Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Gee-22 wrote: »
    Rossco22 wrote: »
    For those asking about time frames without being too specific, I'm up this month - a frighteningly quick turnaround! Also FYI my brother has passed and doesn't go for his AC until March, to dispel the alphabetical theory. Good luck folks
    Got the good news email myself.
    I'm guessing AC dates will be connected to when you completed IST.  Maybe sooner you completed it, the earlier you get a AC date.

Congrats mate!
    Unfortunately, I think not - I completed mine an hour before the 2nd deadline, I would assume I would be among the very last few to have completed it, whereas my brother completed his the night before. I did score fairly well which may influence how soon I go? Who knows! It could just go by UID number!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Gee-22

For those asking about time frames without being too specific, I'm up this month - a frighteningly quick turnaround! Also FYI my brother has passed and doesn't go for his AC until March, to dispel the alphabetical theory. Good luck folks
    I'm guessing AC dates will be connected to when you completed IST.  Maybe sooner you completed it, the earlier you get a AC date.

Congrats mate!
    Unfortunately, I think not - I completed mine an hour before the 2nd deadline, I would assume I would be among the very last few to have completed it, whereas my brother completed his the night before. I did score fairly well which may influence how soon I go? Who knows! It could just go by UID number!
    Fair enough - maybe UID number then.  Main thing is, having a date.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Congrats mate!
    Fair enough - maybe UID number then.  Main thing is, having a date.;)

Exactly mate, fingers crossed for this one too, hopefully get meeting a few of you at AC!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Instant Sunshine

Irish times article Titled : "PSNI recruitment shows difficulty of achieving uniform change in North" gives some facts and figures that we have all been looking for (Cant post the link as I'm a new user apparently):

Total Applicants: Around 7700

Female applicants: Around 40%

Catholic Applicants: Around 31%

No mention of LGBTQ applicants yet, I don't think.

Article also mentions Sinn Fienn and SDLP are calling for a return to 50:50 recruitment. My only opinion on this is that they should get their own house in order and maybe consider taking on ALL of the values and standards of the PSNI. That goes for unionist parties too. Maybe then they could potentially influence the situation.

I can only hope and pray that 50:50 doesn't return, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Bit hypocritical of Sinn Fein as it was them from 1968-1998 that spread hate for the police to their constituents.

• Advertisement

All indications point to a rapid process.

Come on annual recruitment

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

With respect guys, I've an alternative perspective. Policing during the troubles was another kettle of fish in completely different circumstances. I couldn't imagine myself having applied to the RUC in those circumstances. It just wouldn't have been an option.

They didn't have the Patten reforms for the craic. They didn't implement 50:50 willy-nilly. There where legitimate reasons for it. Let's have a police service that is reflective of all parts of our society. If Catholic numbers continue to drop, it will only undermine the legitimacy of the PSNI in those communities. We continue to live in a deeply divided society. We don't have a functioning government because of divisions. I wouldn't ever want to see a return the police as an institution become 'off limits' to one section of the community. Let us hope we never *need* it again but not to the extent that it compromises the PSNI.

PS - It's also worth saying that because nationalists want something, doesn't mean that they're going to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I don't think the 50/50 will ever be reintroduced again it is too risky legally for the PSNI/DOJ.
    Religion needs took out of politics completly in a modern society.
    People in this country are still stuck in the middle ages that they seem to think a religion determines a person's political beliefs.
    Compared to what people want to believe the Roman catholic faith is the largest individual faith in N.I (Over 40% in last census) due to the Protestant faiths being broken down into so many "semi religions/churches".
    With this being said how can anyone say at 50/50 recruitment is fair when neither side take up 50% of the population. And also the fact there are so many other minoroty religions in N.I.
    Personally 50/50 wouldn't effect me as I come from a half Protestant half Catholic family but I myself am part of a completely different religious minority.
    I do believe that recruitment needs to target the whole community to make it fair and equal for everyone to join but people of certain religions cant be forced to apply. So it should always be the best candidates get the job.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    With respect guys, I've an alternative perspective. Policing during the troubles was another kettle of fish in completely different circumstances. I couldn't imagine myself having applied to the RUC in those circumstances. It just wouldn't have been an option.

They didn't have the Patten reforms for the craic. They didn't implement 50:50 willy-nilly. There where legitimate reasons for it. Let's have a police service that is reflective of all parts of our society. If Catholic numbers continue to drop, it will only undermine the legitimacy of the PSNI in those communities. We continue to live in a deeply divided society. We don't have a functioning government because of divisions. I wouldn't ever want to see a return the police as an institution become 'off limits' to one section of the community. Let us hope we never *need* it again but not to the extent that it compromises the PSNI.

PS - It's also worth saying that because nationalists want something, doesn't mean that they're going to get it.

Best person for the job, the only when we stop seeing catholic and protestestant will anything truly change.

The RUC had catholic constables, the only reason so few joined was because member of the their local community would think nothing of walking into their house amd shooting them dead in front to their families. Or putting a UVIED under their car that might kill their spouse and children.

The only people to blame for the lack of representation of catholics in the police is Sinn Fein and their hatred.

• Advertisement

Not like they spent 30 years demonising the police or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

I hope there will be no return to 50:50 it was down right wrong to turn somebody away because they were of a different religion, than what your quota called for, I agree with banterbus regarding sinn fien they have spent years preaching agaisnt the police and then all of a sudden are supporting it but they communities they represent dont change overnight just like that, it will take generations for things to change here!

A member of my family.

Was a full time reserve officer, who had to reapply for the regulars.

Never failed an assessment centre in his 7 attempts, protestant quota had been filled, protestant quota had been filled.

Made it to merit list to then get his dear John letter 6 times.

So he was coming public order duties at things like Drumcree, doing the exact same job as the regulars but then being told that he wasn't good enough for the regulars because of what denomination he was born into.

How is that fair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I would assume you don’t lose your original AC date if you ask for a reschedule, unless they grant the change of course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fermanaghKB

A member of my family.

Never failed an assessment centre in his 7 attempts, protestant quota had been filled, protestant quota had been filled.

So he was coming public order duties at things like Drumcree, doing the exact same job as the regulars but then being told that he wasn't good enough for the regulars because of what denomination he was born into.

How is that fair?

member of my family was in the same boat, got paid off just because he was a "reserve" police man. even though he did the same job as a regular. really unfair tbh!

Aye, so if you don't here by the day before I'd be going.

Above reference to Goonerdee's question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

A member of my family.

How is that fair?

member of my family was in the same boat, got paid off just because he was a "reserve" police man. even though he did the same job as a regular. really unfair tbh!

Disgraceful to both cases!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I Just want to say to those who didn't get the good news yesterday to keep your head up and chest out. I know it's heart wrenching, I was there in 1405. I am sure there will be another drive later this year to keep a steady flow of recuits. Use this experience and heartache to inspire you and you WILL get it, I guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

I do think 50;50 recruitment is stupid . Religion should have no place in protecting and serving the public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Adam261

Hi guys,i've been lurking on here for a while so i've finally decided to take the plunge!I really appreciate all the useful advice on here.

What i would say though is it might surprise you guys that there are very differing perspectives regrading the legacy of the RUC,and they arent all as great as you might hope.
    The RUC did a fantastic job of demonising themselves on 5th October 1968 when they battoned civil rights marchers off the streets of Derry, and remember the Provos didnt even exist at that point and Sinn Fein wouldnt appear for another 15 years.

I understand that there were a great number of RUC officers who found themsleves doing a difficult job in very difficult times, but the actions of a significant minority of biggoted officers have tarnished the reputation of the RUC in the eyes of even moderate middle class Nationalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrlovalova22

Folks can I just say, the best thing about this thread is the fact we all share the same hopes and dreams of becoming a member of the psni, and we have all spoken and supported one another, also giving valuable advice in certain times.

Regardless of any of our backgrounds or our political views, we've all managed to stick together for support. Let's not turn this into a "tit for tat" opinion poll and focus on continuing that same support, for both the people who are moving forward within the campaign but also the people who will be making there attempts again when it 're opens!

Hope everyone had a well deserved drink last night to :D!!

Folks can I just say, the best thing about this thread is the fact we all share the same hopes and dreams of becoming a member of the psni, and we have all spoken and supported one another, also giving valuable advice in certain times.

Regardless of any of our backgrounds or our political views, we've all managed to stick together for support. Let's not turn this into a "tit for tat" opinion poll and focus on continuing that same support, for both the people who are moving forward within the campaign but also the people who will be making there attempts again when it 're opens!

Too true about that, when you put on that uniform nothing else matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 fermanaghKB

all I can say; is anyone that passed, work your hardest to get in and out of gv!! as I know I being one would do anything to be in your shoes right now. good luck to everyone :)

all I can say; is anyone that passed, work your hardest to get in and out of gv!! as I know I being one would do anything to be in your shoes right now. good luck to everyone :)
    I've got my place at the AC, I'm just waiting for a email back from Deloitte giving me the all clear on substituting one of the GCSES with 2 AS levels (Not one of the important GCSES)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Adam261

Hear,Hear!
    I passed the IST and am now bricking it about the AC!
    For anyone that’s been through it before,do the role plays feel natural or quite false and forced??

Adam261 wrote: »
    Hi guys,i've been lurking on here for a while so i've finally decided to take the plunge!I really appreciate all the useful advice on here.

What i would say though is it might surprise you guys that there are very differing perspectives regrading the legacy of the RUC,and they arent all as great as you might hope.
    The RUC did a fantastic job of demonising themselves on 5th October 1968 when they battoned civil rights marchers off the streets of Derry, and remember the Provos didnt even exist at that point and Sinn Fein wouldnt appear for another 15 years.

I understand that there were a great number of RUC officers who found themsleves doing a difficult job in very difficult times, but the actions of a significant minority of biggoted officers have tarnished the reputation of the RUC in the eyes of even moderate middle class Nationalists.

Wasn't just RUC 1968 though that was primarily the USC

A few scummy RUC officers are the exception not the rule. They could have just shot catholics during riots but they didn't, you'll find most killings were carried out by the army...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Ultimately the RUC where done away with for a reason. 50:50 was introduced for s reason. If the RUC were without flaw we wouldn’t be where we are now with the PSNI. I’m not on the offensive, I’m just being objective with the reality of our situation. Further, the SDLP etc have supported the PSNI from their inception and I also believe they would favour a reintroduction of 50:50. They cannot be so easily blamed for hatred of the police.

We have something we can all buy into now and I’m greatdul for that.

It’s interesting this time around vetting will take place before the AC results in early May! That should speed everything up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Ultimately the RUC where done away with for a reason. 50:50 was introduced for s reason. If the RUC were without flaw we wouldn’t be where we are now with the PSNI. I’m not on the offensive, I’m just being objective with the reality of our situation. Further, the SDLP etc have supported the PSNI from their inception and I also believe they would favour a reintroduction of 50:50. They cannot be so easily blamed for hatred of the police.

We have something we can all buy into now and I’m greatdul for that.

It’s interesting this time around vetting will take place before the AC results in early May! That should speed everything up.
    I noticed that in the email, so are the vetting papers being sent out now ?

Advertisement