Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Confusedas wrote: »
    Faugha wrote: »
    Having been in similar situation... unsealed the hell out of the envelope and put it in a sealed envelope marked P&C FAO GP .... but in the end GP needed me there in person to fill it in so to expedite proceedings you may want to politely suggest to reception that you NEED an appointment with GP. Only giving my humble advice and of its wrong I stand corrected

Yeah, I had it in a sealed envelope with CONFIDENTIAL across it and the woman at the desk still proceeds to open it. Was slightly taken aback. May have to come in for an appointment not sure yet. You’d wonder why a few ticks and a signature could be such a hassle.

Yeah - I was wary of this too. I just booked an appointment. Explained the circumstances. Left it with my doctor with a sealed evenelope. £20 they charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Strange question (chill now banter, don’t get too excited).

What sort of confidentiality agreement if any do GP surgery staff need to adhere to? Just in terms of getting medical forms signed, I need to leave mine in to get signed by the GP as they do all of their paperwork on a single day. I assume they need to treat all documents with confidentiality in mind.

GDPR buddy would risk a malpractice charge if anything was breached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Joceyjoe

Having been in similar situation... unsealed the hell out of the envelope and put it in a sealed envelope marked P&C FAO GP .... but in the end GP needed me there in person to fill it in so to expedite proceedings you may want to politely suggest to reception that you NEED an appointment with GP. Only giving my humble advice and of its wrong I stand corrected

Yeah, I had it in a sealed envelope with CONFIDENTIAL across it and the woman at the desk still proceeds to open it. Was slightly taken aback. May have to come in for an appointment not sure yet. You’d wonder why a few ticks and a signature could be such a hassle.

If the letter is for doctors we open their post even if it says confidential unfortunately. It’s part of the job to weed out what’s actually for them and what admin can sort ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

You’d have though after all the ****ing emails about GDPR that would have rang a bell. Fair do’s.

Joceyjoe wrote: »

If the letter is for doctors we open their post even if it says confidential unfortunately. It’s part of the job to weed out what’s actually for them and what admin can sort ourselves.

Staff are bound by the same legislation

• Advertisement

You’d have though after all the ****ing emails about GDPR that would have rang a bell. Fair do’s.

Are you a silly servant to? Lok

Are you a silly servant to? Lok

Not yet ;)

Plus and I don’t mean this rude but I know in my office we couldn’t give a monkeys what each letter or document says we just want to get it all sorted and go home lol.

Plus and I don’t mean this rude but I know in my office we couldn’t give a monkeys what each letter or document says we just want to get it all sorted and go home lol.

Totally get that! I imagine I’d be the same. Just not the average form you want everyone to see though. Could be worse I suppose, could be a repeat prescription form for STI med’s :D

DR are toss pots though

• Advertisement

Totally get that! I imagine I’d be the same. Just not the average form you want everyone to see though. Could be worse I suppose, could be a repeat prescription form for STI med’s :D

Lol now that’s a different story :D but yeah I understand where you’re coming from definitely

DR as in dissident.

Doctors admin staff are generally grouchy becsuse they think it's a MED3 for the dole 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

How long does the PCA familiarisation last?

Nap702 wrote: »

You’ll be there roughly an hour (If you don’t arrive an hour early)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 belfast_22

any lurkers/people reading but not commenting, drop a line in and let us know what stage your at, it’ll all help towards seeing who else is in your position, plus it all adds to the hype, Anybody who got the call has the last major hurdle to go which is the hardest one, which country do you go to for a holiday lol

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Loremaster Teclis

Nap702 wrote: »
    Up to two hours if you want to hang about (maybe more, but after that you feel like it's maybe time to get a move on and let the staff get on with their day). Most people left after about an hour. The minimum is like 30 mins if you just want to see it and do all the parts once.

That's not including getting parked, getting changed before and after if necessary etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

belfast_22 wrote: »
    any lurkers/people reading but not commenting, drop a line in and let us know what stage your at, it’ll all help towards seeing who else is in your position, plus it all adds to the hype, Anybody who got the call has the last major hurdle to go which is the hardest one, which country do you go to for a holiday lol

Yes come say hello

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Slo18

Looking forward to putting names to faces when the familiarisation comes around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

Massive congratulations to all those that have got the call so far, can only imagine how buzzing you all must be!!

I’m just over 400 on the merit list so no PCA date yet as they seem to be upto around 350 for those booked in for July... nervous for the PCA when it does come, training as much as I can at the minute whilst working around 60 hours a week so not as much as I’d like. Just hard to know where you need to be fitness ways as there’s a lot of different opinions going around on here...

To those who got the call, out of curiosity what do you plan to tell those not in your close circle your new job is? And what did you tell work?

Grey8 wrote: »
    Massive congratulations to all those that have got the call so far, can only imagine how buzzing you all must be!!

I’m just over 400 on the merit list so no PCA date yet as they seem to be upto around 350 for those booked in for July... nervous for the PCA when it does come, training as much as I can at the minute whilst working around 60 hours a week so not as much as I’d like. Just hard to know where you need to be fitness ways as there’s a lot of different opinions going around on here...

To those who got the call, out of curiosity what do you plan to tell those not in your close circle your new job is? And what did you tell work?

I wpuldn't worry about PCA. Just train to do stuff like what's on the video when you're busted and it'll condition you so when you do it the only thing you'll have to worry about his the recycled air.

I honestly believe that you all are able to do it just gotta believe in yourself.

For core do sit ups when you get up and when you go to bed.

For strength do push ups when yoi get up and when you go to bed.

For cardio just do HIIT.

As for what to tell people outside of close circle. Make somethingup but in what you have a fairly good understanding off.

Work? You don't need to tell them anything. After your notice is up they have no hold on you at all.

• Advertisement

I wpuldn't worry about PCA. Just train to do stuff like what's on the video when you're busted and it'll condition you so when you do it the only thing you'll have to worry about his the recycled air.

I honestly believe that you all are able to do it just gotta believe in yourself.

For cardio just do HIIT.

As for what to tell people outside of close circle. Make somethingup but in what you have a fairly good understanding off.

Work? You don't need to tell them anything. After your notice is up they have no hold on you at all.

Yes know work has no hold however as I said, curiosity... & it depends where you work now on how you announcing you’re leaving will be taken, I’ve been in my job over 6 years, a lot of people including close work colleagues would question a job change now.

Also PCA is something everyone will worry about, it’s the last part of a very long application process that you can do anything about, medical vetting etc is all out of your hands and apparently online learning is a breeze so the PCA is the biggest thing standing in front of applicants at this point - wanting it badly makes you worry more.

For cardio just do HIIT.

Yes know work has no hold however as I said, curiosity... & it depends where you work now on how you announcing you’re leaving will be taken, I’ve been in my job over 6 years, a lot of people including close work colleagues would question a job change now.

Also PCA is something everyone will worry about, it’s the last part of a very long application process that you can do anything about, medical vetting etc is all out of your hands and apparently online learning is a breeze so the PCA is the biggest thing standing in front of applicants at this point - wanting it badly makes you worry more.

My point is a lot of you guys have a lot of self doubt but honesttly unless climbing the stairs is an issue for you's all have it. It's just training your mind to not give in. As you will mentally give up before you physically do.

For cardio just do HIIT.

My point is a lot of you guys have a lot of self doubt but honesttly unless climbing the stairs is an issue for you's all have it. It's just training your mind to not give in. As you will mentally give up before you physically do.

Yes I get what you’re saying thanks... was hoping for some advice of those who have done it recently as to where they were honestly at fitness ways for the PCA... I work long hours so I’m out of the house 12-14 hours a day and can’t train as much as I’d like unfortunately

For cardio just do HIIT.

Yes I get what you’re saying thanks... was hoping for some advice of those who have done it recently as to where they were honestly at fitness ways for the PCA... I work long hours so I’m out of the house 12-14 hours a day and can’t train as much as I’d like unfortunately

HIITs perfect for you it's designed for people with busy schedules. 30 mins of HIIT at max effort 2 or 3 times a week would suffice.

Plus doing sit ups and press ups before bed and after waking means you can do them with minimal impact on your routine. My advoce was aimed specifically at you and your situation.

Not to discredit banter on his advice but in my opinion a few sit ups here and press ups there won’t do you much good.

I had mine last week, and in all honesty I think your best bet is to hit the hill sprints. I think they’re the only thing that can really get you breathing and aching like the PCA can IMHO.

Banter is right about the mentality thing though, come the 2nd lap I was feeling it, as should anyone giving it 100%. But do what I did, and it seems cringe but make a deal with yourself at each section, tell yourself you have to get to the end of this lap for whatever reason. Be it a Big Mac after or a pint that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lookff

Hi all, a long time lurker who occasionally has a look to see what's being discussed!
    I've spoke via private message to a few on here but tbh I've just quietly got on with it keeping the process mostly to myself in case didn't make it!

Thankfully I've had 'the call' so I guess I'll be seeing some of you very soon. A massive congratulations to everyone so far. Hurdle after hurdle, patiently waiting for an email after completing each part and anticipating the answer has been somewhat stressful... But I'm so happy, the hard work has paid off. Now to start even more hard work in Garneville. It'll be interesting putting a face to the profile names!! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Lookff wrote: »

Hi all, a long time lurker who occasionally has a look to see what's being discussed!
    I've spoke via private message to a few on here but tbh I've just quietly got on with it keeping the process mostly to myself in case didn't make it!

Thankfully I've had 'the call' so I guess I'll be seeing some of you very soon. A massive congratulations to everyone so far. Hurdle after hurdle, patiently waiting for an email after completing each part and anticipating the answer has been somewhat stressful... But I'm so happy, the hard work has paid off. Now to start even more hard work in Garneville. It'll be interesting putting a face to the profile names!! 😂

Well said. See you soon

Not to discredit banter on his advice but in my opinion a few sit ups here and press ups there won’t do you much good.

I had mine last week, and in all honesty I think your best bet is to hit the hill sprints. I think they’re the only thing that can really get you breathing and aching like the PCA can IMHO.

Banter is right about the mentality thing though, come the 2nd lap I was feeling it, as should anyone giving it 100%. But do what I did, and it seems cringe but make a deal with yourself at each section, tell yourself you have to get to the end of this lap for whatever reason. Be it a Big Mac after or a pint that night.

Thank you.. I’ve plans to start some form of sprinting this week though I’ll work upto the hills. Know I’ve still a wait to go for my PCA but I’d like to get as much practical advice and training in as possible before then so I appreciate the reply. Is there much upper body strength involved in the course? I know there’s kettle bells and the drag which I’m not concerned about and someone else said the wall had pretty generious ledges to be able to use like a ladder?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully not blocking the feed up but I’m sure others would be interested to know too.

Congrats on passing yours though!!

By sit ups before bed i mean 40+ in 1 go. Best to do 40 or 50 then push until failure.

For pressups i mean do 25 good form then push until failure.

So that's 80 sit ups a day guaranteed plus whatever you push yourself to.

And 50 pressups a day plus whatever you push to.

Say 5 days a week.

That's 250 press ups a week and 400 sit ups a week. On top of cardio. Trust me core is very important and upper body strength is equally important.

• Advertisement

Thank you.. I’ve plans to start some form of sprinting this week though I’ll work upto the hills. Know I’ve still a wait to go for my PCA but I’d like to get as much practical advice and training in as possible before then so I appreciate the reply. Is there much upper body strength involved in the course? I know there’s kettle bells and the drag which I’m not concerned about and someone else said the wall had pretty generious ledges to be able to use like a ladder?

Sorry for all the questions, hopefully not blocking the feed up but I’m sure others would be interested to know too.

Congrats on passing yours though!!

As long as you can comfortably lift your own weight then you will be grand.

Although what you should try is when training and hitting your limit, then try to pull yourself up over a wall if possible. It’s much harder getting over that wall on the last lap than it is the first. As for the drag bag, try training when carrying extra weight, I wouldn’t worry too much about the bag though.

Thanks and good luck for yours.

Advertisement