Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

NiK9 wrote: »
    No please, no, no. Not another week, so close yet so far. I want to be getting it this Monday and handing in notice.

What was your rough merit place?
    Within the top 50, very rough I know, but if this board is monitored, I don't want to narrow it down to within 10-20 people, especially if we continue to post after this campaign.

Happy days. Hopfully won't be too long.
    With my current work I have to give 4 weeks notice. I won't be sending it until the 4 weeks before I intend to finish because God knows what amount of OT the might try and force on me before leaving lol.
    Count yourself lucky, in my line of work you usually need to give a years notice to resign! Lol
    If I'm even lucky enough to get accepted into PSNI, and im 370-400 I may need to rage against the machine to get out on time lol

That's a crazy long time. Don't know how anyone could possibly do that. Not many people know where they will be in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Joceyjoe

No please, no, no. Not another week, so close yet so far. I want to be getting it this Monday and handing in notice.

Within the top 50, very rough I know, but if this board is monitored, I don't want to narrow it down to within 10-20 people, especially if we continue to post after this campaign.

With my current work I have to give 4 weeks notice. I won't be sending it until the 4 weeks before I intend to finish because God knows what amount of OT the might try and force on me before leaving lol.
    Count yourself lucky, in my line of work you usually need to give a years notice to resign! Lol
    If I'm even lucky enough to get accepted into PSNI, and im 370-400 I may need to rage against the machine to get out on time lol

That’s very strange. No new job would wait a year for a new recruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GW88

Breezecop wrote: »
    Who here is 1-20 merit list ? Anyone any calls yet ?

June calls went out week starting 9th April.
    July calls (if it existsed) should have went out week 14th May
    Aug calls "should" be week starting 18th June.
    (If it sticks to the 5 week pattern).

Just want to hand my notice in lol but not accepting im in untill the call

Is no June or July intake. Last intake was may and next one isn’t until August supposedly

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

People in the 350 range have got pca dates so not long to yourself gets word for a pca date

GW88 wrote: »

Is no June or July intake. Last intake was may and next one isn’t until August supposedly

What makes you think there isn't a June class??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GW88

Not being negative but it seems to be anytime correct info is mentioned it’s questioned. I’m actively in 1509 still and it going in to GV in June. Next I take which I have been made aware of isn’t until August. Guys just have patience it will come eventually

Not being negative but it seems to be anytime correct info is mentioned it’s questioned. I’m actively in 1509 still and it going in to GV in June. Next I take which I have been made aware of isn’t until August. Guys just have patience it will come eventually[/quote

It’s already been confirmed the first class is August

Not being negative but it seems to be anytime correct info is mentioned it’s questioned. I’m actively in 1509 still and it going in to GV in June. Next I take which I have been made aware of isn’t until August. Guys just have patience it will come eventually

I didn't mean a June intake for 1710. I meant a June intake in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Doesany1know

Joceyjoe wrote: »

They wonder why they struggle to get new people to join the military. Lol
    I actually some my IST in the middle East lol

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Recruit 6

I take it your in the navy or raf lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

1 R Irish in Kabul? 😂😂😂

Wow that’s dedication, fair play to you :D

Wow that’s dedication, fair play to you :D
    Meant to say sat my IST in middle East. Predictive text always beats me.

Iraq is operational in supportive/training roles.

It's amazing to see how there's so many of us who actually want to get stuck in and make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Belroo99

I was told by a serving officer that there's generally about 4 sqauds of 20 in each intake, I don't recall seeing those types of numbers mentioned in the forum, has anyone else heard anything similar?

Belroo99 wrote: »
    I was told by a serving officer that there's generally about 4 sqauds of 20 in each intake, I don't recall seeing those types of numbers mentioned in the forum, has anyone else heard anything similar?

A squad means the whole intake. It's divided into classes of around that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Belroo99

Belroo99 wrote: »

A squad means the whole intake. It's divided into classes of around that number.
    So are we looking at 80 odds for the August intake?

Now that we all have a merit number and it gives some people a rough idea of time frames.
    Has anyone given a thought about...

What you're going to tell people you do for work now?
    Things that you may have to change in your life? e.g. a car that stands out too much to be driving in and out of a station every day?

Or has anyone started to buy things they may need? I recently got reccomended by a friend already in that i should buy a wee foam kneeling mat that fits in my car door for when searching under my car to stop myself from hurting my knee on a stone/getting trousers dirty.

Regards to the job, I already have a very "different" career that people don't understand and i work crazy shift patterns so I'll just keep saying I've kept my current role.

Now that we all have a merit number and it gives some people a rough idea of time frames.

Things that you may have to change in your life? e.g. a car that stands out too much to be driving in and out of a station every day?

Or has anyone started to buy things they may need? I recently got reccomended by a friend already in that i should buy a wee foam kneeling mat that fits in my car door for when searching under my car to stop myself from hurting my knee on a stone/getting trousers dirty.

Regards to the job, I already have a very "different" career that people don't understand and i work crazy shift patterns so I'll just keep saying I've kept my current role.
    Personally speaking from someone who is in the military.

It's just all about common sense. You wouldn't tell strangers your bank details so why would you tell them personal details.

It's inevitable family and friends will always tell a few people.

Saying civil service is a dead give away.

Just make sure whatever you say you can back up.

And as for looking under your car, doing that every morning or when ever you get in it draws so much attention itself.

It's just all about common sense. You wouldn't tell strangers your bank details so why would you tell them personal details.

And as for looking under your car, doing that every morning or when ever you get in it draws so much attention itself.

It may draw attention to your neighbours, a randomer going by won't think anything. but the DR's arnt going to waste an ied that is guaranteed to be found.

Learb8ng disability/mental health home. Shift work. Physical intervention. Must keep service users names confidential best cover I can think of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

As a few people have said, civil service is a dead give away. It’s the first thing I think of someone fits the profile. When you dig abit they get uncomfortable and say they work in some cleric role in some department they’re really not sure of...

I think it’s important to say you work in a role that’s going to turn people off, something boring that’s going to put someone off asking any further questions but will also justify your absence on Christmas days or weird shift patterns...

So tonight Matthew, I’m going to be.... **drum roll**

A BT Openreach engineer who always seems to be on telephone line repair standby.

It’s something I know enough about to bluff too. I know others who say they work in the health service etc.

It may draw attention to your neighbours, a randomer going by won't think anything. but the DR's arnt going to waste an ied that is guaranteed to be found.

It’s funny you should say that - I’ve heard it said before that if your being watched by DR you’re less likely to be targeted if you ARE looking under your car. They want someone more complacent. It’s been a long time since they had the stones to look a cop in the eye and pull a gun on someone who might be able to return the favour.

In certain areas when people see neighbours looking under cars they know what they are, but don't care. "Oh look another peeler"

If you are going to check under your car make sure you know what the underside of your car is MEANT to look like.

Some people do just go through the motions.

Take a photo of it on your phone for reference.

In certain areas when people see neighbours looking under cars they know what they are, but don't care. "Oh look another peeler"

If you are going to check under your car make sure you know what the underside of your car is MEANT to look like.

Haha! I can just imagine looking under my car thinking to myself “these magnets, wiring and explosives look out of place”

ML515 wrote: »

Haha! I can just imagine looking under my car thinking to myself “these magnets, wiring and explosives look out of place”

"Did I leave a lunch box under here?"

Personally my biggest worry is the partners car. I normally park in garage so I might just swap and let them park in it. Cause I know for a fact they won't bother to ever look under the cars. So atleast if parked in garage they won't have to.

Could buy one of those tiny wheel clamps and religiously apply it as a cover to have a look. Neighboirs will just think you're a belter and if they ask just say that you've had a car stole before...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Don't just check under your cars. Check wheel arches and tyres too. You'll be taught how to check properly in GV.

Frankly, I'd rather my neighbours saw me checking and assume my job. If people know I check, I'm less of a target to that particular threat.

Don't worry too much about what you're driving. It doesn't mean you need to go out and buy a bog standard Ford focus to blend in. Peelers drive all sorts of cars, audi's, bmws, vw's, everything. Its more important not to make your particular car stand out by having a number plate like 'P33L3R' or 'Cop 999' (a slight exaggeration but you get my drift), or certain stickers in windows. A Silver Audi A4 is harder to identify than a silver audi A4 with a baby on board sticker and personalised number plate, pinky fluffy dice on the mirror and rediculous custom rims.

I'd rather be known as the peeler who checks, than be remembered as the one who didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

I'd rather be known as the peeler who checks, than be remembered as the one who didn't.

Correct. It has always been the stance that it’s better to visibly check than to be dicked as the soft target who never bothers. With all of these thoughts being given to personal security it just gets more real but in no way a deterant. My thoughts now turn to dread at the thought of having to clear my garage out which is essentially the junk store lol

Advertisement