Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

NiK9 wrote: »
    KN1231999 wrote: »
    I forgot how terrifying that was lol. Atleast it's over with now.
    Think I did Ok, just 1 particular bit I'm worried about. But now just a waiting

It is pretty full on isnt it lol. Hope it works out for you this time.

Yea def was. I am confident. Just 1 bit that's worrying me but sure it's done with now.

Was really Supprised at mine. Not a single female. Last time my ac was half and half.
    And I was also the only one (out of ones who I spoke to) that had even heard of boards lol.
    Did you pass the AC last time??

No failed it during 1509 campaign
    You must have failed just by a few marks, any advice for someone attending it for the first time? Like things to always be thinking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I forgot how terrifying that was lol. Atleast it's over with now.
    Think I did Ok, just 1 particular bit I'm worried about. But now just a waiting

It is pretty full on isnt it lol. Hope it works out for you this time.

Yea def was. I am confident. Just 1 bit that's worrying me but sure it's done with now.

Was really Supprised at mine. Not a single female. Last time my ac was half and half.
    And I was also the only one (out of ones who I spoke to) that had even heard of boards lol.
    Did you pass the AC last time??

No failed it during 1509 campaign
    You must have failed just by a few marks, any advice for someone attending it for the first time? Like things to always be thinking about?

Yea it was which made it more heartbreaking lol.
    Keep track of your time and read everything clearly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SUFTUM95

Hey folks,

Firstly congrats to anyone who has made it this far. Keep up the good work!

I’ve been a forum viewer for some months now. But I have a few questions about the process to ask.

1) What do guys wear to the AC?
    2) Is it possible to ‘revise’ for it?
    3) How physically demanding do you think the fitness tests will be?
    4) Has anyone still in the process booked a Summer Holiday yet? If so which dates are/aren’t suitable?

Thanks! Hope to hear from you all soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

SUFTUM95 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

I’ve been a forum viewer for some months now. But I have a few questions about the process to ask.

4) Has anyone still in the process booked a Summer Holiday yet? If so which dates are/aren’t suitable?

Hey, without being rude - all these questions are answered and then some in the various threads posted if you take the time to look. I appreciate you want answers quickly but if people were to simply repeat and repeat and repeat what has been said x100 over for every new person that came along we'd get nowhere. Scroll back a few pages mate and re-read your invitation email to the AC.

As for the fitness test that's completely subjective. It really is relative to your fitness. PTI told me last time around if you can run a level 7 on the beep test you probably have the minimum fitness level to scrape passed but you should always aim for around 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Tom_90

Well, that was very hard. Glad it’s over and done with, not feeling overly confident but I’m settled in for the long wait. Good luck to everyone still to do theirs.
    T

• Advertisement

Tom_90 wrote: »
    Well, that was very hard. Glad it’s over and done with, not feeling overly confident but I’m settled in for the long wait. Good luck to everyone still to do theirs.
    T

Do not worry one bit. I felt rattled last time I left, like I failed. Unable to see how I could have passed. What I should have said etc. Then I passed. It's almost impossible to gauge how well you did after one of these. Fingers crossed matey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Tom_90

Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

SUFTUM95 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

The phys is the easiest part of the process because they literally tell you what you need to pass.

Max cardio and core strength. Look at the PCA video and do exercises that relate to each of the stations. I. E. You WILL need ti find a wall and get yourself over it, you WILL need ti practice moving swiftly on a balance beam.

In case any one is interested or knows someone who would be NIFRS are looking staff;

https://nifrs.erecruit.co.uk/erecruit/company/jobs.do;jsessionid=19B59429F42A5443FE0EAF835000EBF5

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DoryDog18

Hi folks,
    I’ve been a lurker on these boards for at least 3 years and never wanted to write everything as I didn’t want to stick my nose in!
    This is my 4th attempt and I have my AC quite soon, just wanted to pop in and say hello. The first AC I attended I was graded an A*, and the second I was graded a D so I have absolutely no idea what to expect!
    Can anyone who has already sat the AC in previous years advise me if they think it’s harder/easier than previously?
    Good luck to anyone who hasn’t sat it yet and hopefully speak to you all soon.

• Advertisement

DoryDog18 wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I’ve been a lurker on these boards for at least 3 years and never wanted to write everything as I didn’t want to stick my nose in!
    This is my 4th attempt and I have my AC quite soon, just wanted to pop in and say hello. The first AC I attended I was graded an A*, and the second I was graded a D so I have absolutely no idea what to expect!
    Can anyone who has already sat the AC in previous years advise me if they think it’s harder/easier than previously?
    Good luck to anyone who hasn’t sat it yet and hopefully speak to you all soon.

I like to think that it if it was easy everyone would be doing it. I've done one AC before so I really have nothing to compare that experience to from previous years. What determines pass/fail is the relative quality of the other candidates. If the quality overall is generally higher, the pass mark for the AC will be higher. A few weeks ago I harped on about the fact because the IST was so 'easy' the pass mark would be inflated and I would think most people would agree this time around that was the case. What I will say is this - after the last AC I made a mental note to myself to look back on my phone should I have to resit it again. One of my notes was "What you realise now is the AC is 50% down to your emotional state on the day". What I meant by that was that, if you're calm, composed and telling yourself you are doing fine, you will do fine. At least for me, that's half the battle. Good luck with your AC. Leave the self-doubt until that night!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Ive been putting hours into getting myself ready for this AC, its coming close now, ive programmed myself to be in the "I will not fail" mindset and i feel like im ready for what they throw at me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Ive been putting hours into getting myself ready for this AC, its coming close now, ive programmed myself to be in the "I will not fail" mindset and i feel like im ready for what they throw at me

Best of luck mate. Go smash it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭eslow

hey guys. New here. have the assessment centre really soon! feeling confident enough about it but worried about the ist resit! i guessed most of it last time and to my surprised passed it. anyone knows what happens if you fail it at the assessment centre? i know you have to do a resit but is it same day or do they bring you back? im struggling with should i be studying for it again or is that a complete waste of my time?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

eslow wrote: »
    hey guys. New here. have the assessment centre really soon! feeling confident enough about it but worried about the ist resit! i guessed most of it last time and to my surprised passed it. anyone knows what happens if you fail it at the assessment centre? i know you have to do a resit but is it same day or do they bring you back? im struggling with should i be studying for it again or is that a complete waste of my time?
    any help would be greatly appreciated!

The IST won't have "pass/fail" mark. It's basically just to make sure your score is within the same range as the original. If it looks like there is a massive drop in score they will bring you back to do a full IST under exam conditions (if you pass the AC).
    Wouldn't waste your time studying for it. Spend time on the A.C prep.

Just got word there from a serving constable that the PSNI are planning on returning to 12hr shifts. Day shift/night shift. No more half way house, nightlife shifts. As far as I know, this doesn't mean a return to 4 on/4 off rostering. I really wish they would return to 4 on/4 off.

It means a return to quick change overs though...

Also means there will still have to be a mid way shift to ensure overlap

How could they implement 12 hour shifts and *not* go back to 4 on/4 off.... What would it look like do you think? I remember there was a fuss kicked up when they got rid of the roster. The federation weren't happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Maxi515 wrote: »
    How could they implement 12 hour shifts and *not* go back to 4 on/4 off.... What would it look like do you think? I remember there was a fuss kicked up when they got rid of the roster. The federation weren't happy.

It's not 4 on 4 off, but it's much better than current shifts. No over laps needed. It's still just a rumour, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Advertisement

majgreen wrote: »
    It's not 4 on 4 off, but it's much better than current shifts. No over laps needed. It's still just a rumour, I'll believe it when I see it.

Would you say x5 12 hour shifts followed by x2 rest days is reasonable? I mean, doesn't that amount to more work, for the same cash?

Not that I'm afraid of a hard days work :pac: I just want to know what the tradeoff is.

Trade off is, if you live far away that'll be a dodgy drive home especiallybof you clocked over 3 hors with some k ob in hospital because he headbitted his face to mush in your car

Management will have to prove duty of care is satisfied

Hours*
    Hospital*

For obvious reasons I'm not gonna detail the proposals, however one week is considerably longer than the next, so take from that what you will. It's far better than what's currently in place but I'd imagine much more cost in terms of overtime. It actually means you get more rest days a year and they fall in a better pattern. But like i said. Pinch of salt until I see it on my duty roster.

Trade off is, if you live far away that'll be a dodgy drive home especiallybof you clocked over 3 hors with some k ob in hospital because he headbitted his face to mush in your car

It really makes zero difference to those who already work 10, 11 and 12 hour shifts and still have to drive a long way home. It's your own personal responsibility as to how far away you live

It really makes zero difference to those who already work 10, 11 and 12 hour shifts and still have to drive a long way home. It's your own personal responsibility as to how far away you live

That is fair enough but if you are a probationer who gets shafted with a district miles away, has a mortgage and a family and you lose your appeal, then crash and die because you felk asleeo at the wheel. Then fed would be climbing the walls. I have worked 36 hours shifts with an allocation of 8 hours rest which was never guaranteed because the children we looked after had challenging behaviours, and i found the drive 4 niles downnthe road ropey.

For obvious reasons I'm not gonna detail the proposals, however one week is considerably longer than the next, so take from that what you will. It's far better than what's currently in place but I'd imagine much more cost in terms of overtime. It actually means you get more rest days a year and they fall in a better pattern. But like i said. Pinch of salt until I see it on my duty roster.

Thank you, that gives me a better idea. I'll drawn my own conclusions. :pac: :pac:

That is fair enough but if you are a probationer who gets shafted with a district miles away, has a mortgage and a family and you lose your appeal, then crash and die because you felk asleeo at the wheel. Then fed would be climbing the walls. I have worked 36 hours shifts with an allocation of 8 hours rest which was never guaranteed because the children we looked after had challenging behaviours, and i found the drive 4 niles downnthe road ropey.

Sadly you agree to be sent anywhere in the province when you apply. 9/10 times you get a good allocation but there's always that chance to be the 1/10 so you need to be prepared for it

• Advertisement

Not to go off on a tangent but other than one or two people I know I'm not from a police family. I know you have to choose your preference for allocation. However, I know one probationer who went to a very 'quiet & safe" district and hates it because there is a complete lack of stimulation. I've spoke with constables who have said Belfast, Lisburn road is a non-stop, draining place where you barely get a chance to visit the toilet before being called away.

Are there any districts known to be a complete nightmare? If so for what reasons broadly speaking? I've heard carrick and larne being described as safe from dissisents relatively but at the same time I've also heard its a nightmare and they didn't elaborate.

Advertisement