Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ChillFactor

majgreen wrote: »
    Wonder how many squads GV can cope with at any one time obviously space and resources is an issue.

5 at a time

So roughly 250 students as we’re guessing 50 per squad. We’re all great at guess work haha,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Wonder how many squads GV can cope with at any one time obviously space and resources is an issue.

5 at a time

So roughly 250 students as we’re guessing 50 per squad. We’re all great at guess work haha,

Nope MajGreen knows. Been there down that. And i know he's right lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

5 at a time

Been there and done it, not so much guess work for me. Not much has changed since, squad sizes tend to fluctuate in size but still roughly the same number

5 at a time

Been there and done it, not so much guess work for me. Not much has changed since, squad sizes tend to fluctuate in size but still roughly the same number

Additionally more student officers means more trainers which means more officers off the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

NiK9 wrote: »
    Nap702 wrote: »
    I wounder if 'anotherhopeful' could help us out with squad numbers and anything GV related.

After all he/she was the first to mention an August intake and was right about it.

None of us will know about numbers until the induction.

And none of you knew about what month would be your intake until the calls went out.

But a good few weeks before the calls Anotherhopeful was confident it was August. This person knows stuff.

People had been saying June or Aug for months. Was always a 50% chance of being right lol. I said to Faugha a good few weeks ago in a DM that calls would be coming out on the 18th. Thu k I also mentioned it In a post. I was right, doesn't mean I "know stuff" lol.
    This is the first class of 1710 so no one will know anything about it until induction we can't go by other campaigns since ours has been so diff.

When do you think we can expect the next batch of calls? 4 or 5 weeks from the 18th?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

ML515 wrote: »
    I wounder if 'anotherhopeful' could help us out with squad numbers and anything GV related.

After all he/she was the first to mention an August intake and was right about it.

None of us will know about numbers until the induction.

And none of you knew about what month would be your intake until the calls went out.

But a good few weeks before the calls Anotherhopeful was confident it was August. This person knows stuff.

People had been saying June or Aug for months. Was always a 50% chance of being right lol. I said to Faugha a good few weeks ago in a DM that calls would be coming out on the 18th. Thu k I also mentioned it In a post. I was right, doesn't mean I "know stuff" lol.
    This is the first class of 1710 so no one will know anything about it until induction we can't go by other campaigns since ours has been so diff.

When do you think we can expect the next batch of calls? 4 or 5 weeks from the 18th?
    Same time next month I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cazzie23

5 at a time

Recently squads (intakes) have been around 36-40 and this is split between 2-3 trainers for more manageable classes. There is an intake every 4-5 weeks so there will only be 5 squads in GV by December/January (they may not take a squad in December due to Christmas season) Training is 6 months in GV and 2 months operational training (firearms and driving courses) so the August intake will be ready for duty in March 2019

cazzie23 wrote: »

5 at a time

Recently squads (intakes) have been around 36-40 and this is split between 2-3 trainers for more manageable classes. There is an intake every 4-5 weeks so there will only be 5 squads in GV by December/January (they may not take a squad in December due to Christmas season) Training is 6 months in GV and 2 months operational training (firearms and driving courses) so the August intake will be ready for duty in March 2019

Would they not be out on the ground in January 2019?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Gee2

5 at a time

I would say your right. Is the operational training not part of the 6 months training, not an additional 2 months after the initial 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waiting88

They should be ready January

• Advertisement

5 at a time

You have to pass your firearms and driving courses hence the extra 2 months however this will not be in GV then you will be a fully operational officer

5 at a time

You have to pass your firearms and driving courses hence the extra 2 months however this will not be in GV then you will be a fully operational officer

Nope the 2 weeks operational training is done within a year of passing out.

G36 and driving.

Driving is not essential so it’s done once in station when they can fit you in. You have to be gun trained before passing out. Not everyone gets g36 trained so it’s something you can opt to do the training for.

Waiting88 wrote: »
    Driving is not essential so it’s done once in station when they can fit you in. You have to be gun trained before passing out. Not everyone gets g36 trained so it’s something you can opt to do the training for.

You book yourself on both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Tom_90

Makes pretty grim reading for anyone in the 400 plus bracket to be honest. We are basically 9 squads away from GV which puts us at this time next year. By then there’ll be a new merit list I’m sure

Tom_90 wrote: »
    Makes pretty grim reading for anyone in the 400 plus bracket to be honest. We are basically 9 squads away from GV which puts us at this time next year. By then there’ll be a new merit list I’m sure

Peoppe will fail stages, take themselves off the list, no show induction/day one. So many variables.

The current intake is taking people from 100+ places. So 400+ won’t be long reached. They wouldn’t taken so many into the list if they didn’t think there was a chance they will be needed.

True but it’s not going to be the difference of hundreds I think that’s a bit of a stretch

Optional tho you don’t have to do them.

Optional tho you don’t have to do them.

Apologies just asked my husband, yes basic firearm training is incorporated in training in GV

• Advertisement

My understanding is this, If there’s only 50 per squad and only 5 squads at GV then they’ll reach 250 students max and then there’s no one else getting through the doors to January. In January it’ll be squads from 250 onwards with another squad of max 50 people every month until the new merit list comes from the supposed autumn recruitment, which for us was mid May

My understanding is this, If there’s only 50 per squad and only 5 squads at GV then they’ll reach 250 students max and then there’s no one else getting through the doors to January. In January it’ll be squads from 250 onwards with another squad of max 50 people every month until the new merit list comes from the supposed autumn recruitment, which for us was mid May

They will be (hopefully) well past 250 on the merit list by Jan. They are 100+ after 1 intake. Not everyone on the list gets in.

Don't forget 2nd PCA fails, medical fails and vetting fails.

Gee2 wrote: »

They will be (hopefully) well past 250 on the merit list by Jan. They are 100+ after 1 intake. Not everyone on the list gets in.

I really hope your right. Would be sickening to be told we have all met the standard they have set to be a Constable for them then to bin us off. We will just have to wait and see I guess!

I really hope your right. Would be sickening to be told we have all met the standard they have set to be a Constable for them then to bin us off. We will just have to wait and see I guess!

Been there, done that. Hopefully there are no budgeting issues this time, as numbers are required.

I think you will be alright believe it or not student officers resign on a weekly basis and there is even the odd dismissal, so stay positive I’m sure you will get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

I'm sitting on the merit list 475-500. I'm keeping positive for an Oct/Nov PCA and all being well the call in Mar/Apr.

Gotta be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Yellow321

stm1 wrote: »
    I'm sitting on the merit list 475-500. I'm keeping positive for an Oct/Nov PCA and all being well the call in Mar/Apr.

Gotta be positive.
    Same position as me buddy !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

Yellow321 wrote: »
    stm1 wrote: »

Gotta be positive.
    Same position as me buddy !

I’m 400-425 and think ( I’m hopeful) it may be a little earlier than Oct/Nov for us lot, they have upto merit position 350 booked in for PCA in July already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

I think you will be alright believe it or not student officers resign on a weekly basis and there is even the odd dismissal, so stay positive I’m sure you will get there

That is strangely unreassuring for the rest of us...

Advertisement