Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

This country is gonna explode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

It has this year, madness

Nap702 wrote: »

It has this year, madness

It's not even started yet.

Properly i mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Properly i mean.
    Thays what I was thinking still early days

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

It's been a crazy few days, lots of long hours and lots of sweat soaking into that public order suit. Enjoy it while you can, although right now you think you cant wait to be in the thick of it next year, reality is that it can be a scary place to be

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Yellow321

475-500 position on merit list.....no email....patiently waiting....

Hopefully everyone is too hungover to do anything stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mike079

Yellow321 wrote: »
    475-500 position on merit list.....no email....patiently waiting....
    Slightly above 500. Waiting anxiously but optimistic. Should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Totally unrelated to this thread but curious none the less, I’ve seen photos up over the days of officers in Derry with Garda lanyards on and similar reports of GB officers in Belfast. How does that work? Do the PSNI contract officers in this time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Confusedas wrote: »
    Totally unrelated to this thread but curious none the less, I’ve seen photos up over the days of officers in Derry with Garda lanyards on and similar reports of GB officers in Belfast. How does that work? Do the PSNI contract officers in this time of year?

It's like the old French exchange in school days only the police equivalent but they don't stay in your mum's house while they're working here.

It's like the old French exchange in school days only the police equivalent but they don't stay in your mum's house while they're working here.

That’s reminded me of The Inbetweeners episode where your man is staying with Simon. Might be time to re-watch that series to pass the time until this medical. That said, it’s odd to think that GB and Southern Officers are having to top ours up.

There's mutual aid officers over from GB around this time of year.

The lanyard is just that a lanyard.

Probs did a secondment to AGS and got some freebies out of it.

AGS aren't allowed to carry firearms in NI i'm pretty sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

I believe this has happened for years if memory serves me right, officers come in from England but unlike the PSNI they aren’t armed etc as they don’t carry fire arms as part of their jobs. When MB was Chief Con there was loads of news around it due to the trouble this time of year, always thought it was mad that as a small country we needed police in from other areas, has to cost a fortune that could be better spent on recruitment lol!

Grey8 wrote: »
    I believe this has happened for years if memory serves me right, officers come in from England but unlike the PSNI they aren’t armed etc as they don’t carry fire arms as part of their jobs. When MB was Chief Con there was loads of news around it due to the trouble this time of year, always thought it was mad that as a small country we needed police in from other areas, has to cost a fortune that could be better spent on recruitment lol!

Amen to that.

Thought that. However AGS do have an armed unit. Perhaps their arms trained units are able to work here

Thought that. However AGS do have an armed unit. Perhaps their arms trained units are able to work here

Imagine the political ****storm if armed AGS killed somone here...

It's Loyalist lies and blatant stupidity to suggest "look mate he's got a garda lanyard he's a guard" like saying "he's gor a liverpool lanyard he plays for liverpool"

Imagine the political ****storm if armed AGS killed somone here...

It's Loyalist lies and blatant stupidity to suggest "look mate he's got a garda lanyard he's a guard" like saying "he's gor a liverpool lanyard he plays for liverpool"

YOU SCOUSE BAST*D :D

YNWA!

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Carlas1000

Apologies if this has already been answered, but is the 'danger money' allowance paid throughout the 6 months training, or does it begin once we have finished?

• Advertisement

Carlas1000 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been answered, but is the 'danger money' allowance paid throughout the 6 months training, or does it begin once we have finished?

Paid from day one

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

It would be useful if it was initially a lump sum to be spent taking measures at home i.e. more resilient doors, activating disused garages, decent and covert cameras, etc. A drip feed of a couple hundred each month is fine a few years in, but insufficient at the most important time i.e the start!

It would be useful if it was initially a lump sum to be spent taking measures at home i.e. more resilient doors, activating disused garages, decent and covert cameras, etc. A drip feed of a couple hundred each month is fine a few years in, but insufficient at the most important time i.e the start!

Why would you need all that?

I'm a peelers pup and we had none of that growing up....

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭NemesisEejit

A door that can't easily be kicked in and a working garage would be pretty ****ing useful and the bare minimum. Perhaps you grew up in an area with a fairly low threat? You have mentioned the memorial to fallen officers before, perhaps you should look into how they (and other victims of assassination) were killed?

Useful blinds, motion detectors, a gun safe, maybe a car with a bit of power for evading threats. A guard dog. I do not intend to be killed easily if I become a cop.

A door that can't easily be kicked in and a working garage would be pretty ****ing useful and the bare minimum. Perhaps you grew up in an area with a fairly low threat? You have mentioned the memorial to fallen officers before, perhaps you should look into how they (and other victims of assassination) were killed?

Useful blinds, motion detectors, a gun safe, maybe a car with a bit of power for evading threats. A guard dog. I do not intend to be killed easily if I become a cop.

We had a securoty door but that's it. My parents were super big into personal security. When we started droving we checked our cars, i still do for other reasons.

You don't need to spend a fortune to be safe.

Just follow thw security methods instructed to you.

Vary routes, don't set routine, check car, don't leave doors unlocked, don't talk shop in the chippy or pub.

"Low threat" areas are bollocks.

If they want to tey and get you they won't care where you live.

Plus the traditional "safe areas" would be a target rich environment for a DR.

But if it makes you feel safer O second the dog.

German Shepherd or Doberman best all round family pet and protector in my view .

• Site Banned Posts: 1 An Howerya pal

Just curious what types of Glocks ye use?

Just curious what types of Glocks ye use?

Not get the message last time? Bye

• Site Banned Posts: 6 Bhbhbhnh

But do they use Glock 17, 19 or do they use .40 S&W like Glock 22 or 23?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I seen the photo of the PSNI officer with the Garda lanyard, my first thought was that it was ex AGS now PSNI. GB officers would only be used for public order duties, I havent seen photos of them though. (They are easy to spot if you are a bit of a uniform freak like me)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Ultimately its up to you what measures you take, but doing all of the above is just going to make you stand out more. Dr's don't break into the homes of peelers to attack them. They plant devices under cars and that's about it. Everything else is too risky for them. Any other form of attack is more likely to happen on duty, ie being shot.

If you're going to get a fast car, don't make it stand out. People watch vehicles entering and exiting stations. The more non-descript you are, the better.

Advertisement