Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Just making sure that everyone knows what they are getting into lol. I have expreienced true sleep deprivation lol and nothing would put me off this job

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Not to go off on a tangent but other than one or two people I know I'm not from a police family. I know you have to choose your preference for allocation. However, I know one probationer who went to a very 'quiet & safe" district and hates it because there is a complete lack of stimulation. I've spoke with constables who have said Belfast, Lisburn road is a non-stop, draining place where you barely get a chance to visit the toilet before being called away.

Are there any districts known to be a complete nightmare? If so for what reasons broadly speaking? I've heard carrick and larne being described as safe from dissisents relatively but at the same time I've also heard its a nightmare and they didn't elaborate.

Nothing stranger than folk mate, youbare gonna get all kinds of weird and winderful wherever you go lol

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

At the end of the day I would work all day 7 days a week without a break I want it this much. I don't have any family commitments. BUT, my preference would be a district that keeps you busy but not to the extent that you have to work your days off to keep on top of the followup aspects of your work.

I just don't want to go to somewhere and regret it. I know people who have went to Newry, Mourne and Down and absolutely loved their experience. I know people who attested from the same class and went to the North coast and are hating life. The worst about it is, the Newry crowd are far busier too.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    At the end of the day I would work all day 7 days a week without a break I want it this much. I don't have any family commitments. BUT, my preference would be a district that keeps you busy but not to the extent that you have to work your days off to keep on top of the followup aspects of your work.

I just don't want to go to somewhere and regret it. I know people who have went to Newry, Mourne and Down and absolutely loved their experience. I know people who attested from the same class and went to the North coast and are hating life. The worst about it is, the Newry crowd are far busier too.

From several officers I know Newry and Downpatrick are great ststions to get

From several officers I know Newry and Downpatrick are great ststions to get

Apparently, though the default for Probies is Ardmore in Newry unless you make a specific request otherwise? In any case that's a beautiful part of the world that has a mixture of country and urban environments... less so South Armagh :pac:

• Advertisement

The mournes is my happy place, 😂😂😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Belfast and Derry are the busiest. Lisburn road is most likely the busiest in the country because of the area it covers however it's not always as bad as people make out. Every station will have days where you don't get your break, it's the nature of the job. I never wanted Belfast but I'm glad I got it. My advice, go somewhere busy. You get used to the pressure and the business and you'll learn a lot quicker

majgreen wrote: »
    Belfast and Derry are the busiest. Lisburn road is most likely the busiest in the country because of the area it covers however it's not always as bad as people make out. Every station will have days where you don't get your break, it's the nature of the job. I never wanted Belfast but I'm glad I got it. My advice, go somewhere busy. You get used to the pressure and the business and you'll learn a lot quicker

If say I really didn't want Belfast...and I live in Belfast...Would I be better to put it down as my last preference or not a preference at all?

if you dont want it, dont request it. If its on your preference list, they will try to give you it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭eslow

Ok so.. had the assessment centre and messed up the first role play and action plan! For the rest I pulled it together actually think I did very well.. what's the chance of still passing? What bits carry the most points? I'm so annoyed with myself for not getting the first bits right! 😭 Suppose if anything it gives me a better idea of what to expect for next time I apply. Thanks!

eslow wrote: »
    Ok so.. had the assessment centre and messed up the first role play and action plan! For the rest I pulled it together actually think I did very well.. what's the chance of still passing? What bits carry the most points? I'm so annoyed with myself for not getting the first bits right! 😭 Suppose if anything it gives me a better idea of what to expect for next time I apply. Thanks!

Each section is graded and an overall score formed. If you did well elsewhere then there's a good chance it'll not damage your chances too much

How donyou know you messed up? You may not have done something perfec5ly but as lomg as you did something you'll be grand. Don't worry over something you don't know for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭eslow

I didn't read the question right for the action plan. And the role play I never got finished before the timer ran out. But the next two where fine.. or so I think. Guess it's just a waiting game. And if I don't pass this time.. then I'll just have to wait till the next intake and try again. Not knowing what to expect was the hardest bit!

There's no negative marking, so the only thing to be worried about is the action plan. The role play may not have been "finished" bit aslong as your line of questiining was logical and you went about it the right way you will have scored marks, relax man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

Thought this was worth re sharing.

“Dont be nervous. Read the situation. Just do what you think is the right thing as well as incorporating the personal behaviours. Don’t let the actors intimidate you. Cos that’s what they are. Actors. It’s your career. Demonstrate your abilities and just listen to the wee voice in the back of your head telling you why you think you would make a great police officer. Put your nerves on the back boiler. And go for it. It is hard but it’s meant to be. Just tell yourself you’ve come this far not to let nerves put you off. The best of luck. Remember. To hell with the nerves. They don’t own you. All the best” (Contributor to Boards IE 2009)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I didn't read the question right for the action plan. And the role play I never got finished before the timer ran out. But the next two where fine.. or so I think. Guess it's just a waiting game. And if I don't pass this time.. then I'll just have to wait till the next intake and try again. Not knowing what to expect was the hardest bit!

You arnt meant to be "finished"during the role plays anyway. So never worry about that. I didn't get my report writing finished. Everyone does better in certain bits than others. You did your best so that's all that matters. This is my third attempt.

To put it simply, they arent asking you to solve the problem yhey are lookong for you to gather as nuch information as possible. Collate it and then make recommendations about what to do next.

As well as assessing how you interact with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I dont want to get your hopes up, but I did the same thing in the last two campaigns, messed up because I didnt read the instructions, which is why I mentioned reading everything to those seeking advice. Even though I messed up, I passed both campaigns albeit with a low score, but I passed, fingers crossed you have done enough with the rest of the assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I am sure if that’s the only thing you feel wasn’t so good you will do absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

Finished the dreaded assessment centre! I could use a stiff drink right now. Tough. Tougher in my opinion than 1509's. Im not sure if thats because Im not more aware of what I didn't do this time around than when I was blissfully ignorant walking into an assessment centre back in early 2016. I remember finishing the last one and feeling rattled. I feel exactly the same. Maybe worse. Too hard to call. I hope I done enough even to scrape by. Time will tell and it is going to be a long wait.

I predicted a few weeks back when I got my AC notification that I would walk out of the hall and not know how to call it. My stomach was in knots last time and I passed then. So, maybe this is a good sign? It's all relative to everyone else though. I had quite a large group, much bigger than 1509 and not one person leaving said they felt confident about their performance - just a load of sighing all round. Who knows how we done though? It isn't every day we do this sort of thing. I made a good effort at it anyway. 

When I left the AC in 1509, I made a note in my iphone in the hotel lobby of what I would do different next time and how I would approach it again. I opened up the same note - and I had nothing to add to it next time.

My advice to anyone still yet to sit their AC is focus on metal state. I prepped loads. Practised loads. Tried to demonstrate the behaviours they wanted to see. If anything let me down it was probably composure during the role plays. They're only as big a deal as you make them in your head. Maybe pretending to yourself that you 'dont care' is probably a better strategy for remaining calm and collected than revision revision revision.

The last thing I want to say is that there was a surprising number of people at the AC who admitted to lurking Boards.ie but not making an account! Get on board  and contribute for goodness sake :) Good luck to anyone still due to sit the AC. May the odds be forever in your favour. 

NiK9 wrote: »

You arnt meant to be "finished"during the role plays anyway. So never worry about that. I didn't get my report writing finished. Everyone does better in certain bits than others. You did your best so that's all that matters. This is my third attempt.
    Funny you should say that. I was aware of the time so my report might be a little top heavy. Everything was finished but clearly, you could see where I was rushed. I wish I had some of that IST resist time to use to fix up that report a bit.

Finished the dreaded assessment centre! I could use a stiff drink right now. Tough. Tougher in my opinion than 1509's. Im not sure if that's because Im not more aware of what I didn't do this time around than when I was blissfully ignorant walking into my first assessment centre back in early 2016. I remember finishing the last one and feeling rattled. I feel exactly the same. Maybe worse. Too hard to call. I hope I done enough even to scrape by. Time will tell and it is going to be a long wait.

I predicted a few weeks back when I got my AC notification that I would walk out of the hall and not know how to call it. My stomach was in knots last time and I passed then. So, maybe this is a good sign? It's all relative to everyone else though. I had quite a large group, much bigger than 1509 and not one person leaving said they felt confident about their performance - just a load of sighing all around. Who knows how we have done though? Maybe we were just trying to make ourselves feel better about it.  It isn't every day we do this sort of thing. I made a good effort at it anyway. 

When I left the AC in 1509, I made a note in my iphone in the hotel lobby of what I would do differently next time and how I would approach it again. I opened up the same note - and I had nothing to add to it this time.

My advice to anyone still yet to sit their AC is focus on metal state. I prepped loads. Practised loads. Tried to demonstrate the behaviours they wanted to see. If anything let me down it was probably composure during the role plays. They're only as big a deal as you make them in your head. Maybe pretending to yourself that you 'dont care' is probably a better strategy for remaining calm and collected than revision revision revision.

The last thing I want to say is that there was a surprising number of people at the AC who admitted to lurking Boards.ie but not making an account! Get on board  and contribute for goodness sake :) Good luck to anyone still due to sit the AC. May the odds be forever in your favour. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Cornette

Good luck to those with AC’s coming up. Remember we are all in a privileged position so don’t be too hard on yourself if you feel you didn’t do/ask enough etc. Be confident, be happy 🙂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I have 3 years police service and let me tell you folks that assessment centre is tough.

I think it is unfair that they expect people with no investigative experience to go through something like that and perform well. In my honest opinion it is not an effective way to assess competencies.

I found it so entirely bizzare and false that I had to probe for basic vital information which in real life, credible witnesses will tell you without cue until you are blue in the face!

I have 3 years police service and let me tell you folks that assessment centre is tough.

I think it is unfair that they expect people with no investigative experience to go through something like that and perform well. In my honest opinion it is not an effective way to assess competencies.

I found it so entirely bizzare and false that I had to probe for basic vital information which in real life, credible witnesses will tell you without cue until you are blue in the face!

Exactly what my da says. How can they expect you to act like a peeler when you havent been trained to be a peeler...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SUFTUM95

Time to delete the account after that shambles.
    Best of luck to everyone still in the process. You’ll ace it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

SUFTUM95 wrote: »

You up today?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SUFTUM95

Slo85 wrote: »

You up today?

Unfortunately! Nothing worse than falling so far beneath the standards you set for yourself. I absolutely crumbled under the pressure. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Slo85 wrote: »

You up today?

Unfortunately! Nothing worse than falling so far beneath the standards you set for yourself. I absolutely crumbled under the pressure. :(

Head up. I bet your being really hard on yourself.

Advertisement