Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jaymeg

I realise I quoted that twice 😂 idiot. But thanks all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tigger19

Friend who joined did not get any of his 3 preference Districts.

It's all about where the boots are needing filled

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

Coming from the south I don't really have a notion where most of these places are. Should be a bit of craic guessing at where would be a fun place to be assigned to.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Adam West wrote: »
    Coming from the south I don't really have a notion where most of these places are. Should be a bit of craic guessing at where would be a fun place to be assigned to.......

I hear Strabane is nice 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Strabanistan wouldn't be so bad. Just depends on distance. And if you don't mind everyone wishing a painful death on you lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Joceyjoe

NiK9 wrote: »
    Strabanistan wouldn't be so bad. Just depends on distance. And if you don't mind everyone wishing a painful death on you lol

What about Derry lol?

Joceyjoe wrote: »
    Strabanistan wouldn't be so bad. Just depends on distance. And if you don't mind everyone wishing a painful death on you lol

What about Derry lol?

If you want yoir face all over facebook Strand road is for you.

What about Derry lol?

If you want yoir face all over facebook Strand road is for you.

No thanks far too close for comfort for me.

Londonderry and craigavon area seem to have the largest number of amateur videographers anywhere in the country lmao.

Londonderry and craigavon area seem to have the largest number of amateur videographers anywhere in the country lmao.

Yep the police are DESPISED in Londonderry

• Advertisement

I say it would be tuff mentally working in them areas. Knowing that every day you're potentially putting your life on the line for the people who walk past you in the street. And alot of them would stand and cheer and if you were injured.

I say it would be tuff mentally working in them areas. Knowing that every day you're potentially putting your life on the line for the people who walk past you in the street. And alot of them would stand and cheer and if you were injured.

Sure Derry had grafiti glorifying Ronan Kerr's murder...

Horrible place to police, but busy and a good learning station.

True, but so busy it's hard to get away from it from what I've been told.

Exactly it would be draining. Probably why it has such a high turnover or so I heard

Oh they do that when anyone dies that’s police or army etc. Tubes.

Oh they do that when anyone dies that’s police or army etc. Tubes.

Aye seen Lee Rigby stuff when i was working up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

ML515 wrote: »
    Yeah. That’s the bottom line. Putting forward a preference is a privilege. You have to be prepared to meet the needs of the public and go where the demand is.

Well, no.

An organization reliant on shifts, covering 24 hours a day 365 days of the year, which are physically and mentally stressful, with overtime demands and rest days getting cancelled... add a four hour commute to that.

The result is no exercise, **** food, a crap social life, extra financial strain... Health disaster, work efficiency destroyed, officer on sick leave until they quit. The tens of thousands spent training them is pissed down the drain.

Or place people in areas with a sane commute. Temporary placement far from home is fine, but anything more than a week or two is just stupid.

Yeah. That’s the bottom line. Putting forward a preference is a privilege. You have to be prepared to meet the needs of the public and go where the demand is.

Well, no.

An organization reliant on shifts, covering 24 hours a day 365 days of the year, which are physically and mentally stressful, with overtime demands and rest days getting cancelled... add a four hour commute to that.

The result is no exercise, **** food, a crap social life, extra financial strain... Health disaster, work efficiency destroyed, officer on sick leave until they quit. The tens of thousands spent training them is pissed down the drain.

Or place people in areas with a sane commute. Temporary placement far from home is fine, but anything more than a week or two is just stupid.

Well in the induction packs we received today, with the district allocations it states...

"Please note having a mortgage, young children or travel time to station is not considered to be compelling".

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Well, no.

I wasn’t really stating an opinion. You’ve to be prepared to work anywhere and they’ll accommodate you as best they can. Preferences are privileges, they aren’t guarantees. Weather you think that’s wise or not, good or bad or the practicality of that is for you to ponder. The thrust of my post was that we’ll be placed in areas where there is a demand identified to better serve the public. Our comforts, where we choose to make home and how far we travel are all secondary considerations and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Well, no.

I wasn’t really stating an opinion. You’ve to be prepared to work anywhere and they’ll accommodate you as best they can. Preferences are privileges, they aren’t guarantees. Weather you think that’s wise or not, good or bad or the practicality of that is for you to ponder. The thrust of my post was that we’ll be placed in areas where there is a demand identified to better serve the public. Our comforts, where we choose to make home and how far we travel are all secondary considerations and rightly so.

Just to further clarify - there is an underlying assumption in your post that being sent ‘anywhere’ equates to a long commute. It’s only a long commute if you choose to continue to live far away. It’s a lifestyle choice. I know people with families etc will find this harder to deal with but the fact of the matter is most of us will work a reasonable distance from where we live. At least if you have the mentality that you can be sent ‘anywhere’, you might be relived to find you’ve been posted to the local **** hole.

• Advertisement

Well, no.

Odd attitude to have considering you chose to accept those terms and conditions when you clicked subnit on your application.

If policing was easy they'd let anyone do not have the longwinded, excellence based selection system they have.

Bearing in mind that you are less likely to get what you want if you are single and childless than a single parent, or anyone with dependents. Yes they did say "Please note having a mortgage, young children or travel time to station is not considered to be compelling"

But they aren't gonna expect you to uproot your family.

But if you're single and/or childless.... tough luck buttercup.

I know plenty of peelers that meal prep (health freak gym bunnies) , still manage to hit the gym a good bit. It's all about how you manage your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Yea true. But there can be a massive diff between distances for some districts. E.g..
    Coleraine & limivady are same district
    Cookstown & dungannon are same
    Ballymena & Carrick are the same.

One station could take you 30mins to drive to. Another in same district could be over 1 hour.

That’s exactly my worry.. not that it will deter me. But from where I am, I can go to a few districts in half and hour but only to “A” station... send me to “B” station and I’m driving for hours. But, there are worse problems to have right this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Get the priorities in order guys. Proximity to Greggs and 24 hr Maccie D's will be top of my list ;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

I remember seeing an article - found it - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incoming/strabane-remains-on-worst-place-to-live-list-28113294.html

It describes how lovely a place strabane is for all those lovely tourists and potential police recruits ;)

Lol its OK, well the asda is OK if that counts.

I remember seeing an article - found it - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incoming/strabane-remains-on-worst-place-to-live-list-28113294.html

It describes how lovely a place strabane is for all those lovely tourists and potential police recruits ;)

Get the priorities in order guys. Proximity to Greggs and 24 hr Maccie D's will be top of my list ;);)

Robo - the voice of reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

I am not saying that officers should be able to choose their station or even district. That would be a privilege which would not be constructive. However, officers should be able to veto a couple of districts that just won't work.

Because of the security situation nobody should be serving near their home area. So everyone has to commute, which is fine. However, to be posted to a district far from home and to have to move closer but still have a commute... bonkers.

I am simply saying that most of the population live in normal commuting for most potential officers. An hour each way is no obstacle.

Do not make the mistake of blindly accepting the status quo. The police have serious human resources issues- do not quietly accede to becoming meat for that grinder. Do your best to set yourself up for success.

I am not saying that officers should be able to choose their station or even district. That would be a privilege which would not be constructive. However, officers should be able to veto a couple of districts that just won't work.

Because of the security situation nobody should be serving near their home area. So everyone has to commute, which is fine. However, to be posted to a district far from home and to have to move closer but still have a commute... bonkers.

I am simply saying that most of the population live in normal commuting for most potential officers. An hour each way is no obstacle.

Do not make the mistake of blindly accepting the status quo. The police have serious human resources issues- do not quietly accede to becoming meat for that grinder. Do your best to set yourself up for success.

The security situation doesn't apply tonsome districts referemce working in it if youbare from there.

I know loads of peelers who work where they live lol

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lmcg1106

Strabanimal region here. Can confirm asda is good and PSNI are much loved

• Advertisement

lmcg1106 wrote: »

Strabanimal region here. Can confirm asda is good and PSNI are much loved

Atleast you's walk upright, Fermanagh folk walking about on all fours

Advertisement