Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Yes train specifically for the PCA but if you have trained for x amount of time to pass PCA why not continue it?

You want to be as fit as you can be going into this jobs as it will make everything else easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

WRT to fitness: my advice to @grey8 is just do what you feel you need to do in order to best prepare yourself for the PCA. There is an abundance of info including videos etc. Yes as posted by people above me, you can do HIIT etc or various routines, but when your stood on the start line you need to know that YOU have put enough work in to nail it. Please do not take this as me being rude as I would not be so, but if you are seeking some form of reassurance or solace that it’s perhaps not as hard as it seems or hyped to be and you can rock up and wing it; forget that. I do those hours and more and I understand that life can get in the way of training but I would simply say do all you can and start today, 4 mins of pain and you can have a lifetime career. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Faugha wrote: »
    WRT to fitness: my advice to @grey8 is just do what you feel you need to do in order to best prepare yourself for the PCA. There is an abundance of info including videos etc. Yes as posted by people above me, you can do HIIT etc or various routines, but when your stood on the start line you need to know that YOU have put enough work in to nail it. Please do not take this as me being rude as I would not be so, but if you are seeking some form of reassurance or solace that it’s perhaps not as hard as it seems or hyped to be and you can rock up and wing it; forget that. I do those hours and more and I understand that life can get in the way of training but I would simply say do all you can and start today, 4 mins of pain and you can have a lifetime career. Best of luck.

Almost poetic :rolleyes:

I had a wild lazy spell after injury and HIIT brought me back to baseline really rapidly. It works but aslong as you do it right ans make sure you take rest days and eat right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cazzie23

Hi everyone, long time lurker. I want to congratulate everyone on here for doing so well in the process. Unfortunately I missed the mark by a quarter of a mark 😩 but it was great experience for my first time. My husband is a serving officer and I am a police civilian so if there is anything anyone needs advice with please just ask and if I don’t know I will ask my husband. I can guarantee though if we don’t know I won’t guess at the answers. Best of luck to you all and who knows I maybe working along side you someday either in my current role or as an officer

• Advertisement

Confusedas wrote: »

I’m quitting my job as an inspirational speaker to become a peeler but ssshhhhh it’s a secret lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

I’m quitting my job as an inspirational speaker to become a peeler but ssshhhhh it’s a secret lol

It's David meade joining the psni! Calling it now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Arniez12

cazzie23 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, long time lurker. I want to congratulate everyone on here for doing so well in the process. Unfortunately I missed the mark by a quarter of a mark 😩 but it was great experience for my first time. My husband is a serving officer and I am a police civilian so if there is anything anyone needs advice with please just ask and if I don’t know I will ask my husband. I can guarantee though if we don’t know I won’t guess at the answers. Best of luck to you all and who knows I maybe working along side you someday either in my current role or as an officer

That’s unfortunate, however you will deffo be in better standing for next time. I’m sure you will be a good source of knowledge on the form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Thanks for letting us know regardless of how you did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Thanks for letting us know regardless of how you did

Yea thanks for saying Hi. Dont worry you have this autumn to go again. If want any help to squeeze a few extra Mark's in AC I can PM you the only few tips I know closer to the time.

• Advertisement

Thank you so much my colleagues and husband believe I over thought everything with having inside experience but my head is back up and feeling positive and I have a good job in the police service, best of luck for the next stage of the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

Hey thanks for your reply, I wasn’t looking any form of reassurance or solace that it’s not as hard as it seems, I know where I am fitness ways and know I’ve a lot of work to do to be more confident I can nail it, commenting on here is the only way to speak to anyone with experience so though I’d give it a go, I understand why a lot of people watching this board don’t comment, it’s hard to ask a question and not get some negative response... best of luck for August.

Grey8 wrote: »

Hey thanks for your reply, I wasn’t looking any form of reassurance or solace that it’s not as hard as it seems, I know where I am fitness ways and know I’ve a lot of work to do to be more confident I can nail it, commenting on here is the only way to speak to anyone with experience so though I’d give it a go, I understand why a lot of people watching this board don’t comment, it’s hard to ask a question and not get some negative response... best of luck for August.

Please please do not think I was being negetive, not my intention at all. Your right to ask your questions and I sincerely apologise if my comments didn’t come across in the manner intended which was purely supportive and positive. I think what must be taken from it is that it is achievable to anyone, just give it everything you’ve got.

Please please do not think I was being negetive, not my intention at all. Your right to ask your questions and I sincerely apologise if my comments didn’t come across in the manner intended which was purely supportive and positive. I think what must be taken from it is that it is achievable to anyone, just give it everything you’ve got.

Thank you!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waiting88

I also struggle to get fitness in with a full time job 2 kids and partner a serving officer I don’t get much free time. I have been doing stair sprints in my house along with star jumps, knee highs, jump squats and some push ups to help me weak arms lol. I do it all timed and hope to see improvement soon. It’s quick and simple and I’m absolutely busted after!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭GW88

Guys as much as everyone is saying what will prepare you for the PCA it’s a case of mind over matter also. Get your breathing sorted a lot of people when exercise don’t breath through their nose, start that while doing interval training or any physical training. If you go in with a positive mind and give it your all you have as much chance as any1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Joceyjoe

Waiting88 wrote: »
    I also struggle to get fitness in with a full time job 2 kids and partner a serving officer I don’t get much free time. I have been doing stair sprints in my house along with star jumps, knee highs, jump squats and some push ups to help me weak arms lol. I do it all timed and hope to see improvement soon. It’s quick and simple and I’m absolutely busted after!

Sure when you pay for a personal trainer that’s the type of stuff they make you do so that’s a very good idea doing it at home for free :)

Good stuff. Like others have said, it’s mostly mental too.

Would you mind answering a question for me though and I hope it’s not too personal but seeing as your other half is serving you would know best. The only worry for me after security is my family life with my other half, we don’t have kids at the moment but I can see that happening fairly soon (post GV mind you). Does your family life suffer a massive amount? We currently both work 9-5 so my potential new schedule is going to throw a spanner in the works.

I suppose in a way everyone is different but it’d be interesting to know your opinion, especially as you have kids as well.

My husband is a serving officer and honestly where he is stationed, our family time suffers a lot. We have had many fall outs over the years due to his shifts and being changed at short notice but if you’re partner is supportive and understanding (at times) then you will be fine. Your whole lifestyle will change re when you can go on holiday or going out at the weekend. It’s great you are looking at it from the other side as personal life is important

Would you mind answering a question for me though and I hope it’s not too personal but seeing as your other half is serving you would know best. The only worry for me after security is my family life with my other half, we don’t have kids at the moment but I can see that happening fairly soon (post GV mind you). Does your family life suffer a massive amount? We currently both work 9-5 so my potential new schedule is going to throw a spanner in the works.

I suppose in a way everyone is different but it’d be interesting to know your opinion, especially as you have kids as well.

On a plus side shift work cuts down on child care costs.

• Advertisement

My husband is a serving officer and honestly where he is stationed, our family time suffers a lot. We have had many fall outs over the years due to his shifts and being changed at short notice but if you’re partner is supportive and understanding (at times) then you will be fine. Your whole lifestyle will change re when you can go on holiday or going out at the weekend. It’s great you are looking at it from the other side as personal life is important

Ah yes cazzie23 I noticed you were in a similar spot. Hard luck by the way. But I imagine being PSNI Civi comes with a lot of exciting work.

Yeah I though as much. My partner is nearly more excited for me than I am at the minute, don’t think she realises what it could all mean.

Must admit this did cross my mind. With the other half on flexi time and me possibly heading to shift work, things might actually work out for the better. Who knows.

Must admit this did cross my mind. With the other half on flexi time and me possibly heading to shift work, things might actually work out for the better. Who knows.

Can juat become a TOIL monkey although you'll not be able to properly utilise that until after probation.

Ah yes cazzie23 I noticed you were in a similar spot. Hard luck by the way. But I imagine being PSNI Civi comes with a lot of exciting work.

Yeah I though as much. My partner is nearly more excited for me than I am at the minute, don’t think she realises what it could all mean.

Wasn’t my time! It’s good she is excited it shows she is 100% behind you but there will definitely be ups and downs, best of luck with the rest of the process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

You absolutely can achieve it. The PCA itself is not that difficult. It is the giving it maximum effort which makes it feel very tough. The harder you go the harder it will feel.

Breath from the start it’s very important, take a good quick pace (don’t kill yourself on the first lap but go fast, this is where you put Time in the bank). By the bag drag on lap 2 you will be feeling it. That’s when your head says “you can’t do this”. You just have to say “yes I f***ing can!!” and just blitz on through the pain. Dont dare slow down.

You absolutely can achieve it. The PCA itself is not that difficult. It is the giving it maximum effort which makes it feel very tough. The harder you go the harder it will feel.

Breath from the start it’s very important, take a good quick pace (don’t kill yourself on the first lap but go fast, this is where you put Time in the bank). By the bag drag on lap 2 you will be feeling it. That’s when your head says “you can’t do this”. You just have to say “yes I f***ing can!!” and just blitz on through the pain. Dont dare slow down.

Thank you! Think I’ll keep that last bit “don’t you dare slow down” repeating in my head when it comes to it and do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Thank you! Think I’ll keep that last bit “don’t you dare slow down” repeating in my head when it comes to it and do my best.
    I think I echo most peoples thoughts with the mental side of this. 2 weeks prior to my PCA I was in probably the worst shape I've been in for a long time but I believe it was just the desire to pass that got me over the line. I think getting used to the feeling of pushing when you feel like you're about to give up is one of the best ways to prepare for the PCA. Good luck with it, hope you smash it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Breezecop

If you are at this stage and your just asking that question i think your in for a big shock. You get kept on , you dont finish when your ment to, you do extra shifts your rest days get canled ... thats just how it is

Breezecop wrote: »
    If you are at this stage and your just asking that question i think your in for a big shock. You get kept on , you dont finish when your ment to, you do extra shifts your rest days get canled ... thats just how it is

As are you at GV if you don’t read questions properly. I was merely asking someone here who is married to an officer what their own feelings are on the job in terms of family life. An officer may think family life isn’t too harshly affected whilst their other half may have an entirely different point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Waiting88

My partner is in one of the busiest stations in the country so it may not be the same for everyone but it really depends on the time of year and what shifts he is on. When he is on late shifts we don’t see each other much but early and day shifts it’s completely fine. I am currently 9-5 office job so it can be hard to schedule things with him as he can be off during the week and me the weekend so all depends on when his days off fall, the next two weekends he will be off but then he can be working the next 2 months every weekend. I have got used to it now but there can be times when it feels abit relentless. I always get him to send me a picture of his rota so I can plan stuff from it. Hope this helps and doesn’t come across negative. We try to make the most of it even if it’s a quick coffee together and listen to what he has done in Work that nightshift before I go out to work lol.

Advertisement