Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

belfast_22 wrote: »
    Not sure how it would work but what do you think the chances would be of a start in August if I’m just awaiting smt, if it takes a week it would be next week which is when calls are due?

Some of our SMT results took 3 weeks. So don't be worrying if you don't hear within the week.
    As to when you'll get called, like mentioned it just depends how many are also in waiting room and their scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 belfast_22

NiK9 wrote: »
    belfast_22 wrote: »
    Not sure how it would work but what do you think the chances would be of a start in August if I’m just awaiting smt, if it takes a week it would be next week which is when calls are due?

Some of our SMT results took 3 weeks. So don't be worrying if you don't hear within the week.
    As to when you'll get called, like mentioned it just depends how many are also in waiting room and their scores.

Yea your right as there could be a lot more than those who are on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

Did the PCA recently and passed easily enough, despite having difficulty with an obstacle that cost me a fair amount of time. The wall is only around six foot and the ledges are very easy to use, just treat it like a ladder. My tip is to breathe hard from the very start, rather than a minute into the course when the exertion starts to catch up with you. The hall I did it in (not sure if it is the same for everybody) is a weird environment that had myself and a few others coughing quite hard afterward.

From speaking to folks at the PCA there are a lot of lurkers and even they were aware of personalities on here, so just imagine what the PSNI monitors are thinking- and they will definitely be looking because this is the most obvious place that people could be publicly breaking the AC's non-disclosure agreement. Rein it in folks. Be polite, take a minute to review each post to make sure it is constructive and that you have said all that you want to say. From my own point of view it would be helpful if people would not use obscure acronyms/initialisms. We all know what the AC is, but we mostly won't know what the MHSU is (Mobile Headquarters Support Unit, if anybody is wondering).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Did the PCA recently and passed easily enough, despite having difficulty with an obstacle that cost me a fair amount of time. The wall is only around six foot and the ledges are very easy to use, just treat it like a ladder. My tip is to breathe hard from the very start, rather than a minute into the course when the exertion starts to catch up with you. The hall I did it in (not sure if it is the same for everybody) is a weird environment that had myself and a few others coughing quite hard afterward.

From speaking to folks at the PCA there are a lot of lurkers and even they were aware of personalities on here, so just imagine what the PSNI monitors are thinking- and they will definitely be looking because this is the most obvious place that people could be publicly breaking the AC's non-disclosure agreement. Rein it in folks. Be polite, take a minute to review each post to make sure it is constructive and that you have said all that you want to say. From my own point of view it would be helpful if people would not use obscure acronyms/initialisms. We all know what the AC is, but we mostly won't know what the MHSU is (Mobile Headquarters Support Unit, if anybody is wondering).

I'll bare that in mind for my pca, coming up soon

It's HMSU (not trying to be a d**k). If people don't know what things are they can ask or look it up lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Fair enough, very valid points. The board lacks dedicated moderation and we know that. Just regards to HMSU etc, If this is the career people want, it takes only two seconds to look up what these acronyms are. We want a career in criminal investigation after all. Although HMSU is quite obscure and unheard of, typing it out over and over is a pain lol. But yeah, I agree with the thrust of your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Gee2

Congrats on the pass - how would you describe your level of fitness?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

Car broke down and I didn't make it today, anyone know I'd I still have a chance I'm utterly gutted about this don't even know who to contact

Car broke down and I didn't make it today, anyone know I'd I still have a chance I'm utterly gutted about this don't even know who to contact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

Ponif wrote: »

Hey don’t know if it was PCA or medical you were due to attend but email and ring the recruitment team (101) and hopefully they give you an alternative appointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

What was it you missed? Pca? There has been a contact email address on most correspondence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Phone 101 and let them know mate. I would maybe get a mechanic to sign something for confirmation of the fault as some proof.

I passed the pca today and thought I would also give my contribution to the board. I said on here that at familiarisation it looked easy (I really thought it was going to be a piece of cake). But I got some shock come the end of lap 2 when my wee legs were already done.

I passed by a large enough margin but I was absolutely busted. Sore throat, jelly legs and thought I was going to spew. My push pull had more power in a fart. I was done.

Get training and don't under estimate it. Concentrate on your breathing from the start (as another boardie said). A lot of people end up holding their breath sub conciously when they exert effort bending down, pulling up, take all that oxygen in early that is my best advice.

Lastly, just picture yourself in those bottle greens as your on the start line. Do you want it? Go prove it.

Phone 101 and let them know mate. I would maybe get a mechanic to sign something for confirmation of the fault as some proof.

I passed the pca today and thought I would also give my contribution to the board. I said on here that at familiarisation it looked easy (I really thought it was going to be a piece of cake). But I got some shock come the end of lap 2 when my wee legs were already done.

I passed by a large enough margin but I was absolutely busted. Sore throat, jelly legs and thought I was going to spew. My push pull had more power in a fart. I was done.

Get training and don't under estimate it. Concentrate on your breathing from the start (as another boardie said). A lot of people end up holding their breath sub conciously when they exert effort bending down, pulling up, take all that oxygen in early that is my best advice.

Lastly, just picture yourself in those bottle greens as your on the start line. Do you want it? Go prove it.
    I'll already sent an email but I'll phone 101 tomorrow, mechanic hasn't looked at it yet (car just didn't start and I had to get a taxi which was late) thanks for the advice

To add to what Robo just said. I also passed the pca today and it was nice to put faces to the names of some of the boardies and also interesting to see the opinion some have of certain people on the board - one person kept getting mentioned by everyone for asking silly questions. I found it funny hearing my username crop up in a few chats.

Anyway, it was a pleasure to meet a great bunch of people today. To those that passed, well done. To those that didn't, get back training, it's the only thing you can do as long as you gave it 100% effort today.

Everyone keeps saying get to circuit classes, get to spin classes, go for runs..... And they are right. It's all fine and well being able to lift yourself over the wall once..... But can you do it when you're wrecked on the third lap? That's where the cardio comes in, even though it's (only?) a 4 min effort. If you can't afford the gym, get out running, do sprints, do bodyweight exercises that you can easily find online.

Best of luck to those who passed for the medical, etc and I hope to see you in gv soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GW88

Guys trust me it’s all worth it in the end, that moment when you find out you have passed whether it’s with loads of time I spare or by seconds. It’s a great sense of achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

GW88 wrote: »
    Guys trust me it’s all worth it in the end, that moment when you find out you have passed whether it’s with loads of time I spare or by seconds. It’s a great sense of achievement.

Pass is a pass, tick in the box that dream is that 1 step closer. Be proud of yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Mrmagooo

Hey all Well done to everyone who passed today I’m sure you are all over the moon, and for those who didn’t all the best for the next time round, have mine coming up soon, and I’m honestly more nervous about it than I was the AC. This is probably going to sound like a stupid question but what sort of level of fitness had you all going in to it? It says on the website for one of the training sessions running 5km aiming for 5 minutes per kilometre, and whilst I can just about manage this i am absolute toast afterwards. Went for a 3 mile run the other morning and felt sweet until the next day when I felt like someone had been using my knee as a trampoline hahaha, a bag of frozen peas carrots etc set up camp on it for the remainder of the evening.

Mrmagooo wrote: »
    Hey all Well done to everyone who passed today I’m sure you are all over the moon, and for those who didn’t all the best for the next time round, have mine coming up soon, and I’m honestly more nervous about it than I was the AC. This is probably going to sound like a stupid question but what sort of level of fitness had you all going in to it? It says on the website for one of the training sessions running 5km aiming for 5 minutes per kilometre, and whilst I can just about manage this i am absolute toast afterwards. Went for a 3 mile run the other morning and felt sweet until the next day when I felt like someone had been using my knee as a trampoline hahaha, a bag of frozen peas carrots etc set up camp on it for the remainder of the evening.

Training steady state runs is good as it increases your stamina but you need to include interval training HIIT is good.

Additionally. Do exercises that are sinlar to those at the PCA stations. But don't do them fresh try and do as many of them as you can when you are busted, that way you will be desensitised to it.

Cheers Banterbus28. I’ll get on it

Also i'd go to a running shop and get some gait analysis sounds loke your knee is taking a battering due to you not having a neutral strike. A self referral to podiatry wouln't go a miss. You will be weating boots in this job and you don't want to wreck your knees and hips.

I have a terrible tine with it as I have 2 completely collapsed arches so my feet are as flat as a pancake.

• Advertisement

It also pays to eat properly before the session, whenever I don't eat at least 400 kcal and a decent amount of carbs I throw up during intense workouts. Eat 2h before you head in and drink a decent amount of water

It also pays to eat properly before the session, whenever I don't eat at least 400 kcal and a decent amount of carbs I throw up during intense workouts. Eat 2h before you head in and drink a decent amount of water

1 1/2 portion of Pasta or Rice late the night before 😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I would say I am genuinely unfit and I passed by a large amount. But that was due to no mistakes and me going absolute hell for leather.

Id say if you could reach 6.5 on a 15m bleep test you could do that course in 3 min 54 at max effort.

Thanks robocop2k16. I’m just going to mix it up with runs and HIIT and a shed load of burpees and hope for the best. Congrats on the pass man.

Thanks robocop2k16. I’m just going to mix it up with runs and HIIT and a shed load of burpees and hope for the best. Congrats on the pass man.

Sit ups, lots of them. And 30 good form pressups in the morn and just before bed time should suffice.

I would say I am genuinely unfit and I passed by a large amount. But that was due to no mistakes and me going absolute hell for leather.

Id say if you could reach 6.5 on a 15m bleep test you could do that course in 3 min 54 at max effort.

Less bragging you lol. Some of us trained really hard lol...... Not that it's a competition (winky emoji)

Less bragging you lol. Some of us trained really hard lol...... Not that it's a competition (winky emoji)

Tolds you's already. It's all in yoir head. You all are physically capable of doing it

Tolds you's already. It's all in yoir head. You all are physically capable of doing it

Lol just banter with Robo.

Lol just banter with Robo.

I know. Just making a point.

• Advertisement

Fitness really depends on yourself and your current training.
    I passed PCA with a good time and never trained for running on the run up to the PCA.
    Give me 5mins sparring or rolling in the mats, or a circuit and I'm fine. 5 mins running and you may get the defib out for me lol.
    Train for the actual event. There isn't actually that much running in the PCA.

Advertisement