Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

lmcg1106 wrote: »
    Adam West wrote: »
    Coming from the south I don't really have a notion where most of these places are. Should be a bit of craic guessing at where would be a fun place to be assigned to.......

I hear Strabane is nice 😂😂😂

I remember seeing an article - found it - https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/incoming/strabane-remains-on-worst-place-to-live-list-28113294.html

It describes how lovely a place strabane is for all those lovely tourists and potential police recruits ;)

Lol its OK, well the asda is OK if that counts.

Strabanimal region here. Can confirm asda is good and PSNI are much loved

Atleast you's walk upright, Fermanagh folk walking about on all fours

Fermanagh can't help that there was an orwellian overthrowing of the humans by the smarter (and seemingly communist) animal folk. Apparently napoleon himself was the first one to get in an rhi boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cjc123

Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I'm in the 200-250 merit place and have my Health Assesment in a couple of weeks. Wanting to know how strict they are with BMI? Apologises if the question has been asked.

cjc123 wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help. I'm in the 200-250 merit place and have my Health Assesment in a couple of weeks. Wanting to know how strict they are with BMI? Apologises if the question has been asked.

If you have a high bmi due to muscle, no problem. If it's high due to being overweight, they may notice it more. Others have said already that their bmi was high but they were just asked what rugby team they played for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Cazzie23 and waiting88 could perhaps shed more light on the whole district selection thing. Would be interesting to know how far away your SO’s travel. Also, banter mentioned he knows of some peelers serving where they live? Surely the PSNI don’t encourage or even expect this?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Waiting88

Confusedas wrote: »
    Cazzie23 and waiting88 could perhaps shed more light on the whole district selection thing. Would be interesting to know how far away your SO’s travel. Also, banter mentioned he knows of some peelers serving where they live? Surely the PSNI don’t encourage or even expect this?

We live about 20 min drive from his station with no traffic so not bad for us. My neighbour polices where we live and doesn’t seem to be a issue for him as it’s a large district. I guess it just depends where your from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Gee2

Waiting88 wrote: »

We live about 20 min drive from his station with no traffic so not bad for us. My neighbour polices where we live and doesn’t seem to be a issue for him as it’s a large district. I guess it just depends where your from.

Yeah my neighbour works in the district they serve, and I bumped into them during my PCA familiarisation day. Looking at the 11 districts available, there’s 7 which I would be happy (commute wise) to be based in. And I would know people in each area. I think it’s inevitable that you will likely know/bump into people you know wherever you serve. NI is a small place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cazzie23

My husband is 35 mins away (on a late shift) from home however it will take him an hour plus to get home in rush hour and I am stationed 25 mins away. Unfortunately as others have said you have to take what you are given this includes civilian posts. The application makes it clear and that is what you have accepted as part of the job description

I had the same question a while ago. My BMI is in around the 29ish mark. Then again I have played a good bit of rugby in my time. Thighs like tree stumps!

Others here will say “nope it says 30 to be appointed hurdurhurdur”.

Though looking through previous posts from other who are over the 30 mark, it’s more down to the nurse/doctors point of view. You could be a well toned/built man/woman and have a bmi of 31 or you could be a small and rather chubby person with a bmi teetering near the 30s. Who’s the fitter person there..

I imagine like most other health professionals, the PSNIs medical team have caught on that BMI is a pretty useless measurement in the grand scheme of things.

But I haven’t had my medical yet and I’m not currently in the PSNI so all I just said could be complete balderdash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheBigLight

I had the same question a while ago. My BMI is in around the 29ish mark. Then again I have played a good bit of rugby in my time. Thighs like tree stumps!

Though looking through previous posts from other who are over the 30 mark, it’s more down to the nurse/doctors point of view. You could be a well toned/built man/woman and have a bmi of 31 or you could be a small and rather chubby person with a bmi teetering near the 30s. Who’s the fitter person there..

I imagine like most other health professionals, the PSNIs medical team have caught on that BMI is a pretty useless measurement in the grand scheme of things.

But I haven’t had my medical yet and I’m not currently in the PSNI so all I just said could be complete balderdash :D

It's less of an issue as you will have already passed the PCA before the medical. But they will asses the person in front of them rather than only going by a BMI score

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cjc123

Thanks so much !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Thanks so much !

My BMI is 32 and I didn't have a problem at all going through medical.
    Only thing they checked twice on me was blood pressure. (I had just finished a 14hour nightshift right before my medical). Nurse spoke to the Dr and Dr signed it off without even seeing me. So all good.

Hoping someone here who has had their vetting come back ok can chime in.

Long story short, I only discovered last week (after paying for Experian) that I had a CCJ against me. Funny thing is though, it wasn't mine. I share my father's name and it was his from 5 years ago (was paid as well, the solicitors cocked up).

I've had it lifted from my account and my credit score is well in the green now (900+) as it should have been. Only thing is, is that vetting checked my score when it was in the ****, around the 630ish mark. I did call 101 and spoke to HR about this last week, but as I understand it, the vetting is external.

My question is, those of you who have passed vetting, were your scores in around the 630ish mark or lower? I'm worried that vetting may deem that too low, even though it's incorrect.

Just don't want to possibly fail vetting on this small issue and possibly set my self back with an appeal or something like that.

I'm actually raging too, this has been on my name for 3 years and I had no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

It's not your score they care about, it's whether you have any adverse credit history which could lead you down the wrong path. Plenty of 18 year olds apply who will have next to no score.

Quite simply, if it fails, appeal. You have the proof to appeal it so it shouldn't be an issue

Long story short, I only discovered last week (after paying for Experian) that I had a CCJ against me. Funny thing is though, it wasn't mine. I share my father's name and it was his from 5 years ago (was paid as well, the solicitors cocked up).

I've had it lifted from my account and my credit score is well in the green now (900+) as it should have been. Only thing is, is that vetting checked my score when it was in the ****, around the 630ish mark. I did call 101 and spoke to HR about this last week, but as I understand it, the vetting is external.

My question is, those of you who have passed vetting, were your scores in around the 630ish mark or lower? I'm worried that vetting may deem that too low, even though it's incorrect.

Just don't want to possibly fail vetting on this small issue and possibly set my self back with an appeal or something like that.

I'm actually raging too, this has been on my name for 3 years and I had no idea.

You've raised it with vetting and you've it corrected on your credit file.

You're assuming they use experian to credit check you. There are two other main credit checkers, equifax and.... The other one alludes me. You need to make sure its removed from their files as well.

majgreen wrote: »
    It's not your score they care about, it's whether you have any adverse credit history which could lead you down the wrong path. Plenty of 18 year olds apply who will have next to no score.

Quite simply, if it fails, appeal. You have the proof to appeal it so it shouldn't be an issue

No I'm not necessarily saying my score would be the issue. But a county court judgement that looks as though it hasn't been paid in 3 years surely would look bad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Lockie101

Hey everyone, haven’t been on this thread in ages (I have been more on the PSNI Staff thread) and I am not sure if this has been brought up here yet but the Join PSNI website has been updated at some stage to say they expect the next recruitment to be in Autumn 2018, same as last year so hopefully they are back to annual intake now.

Just some info for anyone in the same boat as me, waiting for the next campaign like a child waiting for Christmas XD

You're assuming they use Experian to credit check you. There are two other main credit checkers, Equifax and... The other one alludes me. You need to make sure its removed from their files as well.

Already on that pal! Equifax is another issue in itself. No CCJ there but they were under the impression I had been living at my grandparent's address from the early 70's. I wasn't even born then!

Surely a father and son with the same name should be a common enough occurrence for these hallions to be able to differentiate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

It's the security service that process vetting. And credit score is only a smidge of what they are looking for. A ladbrokes account with a grand going into it every month a only 200 coming out would disqual you sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ChillFactor

Anyone know if you get an email when your vetting has been completed?

You're assuming they use Experian to credit check you. There are two other main credit checkers, Equifax and... The other one alludes me. You need to make sure its removed from their files as well.

Already on that pal! Equifax is another issue in itself. No CCJ there but they were under the impression I had been living at my grandparent's address from the early 70's. I wasn't even born then!

Surely a father and son with the same name should be a common enough occurrence for these hallions to be able to differentiate.

A lot is automated I think so it easily happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ktrsd

Anyone know if you get an email when your vetting has been completed?
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jaymeg

You will be fine! A friend had this issue too and if it is flagged up you have the chance to appeal and once you state that you will then be cleared.

Hi folks,
    Just a quick question, I have my medical coming up and was hoping that someone who has already experienced the medical can settle a few of my worries. It sounds silly but I am dreading the fact of standing in your underwear while being moved about the place.
    Are you told to stand in your underwear? One person said this wasn't the case and they just ask for loose clothing for blood pressure but someone who did it last year said you are standing in a bra and then you're stretched about the place with legs and all.

This may sound so silly but I don't feel confident in the half buff at all...no judgement please as I'm just a typical gal and after a few episodes of watching love island I am now even worse haha! :)

Thanks in advance.

Jaymeg wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just a quick question, I have my medical coming up and was hoping that someone who has already experienced the medical can settle a few of my worries. It sounds silly but I am dreading the fact of standing in your underwear while being moved about the place.
    Are you told to stand in your underwear? One person said this wasn't the case and they just ask for loose clothing for blood pressure but someone who did it last year said you are standing in a bra and then you're stretched about the place with legs and all.

This may sound so silly but I don't feel confident in the half buff at all...no judgement please as I'm just a typical gal and after a few episodes of watching love island I am now even worse haha! :)

Thanks in advance.

#teamalex

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

#teamalex

Making a mental note to do a few sit ups and press ups before going into the medical lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

No you just have to raise sleeve for blood pressure.

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

#teamalex
    If only Alex was taking the medical lol! #TEAMJACK

If only Alex was taking the medical lol! #TEAMJACK

Haha. He'd have some craic with small talk with the nurses. 'I LOVE CARS'

NiK9 wrote: »
    No you just have to raise sleeve for blood pressure.
    Is this the same for both male and female medicals? Thanks for the reply, this has settled me if this is the case. Just from last year's medical and from the email it had stated about underwear requirements etc.

• Advertisement

Also heads up people who are waiting for their medical or have their date already. They are bringing dates forward to speed up the process. If you get a no caller ID number try and answer it :)

Advertisement