Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

DarylD96 wrote: »
    Hey everybody,
    So I did my medical last week, everything physically was perfect according to the nurse but I had a bit of a run in with my mental health and self harm last year so she wanted me to see the doctor. Bare in mind, I haven't self harmed in over a year, my mental health has never been better and I haven't been taking medication or receiving any other form of treatment for over a year. Even my GP says he thinks I'm ready and ticked to say he isn't worried about me having access to a firearm on the medical form. However, the doctor in occupational health was too busy on the day so she gave me an appointment for this week. (Not specifying dates as I got told of for this on the boards before lol).
    But here's where the problem starts, before the doctor has even spoken to me about it, I received an email saying I had failed my medical due to "Severe mental health problems and recurrent self harm". For a start, my mental problems were completely situational, I had a lot going on and found a stupid way to cope with it, but as I said, I'm better now. Also, the self harm was never recurrent.
    I'm now wondering, should I even bother going to the appointment with the doctor? It seems he has already made up his mind. I'd have a long way to travel to see him and my car has seen better days so I'm reluctant to go now.
    Would it be worth telling him the reasoning behind it and explaining that I am better now? Would he even take it into consideration? Also, if a history of mental health problems isn't acceptable now, when will it be? Like how long would it be until I can apply again and actually pass a medical? Is having one run in with my mental health going to stop me from ever joining the police or armed forces?

That's a tough one to answer on the board here Darryl. I would assume that if you have medical professionals willing to say that you are no longer a risk to the relevant authorities it could only strengthen your case. Have you talked to the PSNI directly about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭Ayechihuahua

Mate we have tried adding you multiple times now when you messaged about wanting in. We don't appreciate being referred to as cliquey though. If you want to blame anything then blame the limitations of the messaging system on boards.ie .
    We moved to the discord due to the serious trolling that we couldn't be bothered with as, you're correct, the board does provide a lot of support for people but one thing we don't need is winey negativity bring thrown about because our genuine attempts to send the link to you didn't come in time or were blank etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Grey8

Hey everybody,
    So I did my medical last week, everything physically was perfect according to the nurse but I had a bit of a run in with my mental health and self harm last year so she wanted me to see the doctor. Bare in mind, I haven't self harmed in over a year, my mental health has never been better and I haven't been taking medication or receiving any other form of treatment for over a year. Even my GP says he thinks I'm ready and ticked to say he isn't worried about me having access to a firearm on the medical form. However, the doctor in occupational health was too busy on the day so she gave me an appointment for this week. (Not specifying dates as I got told of for this on the boards before lol).
    But here's where the problem starts, before the doctor has even spoken to me about it, I received an email saying I had failed my medical due to "Severe mental health problems and recurrent self harm". For a start, my mental problems were completely situational, I had a lot going on and found a stupid way to cope with it, but as I said, I'm better now. Also, the self harm was never recurrent.
    I'm now wondering, should I even bother going to the appointment with the doctor? It seems he has already made up his mind. I'd have a long way to travel to see him and my car has seen better days so I'm reluctant to go now.
    Would it be worth telling him the reasoning behind it and explaining that I am better now? Would he even take it into consideration? Also, if a history of mental health problems isn't acceptable now, when will it be? Like how long would it be until I can apply again and actually pass a medical? Is having one run in with my mental health going to stop me from ever joining the police or armed forces?

Hey! I can only give my opinion but I’d definitely go to the doctors appointment - fight your own case on this and if they still fail you look at an appeal, you have nothing to lose but you’ll definitely gain nothing if you don’t attend at all. It’s a really grim situation but if it was me I’d be fighting my way to the end.. if your GP is happy to sign you off without a problem maybe they could liaise with the doctor at occ health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Joceyjoe

Hey everybody,

I would definitely go to see the doctor. It might be a long drive for you but you will regret not going. It’s definitely worth a shot. How can they fail you if you haven’t been fully assessed? Fight your corner x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭stm1

Mate we have tried adding you multiple times now when you messaged about wanting in. We don't appreciate being referred to as cliquey though. If you want to blame anything then blame the limitations of the messaging system on boards.ie .
    We moved to the discord due to the serious trolling that we couldn't be bothered with as, you're correct, the board does provide a lot of support for people but one thing we don't need is winey negativity bring thrown about because our genuine attempts to send the link to you didn't come in time or were blank etc.

I'm sorry if I came across winey. I didnt intend that at all. But the only link I received was of a few minutes ago and it was invalid. I have replied to the sender.

Maybe I just jumped the gun without realising you were having problems adding me and assumed due to no reply that you guys didn't want any new members unless they were known posters to the forum. Sorry again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Jaymeg

Could I have the link any lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ldngal18

Hey everybody,
    I'd agree with what others have said daryl. You should fight your corner and attend the appointment by all means.

However the police and armed forces are always cautious when it comes to accepting people with adverse MH history.
    Especially in the case of the PSNI where you will have your PPW with you outside of work hours as well. It would be negligent of them to ignore this with policing being a stressful job with long hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Recruit2013

Could i get link please ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

There is plenty of folk still here, I had around 10 people emailing me looking an invite (I can't invite people) chat away folk,!

I am still here anyway and I can answer and participate, let's get boards back to were it was

Anyone else get a call today, approx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Tom_90

Guys to be honest you aren’t missing out on much on the other chat! It’s mostly banter. There is still going to be useful information posted here to. Such a shame a few have ruined it for the many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Medical passed and now waiting on SMT results. Heres hoping for next batch of calls guys!

Also RE the discord server. Don't take offence if the people in it don't want to add the many lurkers on this board, none is intended. Surely you can understand the reasoning for its existence in the first place.

Anyone not in discord, how yous getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jaymeg

Confusedas wrote: »
    Medical passed and now waiting on SMT results. Heres hoping for next batch of calls guys!

Also RE the discord server. Don't take offence if the people in it don't want to add the many lurkers on this board, none is intended. Surely you can understand the reasoning for its existence in the first place.

Anyone not in discord, how yous getting on?

Heads up
    SMT takes about 2-3 weeks! Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Confusedas

Jaymeg wrote: »
    Heads up
    SMT takes about 2-3 weeks! Good luck

Cheers! Aye the nurse said they get the results back in a week but depending on HR you won't know for up to 3. Though they seemed to have been kicked into gear, had confirmation of medical being passed less than an hour after leaving site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DarylD96

#6,156
    So I failed my medical thanks to the doctor in occupational health being a smug ****. Not going to mention his name for security reasons obviously but he seemed to be determined to fail me for my mental health. That is now the army and police that have both failed me for something that was minor and entirely based on the situation I was in. I just want to know, is this going to effect me for the rest of my life just because I self harmed ****ing 3 times?

Back to my ****e ****ing civvie job tomorrow I guess. The police constantly claiming they support people with mental health problems too, they can go ****ing suck one the lying pricks

#6,156
    So I failed my medical thanks to the doctor in occupational health being a smug ****. Not going to mention his name for security reasons obviously but he seemed to be determined to fail me for my mental health. That is now the army and police that have both failed me for something that was minor and entirely based on the situation I was in. I just want to know, is this going to effect me for the rest of my life just because I self harmed ****ing 3 times?

Back to my ****e ****ing civvie job tomorrow I guess. The police constantly claiming they support people with mental health problems too, they can go ****ing suck one the lying pricks
    sorry to hear mate :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

#6,156

Listen mate I know it probably sucks right now and you feel like **** but just because they refused you on medical grounds now doesn't mean it's forever. I'd say wait a few years and see a psychologist talk with them and get them to give you an evaluation and a letter so you can show that you are of sound mental health, I wouldn't give up just yet mate give it a while and try again and I'd say you have a decent chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

#6,156

All will be grand, it's not the end of the world.

Take care of yourself in the meantime, do the stuff you enjoy, you'll get there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

#6,156

See if they can give you more information on the PSNI’s policies on recruiting people with a history of mental health difficulties. If it turns out they are very strict on that issue find out if they are as strict for support staff roles (if you didnt mind having a different jobin the same organisation).

Tom_90 wrote: »
    Guys to be honest you aren’t missing out on much on the other chat! It’s mostly banter. There is still going to be useful information posted here to. Such a shame a few have ruined it for the many

Ive registered for the chat but my invite had expired. Can someone pm the thread I should be looking for on the chat.

• Advertisement

Anyone get a call today?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭MikeOneJuliet

#6,156

I appreciate that the emotion is still raw and you're undoubtedly angry and disappointed, but realistically the chances of them passing you fit were very very slim. Anyone who put their name to paper signing you fit and able to carry a firearm would ultimately take the fall should something happen.

You need to understand that 12 months is not a long period of time. There are officers who have used their service weapon to commit suicide both on, and off duty. Mental Health is taken incredible seriously in what is an overwhelmingly stressful job. The Dr is doing what he feels right and best given the information in front of him, which I appreciate to you may not seem right, but ultimately he can take no chances.

I don't think you will forever be barred from passing the medicals. When a steady amount of time has passed and you can show that you have the issues under control for a longer period of time, then it would be well worth applying again.

In the mean time, keep your chin up and do your best to move on for a little while

• Registered Users Posts: 24 countrymusic1

#6,156

So sorry to hear this, I genuinely am. I have some concerns with this area myself. Did the dr say about how long you have to be "free" from mental health issues as such?

#6,156

So sorry to hear this, I genuinely am. I have some concerns with this area myself. Did the dr say about how long you have to be "free" from mental health issues as such?

I think it would depend on how long since your last episode of mental health difficulties as well as how often you have suffered these episodes. If it is a one off during a dark period of your life I think you will be fine. If its something that has happened time and time again it might be concerning to the medical team. I hope it works out for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Daisy04

Goonerdee wrote: »
    #6,156

I think it would depend on how long since your last episode of mental health difficulties as well as how often you have suffered these episodes. If it is a one off during a dark period of your life I think you will be fine. If its something that has happened time and time again it might be concerning to the medical team. I hope it works out for you all.
    So very sorry to hear this also, as has been previously stated the Drs are trying to look after you not punish you. Give yourself some time to heal properly and when you and the Drs agree you are ready apply again, you obviously did great getting this far and can do it again. I wish you all the very best, please keep your chin up and keep looking for at least one positive thing in your life each day 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LKB89

hi guys,

May I have the link to the private thread please?

Thanks.

Anymore Boardies 150-200 and is appointable?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Njim91

Hi guys, just a quick question as I've been away for some time now and the pages have ramped up on this! Anyone have any idea if the merit list for the 2017 campaign will be exhausted before any potential new merit lists are formed for subsequent campaigns? Basically, if the speculated 400 additional new officers that the CC has reportedly called for to be included in next year's budget, would the first few applicants put through to psni managed stages for those alloted places be taken from the current merit list first or will somebody who scored higher in the 2018 campaign get a place before?

Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cjc123

Can anybody who has done the medical help me ? I already asked a similar question regarding BMI but wanted to check-has anybody been over the 30 BMI mark and still passed? Someone said they were 32 and got in..
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Malonegirl96

cjc123 wrote: »
    Can anybody who has done the medical help me ? I already asked a similar question regarding BMI but wanted to check-has anybody been over the 30 BMI mark and still passed? Someone said they were 32 and got in..
    Thanks.
    They assess you based on looking fit and healthy. My bmi was on the low side and they just looked at me and said I looked fine. They said it’s not a reliable tool for a lot of people

Advertisement