Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

AC reschedule confirmation email finally came through. Now Booked on a suitable date for me in the not too distant future. Anyone else waiting to hear, hang in there it is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Wilbur08

AC reschedule confirmation email finally came through. Now Booked on a suitable date for me in the not too distant future. Anyone else waiting to hear, hang in there it is coming.

Super news!! You can relax over the weekend now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Brilliant news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Mine is through too, thank goodness, a lot of pressure took off. Working on getting it booked off now.

Goonerdee wrote: »
    Mine is through too, thank goodness, a lot of pressure took off. Working on getting it booked off now.

You get Enough notice this time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Wilbur08 wrote: »
    Goonerdee wrote: »

You get Enough notice this time?

Yeah two months notice this time, that means I also have the option of swapping days with someone if they don’t automatically give me the date off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Been quiet on here the past few days so let's get a chat going.

If youre successful at joining, what do yous think will be the biggest difference to your day to day life?
    Working more, first time working nights, possibly having to move house?

Is there anything in particular you're worried about?
    Less family time, the traveling, personal security?

With my current job I'm pretty much on call 24/7 (Ive been called out to work 3 out of the past 4 xmas days :( ) so I'm pretty excited that if Im successful i'll have more full days off, my rest days will actually be work free (excluding overtime).
    My biggest worry is personal security but surprisingly not from DR's. From local loyalists. Being recognised at work (maybe policing a parade or something) and then the house being targeted for my PPW while family are at home alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Well I'll be waiting a wee bit longer for another go but I'll pitch in.

Primary worry is family time, I will be giving up the part time job I love for that reason.

Personal security should be on everyone's mind but at the end of the day if you actually go through checking your car etc then you won't be targeted, they don't go for people who make them work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TW2017

Will you only have to check your own car, or all the cars in the driveway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

I would actually looking forward to days “off” to spend quality time with my kids. I’ve done a few different jobs so working shifts and nights won’t be an issue for me.

For me the security is a concern especially with having children. I think I would check all the cars before I leave for the day just to be sure.

• Advertisement

TW2017 wrote: »
    Will you only have to check your own car, or all the cars in the driveway?

Why wouldn't you check all the cars?

For me security will not really change as that is part of everyday life and has been for the last decade I've been with my partner. I've learned his little routine.

Biggest obsticle for me will be seeing him! ATM since having the little ones I do not work so when he comes home I am here and that ticks along nicely. However for my own sanity I need out and about hence joining up! We will be like passing ships to accommodate childcare and his other job/hobby so will be a major change but to be honest I'm ready for the challenge!

I'd be checking all the cars if possible. But I think I'd make the partner park in the garage at night. Its alarmed, stays locked and my dogs sleep in it at night, so it's a bit safer atleast that way if they forget to check the odd morning before work hopefully it won't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Well I'll be waiting a wee bit longer for another go but I'll pitch in.

Primary worry is family time, I will be giving up the part time job I love for that reason.

Personal security should be on everyone's mind but at the end of the day if you actually go through checking your car etc then you won't be targeted, they don't go for people who make them work.

Unfortunately the last part is not true. If they know you check your car they will look at other ways to attack. You're at your most vulnerable when you're on your hands and knees checking for bombs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭sparkylarky

NiK9 wrote: »

If youre successful at joining, what do yous think will be the biggest difference to your day to day life?

With my current job I'm pretty much on call 24/7 (Ive been called out to work 3 out of the past 4 xmas days :( ) so I'm pretty excited that if Im successful i'll have more full days off, my rest days will actually be work free (excluding overtime).
    My biggest worry is personal security but surprisingly not from DR's. From local loyalists. Being recognised at work (maybe policing a parade or something) and then the house being targeted for my PPW while family are at home alone.

The biggest challenge for me would be a healthy work life balance I am afraid work will completely take over and working shifts will make it hard to soicilse with my friends when they are off work.

Honestly im not one bit worried about the terrorist threat I don't fear them at all, now im not naive or trying to act hard but I genuinely am not afraid, I know they have the capacity and desire to kill and I know I could very well be killed or injured but I see no reason to fear them you could be killed by a car accident or a knife attack just as quick, I dont give them the sasifaction of being scared of them.

If I make it all the way and get in all being well I will be keeping my PPW on me at ALL times, so if anybody tries to break in to steal it they will be on the wrong end of it!!

Prefer to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 right.

Prefer to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 right.

NiK9 wrote: »

The biggest challenge for me would be a healthy work life balance I am afraid work will completely take over and working shifts will make it hard to soicilse with my friends when they are off work.

Honestly im not one bit worried about the terrorist threat I don't fear them at all, now im not naive or trying to act hard but I genuinely am not afraid, I know they have the capacity and desire to kill and I know I could very well be killed or injured but I see no reason to fear them you could be killed by a car accident or a knife attack just as quick, I dont give them the sasifaction of being scared of them.

If I make it all the way and get in all being well I will be keeping my PPW on me at ALL times, so if anybody tries to break in to steal it they will be on the wrong end of it!!

Paramilitaries arnt always the smartest though. They may attempt to break in when you're at work not thinking you will have it with you. Or you could be road trip down south with friends so can't take it and your family will be at home with it. Or for anyone who lives the other side of the border. Can't take their ppw home.

Thon German Shepherd, problem solved

That is true!! Not much you can do to get out of that one, if I had to leave it at home I would take tge barrel out and hid it separately to make it impossible to fire without the other part

• Advertisement

That is true!! Not much you can do to get out of that one, if I had to leave it at home I would take tge barrel out and hid it separately to make it impossible to fire without the other part
    That's actually a brill answer, I hadn't thought of that lol.

Leaving it at home, get a safe cemented into two walls, obviously can only do it if you own the house

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

I'm. It too worried about the person security as much, understand it will always be there and that you have to change how you live.
    The biggest thing for me is moving away from home, this scares me more than anything

KN1231999 wrote: »
    I'm. It too worried about the person security as much, understand it will always be there and that you have to change how you live.
    The biggest thing for me is moving away from home, this scares me more than anything

Best thing I have ever done is move out

Moving out is not scary, bills. Bills are scary

KN1231999 wrote: »
    I wouldn't rush it. You never know you may meet people in GV that also will have to move for work and yous may become best mates and decide to rent somewhere together.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Biggest worry about the job - getting shot in the back by people I grew up with.

Biggest motivator - having a sense of purpose. I’d be making more money in the private sector with better hours ultimately but nothing is ever going to beat the satisfaction I would get from helping people.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Biggest worry about the job - getting shot in the back by people I grew up with.

Biggest motivator - having a sense of purpose. I’d be making more money in the private sector with better hours ultimately but nothing is ever going to best the satisfaction I would get from helping people.

To me thats whats its all about being able to help people in their hour of need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

If you're going away on holiday or for any length of time then you don't leave your PPW in the house. Get it secured in the armoury where it's safe. Even the dumbest burglars will find it otherwise

• Advertisement

majgreen wrote: »
    If you're going away on holiday or for any length of time then you don't leave your PPW in the house. Get it secured in the armoury where it's safe. Even the dumbest burglars will find it otherwise

Even better idea! It doesnt bear thinking about a gun getting into the hands of criminals!

Advertisement