Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Your credit report will only change once a month.

True if you're using the free version mate. If you can afford the £14.99 guys then get the months access to Experian. It updates every day. I've a reminder set to cancel it after this month ends :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Confusedas wrote: »

True if you're using the free version mate. If you can afford the £14.99 guys then get the months access to Experian. It updates every day. I've a reminder set to cancel it after this month ends :D

Do thry still make you cancel by phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 H8thewait

I think they do unfortunatly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Just done that

Most f*****g likely.

• Advertisement

Most f*****g likely.

Ughhhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Hopefulsam

H8thewait wrote: »
    Thanks folks its been a grind lol thats what i keep telling myself just under 4 minutes for the potential for great things.. Does anyone know if when being called in alphabetically the first person gets a few mins to stretch?
    Hi, well done on the weight loss, just blast the PCA and you will be fine. You do get time to warm up before doing it if you are lucky enough to be first in the queue. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Gee2

Morning. Congrats to all those who have passed their PCA recently.

Mines this week - do they provide your time at the end on the letter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Most f*****g likely.

Ughhhh.

You can now do it on the site. I have been on the site for the last 5 years slowly rebuilding my score and it used to be you had to ring but then I cancelled recently through the site. And then I go back on a month later because not knowing kills me if there is changes

Also my view on PCA. Hopefully to help settle the nerves of others.

I breathed heavy from the start and it helped, thanks to those who give that advice on boards. I went round the whole thing at a brisk jog. The slowest I was at was the wall on the 2nd lap. Like people said around this stage you want to give up. But u gain some oxygen slowing down. Then went at a quick jog again. I didnt repeat anything and I did most of the obstacles as quick as I could. I never walked once. Dont walk ever!! Push yourself to keep that jog going.
    Finally, I sprinted the last 20m as it was the home straight and I got 3 mins 32 sec overall. So that's abit insight for anyone still to go.

I chose to jog as I am overweight and knew I needed to pace myself for the whole course.

I don't recommend it, if I could have sprinted the whole thing I would have so still apply the maximum effort if you can.

finally hope this helps and good luck with the future PCAs

• Advertisement

Nap702 wrote: »

I breathed heavy from the start and it helped, thanks to those who give that advice on boards. I went round the whole thing at a brisk jog. The slowest I was at was the wall on the 2nd lap. Like people said around this stage you want to give up. But u gain some oxygen slowing down. Then went at a quick jog again. I didnt repeat anything and I did most of the obstacles as quick as I could. I never walked once. Dont walk ever!! Push yourself to keep that jog going.
    Finally, I sprinted the last 20m as it was the home straight and I got 3 mins 32 sec overall. So that's abit insight for anyone still to go.

I chose to jog as I am overweight and knew I needed to pace myself for the whole course.

I don't recommend it, if I could have sprinted the whole thing I would have so still apply the maximum effort if you can.

Thanks for your feedback Nap - I take it they give you your time then. I’m rubbish at long distance runs but ok a short burst/sprints so hopefully that will see me through. I think the key is not to make too many faults.

Gee2 wrote: »

Thanks for your feedback Nap - I take it they give you your time then. I’m rubbish at long distance runs but ok a short burst/sprints so hopefully that will see me through. I think the key is not to make too many faults.

You get your time in an envelope after everyone has gone. If your envelope has a spine you've passed as its your medical form inside.

Also my view on PCA. Hopefully to help settle the nerves of others.I breathed heavy from the start and it helped, thanks to those who give that advice on boards. I went round the whole thing at a brisk jog. The slowest I was at was the wall on the 2nd lap. Like people said around this stage you want to give up. But u gain some oxygen slowing down. Then went at a quick jog again. I didnt repeat anything and I did most of the obstacles as quick as I could. I never walked once. Dont walk ever!! Push yourself to keep that jog going. Finally, I sprinted the last 20m as it was the home straight and I got 3 mins 32 sec overall. So that's abit insight for anyone still to go.I chose to jog as I am overweight and knew I needed to pace myself for the whole course.I don't recommend it, if I could have sprinted the whole thing I would have so still apply the maximum effort if you can.finally hope this helps and good luck with the future PCAs
    Thanks for your feedback Nap - I take it they give you your time then. I’m rubbish at long distance runs over a few miles but ok a short burst/sprints so hopefully that will see me through. I think the key is not to make too many faults.

You get your time in an envelope after everyone has gone. If your envelope has a spine you've passed as its your medical form inside.

Cheers. Here’s hoping for a spine.

Yes they do.

I am shocking too at long distance jogs. I was doing sprints on treadmill 30 secs on secs off before PCA. I was surprised how quick i recovered after the push and pull so my training worked ok for that but if I had to re do it I wouldn't do it that way. I would built a jog up . . . to a fast jog then up to a sprint . . . For 4 minutes each time. If you work hard for four mins and the PCA is ok providing you have strength. I managed the drag bag fine but I know for others it be nightmare if you dont have much strength about you.

Look what do I know?? We all different. My advice my be useless to someone else with a different make up. All i am saying is that its mind over matter. Just get there smash the three laps and you everyone will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

There you go, Nap702 had plenty of time to spare at a brisk jog, I had no shortage of time after messing up the same obstacle twice on the second lap. I could even have screwed it up twice more and still had a few seconds to spare.

Crawl the first obstacle as fast as you can, the jump is no issue, getting up the stairs is easy, but really bend on the way down if you want to avoid my mistake, take your time on the balance beam (it is not meant to be done quickly with the cone and black lines), the wall is really just a short ladder- if you are tall enough to grip the top standing on the ground you are golden, if not get some toes on that generous lower ledge and blast off. No worries. The mats are great for the drop off, I didn't notice the fall at all. One or two steps from top and wall and down you go, no dilly-dallying.

Cones are a bit of a bastard if you are heavy like me, rapid acceleration and deceleration, but it only lasts a few seconds and then the kettlebells are fairly light (8 kilos) and the drag isn't too bad either (39kilos). Then the wee sprint- pro tip, watch out for the wall on your right.

Now, the push-pull, that thing was invented by the devil. I didn't get the technique right at all, and I can't see how anybody could when they have never used it before and are gasping for air.

Yes they do.

I am shocking too at long distance jogs. I was doing sprints on treadmill 30 secs on secs off before PCA. I was surprised how quick i recovered after the push and pull so my training worked ok for that but if I had to re do it I wouldn't do it that way. I would built a jog up . . . to a fast jog then up to a sprint . . . For 4 minutes each time. If you work hard for four mins and the PCA is ok providing you have strength. I managed the drag bag fine but I know for others it be nightmare if you dont have much strength about you.

Look what do I know?? We all different. My advice my be useless to someone else with a different make up. All i am saying is that its mind over matter. Just get there smash the three laps and you everyone will be fine.
    I’m by no means the strongest person in the world, but thought the drag bag was okay in the familiarisation days. Just going to blast it for the 3 odd minutes and hope for the best.

There you go, Nap702 had plenty of time to spare at a brisk jog, I had no shortage of time after messing up the same obstacle twice on the second lap. I could even have screwed it up twice more and still had a few seconds to spare.

Crawl the first obstacle as fast as you can, the jump is no issue, getting up the stairs is easy, but really bend on the way down if you want to avoid my mistake, take your time on the balance beam (it is not meant to be done quickly with the cone and black lines), the wall is really just a short ladder- if you are tall enough to grip the top standing on the ground you are golden, if not get some toes on that generous lower ledge and blast off. No worries. The mats are great for the drop off, I didn't notice the fall at all. One or two steps from top and wall and down you go, no dilly-dallying.

Cones are a bit of a bastard if you are heavy like me, rapid acceleration and deceleration, but it only lasts a few seconds and then the kettlebells are fairly light (8 kilos) and the drag isn't too bad either (39kilos). Then the wee sprint- pro tip, watch out for the wall on your right.

Now, the push-pull, that thing was invented by the devil. I didn't get the technique right at all, and I can't see how anybody could when they have never used it before and are gasping for air.

Thats just it. What he said. Just dont walk once dont hit any obstacles. Keep at a jog and you will pass. :-)

I’m by no means the strongest person in the world, but thought the drag bag was okay in the familiarisation days. Just going to blast it for the 3 odd minutes and hope for the best.

No, its definitely not heavy. You'll feel it on the 3rd lap though ;)

That said, you'll be grand

No, its definitely not heavy. You'll feel it on the 3rd lap though ;)

That said, you'll be grand

Will probably be feeling everything by the 3 lap. ðŸ˜

I am in limbo now lol dont know what's next. Hopefully get an email soon will the next stage will be next. Vetting? Online learning? Medical?

• Advertisement

I am in limbo now lol dont know what's next. Hopefully get an email soon will the next stage will be next. Vetting? Online learning? Medical?
    You'll get your medical date and online learning pretty quickly.

You'll get your medical date and online learning pretty quickly.

Cheers. Sitting here thinking how close to the waiting room I am now. Unbelievable. Never thought I could get this far. Am sure others are thinking the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

I got my medical date about an hour after I got home from the PCA

Since they are moving so quickly maybe they will give everyone a call in August lol.

Gice you your reserve place for x squad and your confirmed place y squad.

Adam West wrote: »

That's only coz with the name Adam West they don't want to **** with ya just in case the rumours are true.

Adam West wrote: »

Yea you guys in the morning seem to get sorted straight away. Dont know anyone that was in the afternoon with a medical yet. I been to doctors anllreadya and all my forms are signed and ready to go

Yea you guys in the morning seem to get sorted straight away. Dont know anyone that was in the afternoon with a medical yet. I been to doctors anllreadya and all my forms are signed and ready to go

Now you're just bragging.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

I was straight into the GP's office the next day too. Which may actually be a problem- they want the GP's input to clearly post-date our self-report, but they both show the same date. Whoops. The GP's answers are clearly reliant on my own though, so hopefully that satisfies them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DarylD96

Anyone who still hasn't got a date for their medical?

Seen others saying they received a medical date via email about an hour after they finished their PCA. Sitting here the day after and still no word.

Little bit anxious waiting as the medical is the area I'm most concerned about due to a run in with my mental health I had last year.

• Advertisement

DarylD96 wrote: »
    Anyone from yesterday's afternoon PCA (3rd July, 1pm), who still hasn't got a date for their medical?

Seen others saying they received a medical date via email about an hour after they finished their PCA. Sitting here the day after and still no word.

Little bit anxious waiting as the medical is the area I'm most concerned about due to a run in with my mental health I had last year.

Best to edit this and remove any and all reference to dates and times.

Advertisement