Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Jaymeg wrote: »
    Also heads up people who are waiting for their medical or have their date already. They are bringing dates forward to speed up the process. If you get a no caller ID number try and answer it :)

Good to know! Mine is far enough away. Whats your merit list range if you dont mind my asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Faugha

Hi folks,
    Just a quick question, I have my medical coming up and was hoping that someone who has already experienced the medical can settle a few of my worries. It sounds silly but I am dreading the fact of standing in your underwear while being moved about the place.
    Are you told to stand in your underwear? One person said this wasn't the case and they just ask for loose clothing for blood pressure but someone who did it last year said you are standing in a bra and then you're stretched about the place with legs and all.

This may sound so silly but I don't feel confident in the half buff at all...no judgement please as I'm just a typical gal and after a few episodes of watching love island I am now even worse haha! :)

Thanks in advance.

Not the case at all. I wore jeans and a t shirt and no issues. You won’t be half naked and won’t be made to feel uncomfortable at all so relax and look forward to ticking another box in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jaymeg

Confusedas wrote: »
    Also heads up people who are waiting for their medical or have their date already. They are bringing dates forward to speed up the process. If you get a no caller ID number try and answer it :)

Good to know! Mine is far enough away. Whats your merit list range if you dont mind my asking?
    I'm between 150-190. Mine was for the end of July so I wouldn't be surprised if yours was later than this that it'll be moved to then.

I'm between 150-190. Mine was for the end of July so I wouldn't be surprised if yours was later than this that it'll be moved to then.

I'm in the 150-200 range also.

Mine is currently in around late July. Hopefully get the ball rolling shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Wanabepeeler1

Gutted!! Was in the middle of a job there and phone was ringing with a private number. Said to myself its probably only the health center. Lol

• Advertisement

Faugha wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Just a quick question, I have my medical coming up and was hoping that someone who has already experienced the medical can settle a few of my worries. It sounds silly but I am dreading the fact of standing in your underwear while being moved about the place.
    Are you told to stand in your underwear? One person said this wasn't the case and they just ask for loose clothing for blood pressure but someone who did it last year said you are standing in a bra and then you're stretched about the place with legs and all.

This may sound so silly but I don't feel confident in the half buff at all...no judgement please as I'm just a typical gal and after a few episodes of watching love island I am now even worse haha! :)

Thanks in advance.

Not the case at all. I wore jeans and a t shirt and no issues. You won’t be half naked and won’t be made to feel uncomfortable at all so relax and look forward to ticking another box in the process.
    Oh my days I feel so much better. Thank you for clarifying this. I just had images of me standing in a bra and briefs feeling like a heifer.

Confusedas wrote: »

I'm in the 150-200 range also.

Mine is currently in around late July. Hopefully get the ball rolling shortly!
    Stay by your phone, I'd say you'll be the same. I'll ask the person who rings me later if it'll be moving closer for the rest. They are still making calls.

Gutted!! Was in the middle of a job there and phone was ringing with a private number. Said to myself its probably only the health center. Lol
    Oh noooooo! Don't fret it, they are still doing the rounds and I would say they will try again soon. Unless you try get in contact with them and say you had a missed call and wanted to double check it wasn't in relation to this?

Oh noooooo! Don't fret it, they are still doing the rounds and I would say they will try again soon. Unless you try get in contact with them and say you had a missed call and wanted to double check it wasn't in relation to this?

Will maybe give them a ring at lunch.. currently working beside my boss and cant have him hearing whats going on lol fingers crossed

Will maybe give them a ring at lunch.. currently working beside my boss and cant have him hearing whats going on lol fingers crossed
    Boss problems! Let me know how you get on champ if you do. Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭eslow

Have a question if anyone can help.. I am in the 450/500 bracket. So from the email we all got the other day I’m not expecting to get a call before march...but my mother is planning her wedding abroad next year and I’m worried about booking anything! Obviously it’s a big deal and I don’t want to miss it.. so say you got the call and would be away then will they just transfer you till the next class that’s starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ldngal18

Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

Jaymeg, as my name suggests I am a female and can confirm that you don't need to strip off in your medical!
    I rolled up a sleeve for blood pressure and took my shoes off for my height and weight. That was it. :)

Stay by your phone, I'd say you'll be the same. I'll ask the person who rings me later if it'll be moving closer for the rest. They are still making calls.

Here's hoping

ldngal18 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Thanks in advance.

Jaymeg, as my name suggests  I am a female and can confirm  that you don't need to strip off in your medical!
    I rolled up a sleeve for blood pressure and took my shoes off for my height and weight.  That was it. :)
    Oh my! This is news that would make me want to strip down naked hahaha! Thank you so much. I don't know why I'm so self conscious but that was my main worry. They must have changed it from previous years as a friend of mine who is in had to do this. YAYYYY :) Appreciate the reply.

Rang them there.. they offered me the earlier date but my gp hasn't signed my form yet but it will defo be signed before my origional date.. so think im going to stick with origional date.. just hoping this isn't going to slow me down or hold me back in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

Look at it this way- in the unlikely event that you do have to strip down, you are a young person that is fit enough to pass the PCA. So you are above average for others of your age group as far as exercise goes (the PCA isn't all that tough but the general population are in very poor shape). You are in the top 25% of the population as far as aesthetics go just based on these facts.

Doctors and nurses spend most of their time looking after the elderly, the chronically ill, etc. Much less pleasant to look at than fairly fit 20 and 30 somethings, right? And it is a lot of time, really skewing these numbers.

And they are regularly... "exploring" these bodies.

And all they have to do is look at you.

So looking at you is probably in the top couple percent of "viewing of other humans" as part of their professional careers.

So there you go. Stripping off would be like a ray of sunshine to these medical folks.

OR... this is their job and they don't give a damn about your appearance, they have already forgotten your name and will forget your entire existence within 5 minutes of you walking out the door. So chill :)

Rang them there.. they offered me the earlier date but my gp hasn't signed my form yet but it will defo be signed before my origional date.. so think im going to stick with origional date.. just hoping this isn't going to slow me down or hold me back in any way.

I asked the girl when she rang if it changes the process timing and she said it doesn’t. It’s to help them I think because they are under so much pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

I asked the girl when she rang if it changes the process timing and she said it doesn’t. It’s to help them I think because they are under so much pressure.

It should help as you'll get your smt results much quicker.

Look at it this way- in the unlikely event that you do have to strip down, you are a young person that is fit enough to pass the PCA. So you are above average for others of your age group as far as exercise goes (the PCA isn't all that tough but the general population are in very poor shape). You are in the top 25% of the population as far as aesthetics go just based on these facts.

Doctors and nurses spend most of their time looking after the elderly, the chronically ill, etc. Much less pleasant to look at than fairly fit 20 and 30 somethings, right? And it is a lot of time, really skewing these numbers.

And they are regularly... "exploring" these bodies.

And all they have to do is look at you.

So looking at you is probably in the top couple percent of "viewing of other humans" as part of their professional careers.

So there you go. Stripping off would be like a ray of sunshine to these medical folks.

OR... this is their job and they don't give a damn about your appearance, they have already forgotten your name and will forget your entire existence within 5 minutes of you walking out the door. So chill :)

Very true when you put it that way 😂 it’s more for myself because I’d give myself a hard time lol I’ll just have to adopt the who gives a f attitude lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5 United4321

eslow wrote: »
    Have a question if anyone can help.. I am in the 450/500 bracket. So from the email we all got the other day I’m not expecting to get a call before march...but my mother is planning her wedding abroad next year and I’m worried about booking anything! Obviously it’s a big deal and I don’t want to miss it.. so say you got the call and would be away then will they just transfer you till the next class that’s starting?

I’m the same bracket but didn’t get that email, slightly worried about lack of contact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

It's probs to juat get their monies worth. GP may be getting paid by the day rather than per person soooo. More people they cram in the less the Dr costs

United4321 wrote: »

I’m the same bracket but didn’t get that email, slightly worried about lack of contact.
    Which email?

Thats the exact same answer i got lol

Don't be worrying folks if you haven't got a call about dates being moved forward. I know someone who works in that area (not occupational) and they said they are just calling people to see if they can do earlier. It won't change your position it's so they can get through the numbers quicker. The date I was given as an option for sooner was a new date with no candidates being processed and I was under no obligation to take it. It was information only as the time stands as they needed to see if they could even get enough numbers for people to move forward to this date.

I hope this clears it up, it's not to do with people being processed quicker it's to help with their end of things.

I just thought I would inform people on they off chance they ignore a no caller ID and want their date to be over with sooner rather than later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

It could be very helpful to have dates moved forward. The calls last week seem to have reached 100 for the 50 person class. This seems unusual. It may have messed with their system. If calls are to go out in late July/early August and the results are the same they could reach merit number 200 before they fill the class. So they may need up to number 200 to be potentially appointable by then, which would require earlier medicals for quite a few candidates and faster SMT results.

If person 150 keeps their current appointment for medical they could be appointable mid-August. If the dates being offered were sufficiently early and number 190 took the earlier date, they could be appointable in time for July or early August calls and effectively leapfrog earlier merit numbers. Such a possibility was outlined in the email which detailed our merit numbers.

It could be very helpful to have dates moved forward. The calls last week seem to have reached 100 for the 50 person class. This seems unusual. It may have messed with their system. If calls are to go out in late July/early August and the results are the same they could reach merit number 200 before they fill the class. So they may need up to number 200 to be potentially appointable by then, which would require earlier medicals for quite a few candidates and faster SMT results.

If person 150 keeps their current appointment for medical they could be appointable mid-August. If the dates being offered were sufficiently early and number 190 took the earlier date, they could be appointable in time for July or early August calls and effectively leapfrog earlier merit numbers. Such a possibility was outlined in the email which detailed our merit numbers.

You mention leapfrogging others that dont avail of the earlier date. This is not going to happen. When i spoke to the lady at OH i asked would this be the case and she said absolutely no.

Unsure as to if this is the case. Just off the phone again to the person dealing with it and she said it's only a select number of individuals that were on the same date so that it would not impact date of being appointed. It was directly said to me that refusing the earlier date would not impact this so hope this clears things up. As they already provided medical dates they are only allowed to offer up to a certain number on the merit list which is why she said to me beforehand we need to see if the other individuals are able to change otherwise no one would get the earlier date.

They said there is only a certain slot for each merit list range and they require a certain number per intake so people that enter a higher intake range will not be offered an earlier date.

I was worrying about this too which is why I asked it as I couldn't take the earlier date. It was to help with their processing.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

The merit list numbers reached are probs due to people unable to take an August start.

• Advertisement

You mention leapfrogging others that dont avail of the earlier date. This is not going to happen. When i spoke to the lady at OH i asked would this be the case and she said absolutely no.
    Told exactly the same. She said they had a process to follow and this wouldn't be possible for people to leapfrog. It was apparently to help them which is why they didn't confirm dates changing until the select people on the near same date agreed.

Advertisement