as you don't think it's possible this one

That was my thrust of my initial message. People should be optimistic about this campaign and if it comes to pass, that the merit list is to be replaced before being exhausted it’s great prep for next time. It doesn’t matter what I or anyone else thinks though, it’s all speculation! Even if there is a long term play at play by police recruitment, that could be subject to change depending on finance, demand and of course Brexit and the border situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Everyone here would do well to remember that no one posting in this thread is a current member of the PSNI recruitment team and therefore not one person here, including the one kind PC who has shared some knowledge recently, has a single clue how they’re going about it bar some of the info gathered from the recent FOI findings. It’s clear there are some irregularities as some have been fast tracked ahead of others with higher scores.

Basically what I’m getting at, as someone who is looking at this logically, is that regardless of your merit position etc, just chill. That’s hard I know, I literally count the days down at the moment, but refreshing this thread every half hour waiting for some shining light of info will not help you or your mental state on this recruitment.

Good luck all and see you in GV soon. (I hope!)

"with brexit anything can happen" - now there's a political tagine they should have used lol

• Advertisement

Is it safe to post on this again after everyone came out of the woodwork over the last 36 hours?

For those who just appeared post merit list release, I'd recommend reading the prior posts from about late March onwards (except the unnecessary bickering between a few who can never get along on this lol) as you'll see what the fast track guys have posted as they did the various stages you'll now be encountering rather than everyone posting the same questions again and again.

Advertisement