Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Arniez12

Yellow321 wrote: »
    stm1 wrote: »
    I'm sitting on the merit list 475-500. I'm keeping positive for an Oct/Nov PCA and all being well the call in Mar/Apr.

Gotta be positive.
    Same position as me buddy !

Same over here...fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cazzie23

I really hope your right. Would be sickening to be told we have all met the standard they have set to be a Constable for them then to bin us off. We will just have to wait and see I guess![/quote]
    Tom_90 wrote: »
    Gee2 wrote: »
    Tom_90 wrote: »
    My understanding is this, If there’s only 50 per squad and only 5 squads at GV then they’ll reach 250 students max and then there’s no one else getting through the doors to January. In January it’ll be squads from 250 onwards with another squad of max 50 people every month until the new merit list comes from the supposed autumn recruitment, which for us was mid May

They will be (hopefully) well past 250 on the merit list by Jan. They are 100+ after 1 intake. Not everyone on the list gets in.

I really hope your right. Would be sickening to be told we have all met the standard they have set to be a Constable for them then to bin us off. We will just have to wait and see I guess!

I think you will be alright believe it or not student officers resign on a weekly basis and there is even the odd dismissal, so stay positive I’m sure you will get there[/quote]

That is strangely unreassuring for the rest of us...[/quote]

It was not meant to unsettle anyone, its a bit of positivity for people further down the merit list who think they might not have an opportunity. It is no different than previous comments that people will fail the pca, vetting etc. It is a reality that people do leave GV for their own reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

cazzie23 wrote: »
    majgreen wrote: »
    Wonder how many squads GV can cope with at any one time obviously space and resources is an issue.

5 at a time

So roughly 250 students as we’re guessing 50 per squad. We’re all great at guess work haha,

Recently squads (intakes) have been around 36-40 and this is split between 2-3 trainers for more manageable classes. There is an intake every 4-5 weeks so there will only be 5 squads in GV by December/January (they may not take a squad in December due to Christmas season) Training is 6 months in GV and 2 months operational training (firearms and driving courses) so the August intake will be ready for duty in March 2019

Would they not be out on the ground in January 2019?

You have to pass your firearms and driving courses hence the extra 2 months however this will not be in GV then you will be a fully operational officer

Nope the 2 weeks operational training is done within a year of passing out.

G36 and driving.

There is no 2 months operational training. You complete 6 months in GV which includes your service handgun and tactical training. Once you leave garnerville you are operational at station. Every training course thereafter is applied for, ie. Driving, G36, method of entry, Stinger etc etc. The 2 months operational training was scrapped a long long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Wonder how many squads GV can cope with at any one time obviously space and resources is an issue.

5 at a time

So roughly 250 students as we’re guessing 50 per squad. We’re all great at guess work haha,

Recently squads (intakes) have been around 36-40 and this is split between 2-3 trainers for more manageable classes. There is an intake every 4-5 weeks so there will only be 5 squads in GV by December/January (they may not take a squad in December due to Christmas season) Training is 6 months in GV and 2 months operational training (firearms and driving courses) so the August intake will be ready for duty in March 2019

You have to pass your firearms and driving courses hence the extra 2 months however this will not be in GV then you will be a fully operational officer

G36 and driving.

There is no 2 months operational training. You complete 6 months in GV which includes your service handgun and tactical training. Once you leave garnerville you are operational at station. Every training course thereafter is applied for, ie. Driving, G36, method of entry, Stinger etc etc. The 2 months operational training was scrapped a long long time ago

Is it hard to sign on to those courses maj? I can just imagine there is a reluctance at your station to give you time off for training that isn’t “essential” based on my experience in other workplaces. How long can be expected before most constables have done it all?

ML515 wrote: »

5 at a time

G36 and driving.

Is it hard to sign on to those courses maj? I can just imagine there is a reluctance at your station to give you time off for training that isn’t “essential” based on my experience in other workplaces. How long can be expected before most constables have done it all?

It really depends on your station and their needs. I was on the G36 course within 2 months of coming to station, whereas my squad mates out in the country waited over a year. They like having people trained in a whole spectrum of skills so provided there are spaces then they'll book you in ASAP. Some courses take longer than others because they're so popular, like pursuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

It really depends on your station and their needs. I was on the G36 course within 2 months of coming to station, whereas my squad mates out in the country waited over a year. They like having people trained in a whole spectrum of skills so provided there are spaces then they'll book you in ASAP. Some courses take longer than others because they're so popular, like pursuit.

04:56...you lads on the night shifts already?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

Still hoping I'm gonna get a new date soon, think they will lump me in with the PCA dates for the people down lower on the merit list, I was 252 but I missed it so heres hoping. In the meantime I've probably lost about 10-15 pounds going all out in the fitness:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 belfast_22

So now the August batch is filled, any ideas on when the next batch of calls could be as I’m guessing we could maybe see things slowing down during July

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

belfast_22 wrote: »
    So now the August batch is filled, any ideas on when the next batch of calls could be as I’m guessing we could maybe see things slowing down during July
    Same time in July I'd guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

belfast_22 wrote: »

Usually go out every 5 weeks. So W/C 23 July.

• Advertisement

Confusedas wrote: »

I've the best part of 3 years done lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Confusedas wrote: »

I've the best part of 3 years done lol

Is all of probation paid at pay point 1?

Nope. Your pay increases on graduation and then every year on the date you started GV. You'll be halfway to pay point 3 by the time you're signed out

Nope. Your pay increases on graduation and then every year on the date you started GV. You'll be halfway to pay point 3 by the time you're signed out

Thank balls. For all you guys getting in and us hopefuls waiting for our next chance.

The wording isn't clear on the join PSNI salary section.

Cheers Majgreen

That's really good. I thought pay stayed the same for the first 2 years

NiK9 wrote: »
    Pints on your after you pass out huh!

Haha. I'll be in a good few years before the pay drop rises to what I've been used to for the past number of years. But totally worth it. This will sound weird for people who currently have a 9-5 job, but I'm looking forward to having more days off in the police. And working less hours per day lol.
    And Xmas/ New year during GV will be first Xmas I've had off since 2012 and NYE since 2011 lmao.

Haha. I'll be in a good few years before the pay drop rises to what I've been used to for the past number of years. But totally worth it. This will sound weird for people who currently have a 9-5 job, but I'm looking forward to having more days off in the police. And working less hours per day lol.
    And Xmas/ New year during GV will be first Xmas I've had off since 2012 and NYE since 2011 lmao.

Gonna be a TOIL monkey then? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waiting88

Anyone else get psni email? Makes for unhopeful reading for my merit bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Joceyjoe

Waiting88 wrote: »
    Anyone else get psni email? Makes for unhopeful reading for my merit bracket

Yep 350 officers so far until March. Doesn’t mean they won’t take people after then. I’m remaining hopeful for my 600+ bracket lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

New email just received from the recruitment team - they are progressing 350 applicants through the PSNI managed stages to be able to make appointments upto March 2019.

So this isn’t too positive for anyone over 350 on merit list as they won’t even start contacting us until March 2019, is this right? (Guessing everyone got the email!)

Don’t see how this works well if people fail stages etc but the email isn’t positive for any of us above 350, if they advertise again in Autumn everyone will have to reapply for sure.

Said 30-50 per squad intake to GV.

I was hopeful until I received that email. Uggghhh

Bottom line of quite a long email:

“we will be progressing 350 applicants in merit order through the PSNI managed stages of the recruitment process in order to continue to make appointments until the end of March 2019“

Classes between 30-50 people. No confirmation of anything after April. No funding secured for any more than that however the Cheif Con is making a business case for 400 more due to Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

Me too! Where are you on merit list?

If they are going to launch a recruitment campaign in Autumn 2018 i think they will defer entry until August 2019 just like 1710. Thus giving room for another 3 squads from 1710 April, May and June.

Guys guys guise....

“With regards to Brexit, as you may be aware from recent press articles, the Chief Constable has requested an additional 400 officers to manage the operational impact of Brexit. A business case is currently being prepared, but to date PSNI has not received the necessary approvals for such appointments.”

No one should be giving up hope... just start deciding which is your preferred border district..

Until a 2018 merit list is in place have hope.

Grey8 wrote: »

Me too! Where are you on merit list?
    700+ Fml lol

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JECornette

I’m 250-300, does that mean I’m guaranteed? Providing I become apponitable of course

• Advertisement

JECornette wrote: »
    I’m 250-300, does that mean I’m guaranteed? Providing I become apponitable of course

I'd be fairly confident son. You've a pca date by now no?

Advertisement