Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Any*

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mwat17

Nerves are setting in now as the date gets closer. Feel like I need to prepare more...but I almost can't!

Also, I had been away when my vetting form arrived...I posted it special delivery as soon as I could when back, but now seeing the dates you guys got yours, mine is likely over the 14 day return! By, I think, 4 days. If I get disqualified for that..... I'd be absolutely gutted.

mwat17 wrote: »
    Nerves are setting in now as the date gets closer. Feel like I need to prepare more...but I almost can't!

Also, I had been away when my vetting form arrived...I posted it special delivery as soon as I could when back, but now seeing the dates you guys got yours, mine is likely over the 14 day return! By, I think, 4 days. If I get disqualified for that..... I'd be absolutely gutted.

Throw them and email explaining your situation, they should be understanding not your fault after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

NiK9 wrote: »
    I personally think they should do it a bit more like the mainland forces. Smaller recruitment but more of them. Police Scotland have had constant recruitment for the last couple of years as far as I'm aware.
    On mainland they have the SEARCH assessment. Which, if you pass your score is active for 2 years. So someone could apply to go on the SEARCH course now, do their assessment get a pass and then hold off for 6months+ to finish uni, get married, etc etc.

Personally I though Police Scotland had it spot on. Very quick, thorough, and if you fail you can reapply in 6 months. I applied and by 3 months time I was marching around the square.

Recruitment is handled/assessed by serving officers who were very informative and personal. (Not to mention see through the crap) Often I would get a phone call from one particular recruitment constable with advice for the next stage etc. We talk of impartial recruitment in the PSNI via deloitte or these other companies but I can't help but think if they really want to make a difference and encourage particular minorities to join they should do it themselves and show the applicants the people behind the badge.

I personally think they should do it a bit more like the mainland forces. Smaller recruitment but more of them. Police Scotland have had constant recruitment for the last couple of years as far as I'm aware.
    On mainland they have the SEARCH assessment. Which, if you pass your score is active for 2 years. So someone could apply to go on the SEARCH course now, do their assessment get a pass and then hold off for 6months+ to finish uni, get married, etc etc.

Personally I though Police Scotland had it spot on. Very quick, thorough, and if you fail you can reapply in 6 months. I applied and by 3 months time I was marching around the square.

Recruitment is handled/assessed by serving officers who were very informative and personal. (Not to mention see through the crap) Often I would get a phone call from one particular recruitment constable with advice for the next stage etc. We talk of impartial recruitment in the PSNI via deloitte or these other companies but I can't help but think if they really want to make a difference and encourage particular minorities to join they should do it themselves and show the applicants the people behind the badge.

Problem is under Police (Recruitment) (Northern Ireland) Regulations 2001, the PSNI CANNOT be involved in the assessment process. You can bet yoir bottom dollar that if the PSNI was to go back to police managed recruitment Sinn Fein would drop their endorsement of the PSNI thus threatening the peace process...

Damn Patten Commission and their reforms...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

mwat17 wrote: »

Same thing happened with me and mine was a day late. Sent an email and was all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Problem is under Police (Recruitment) (Northern Ireland) Regulations 2001, the PSNI CANNOT be involved in the assessment process. You can bet yoir bottom dollar that if the PSNI was to go back to police managed recruitment Sinn Fein would drop their endorsement of the PSNI thus threatening the peace process...

Damn Patten Commission and their reforms...

Mate knock it on the head. See this obsession you have with Patten/Sinn Fein and the DUP's £Billion pounds is really starting to irritate me.

Sinn Fein represents hundreds of thousands of nationalists in Northern Ireland. That communities' experience, opinion and political outlook stance is completely valid and here you are, wanting to be a police constable demonising them every day. I went to university with someone who was the chairperson of Sinn Fein at university and is now a cop.

I'd vote Alliance and I would be up in arms if Patten was scrapped. I'm sure the SDLP would too as well as many others across the political spectrum.

The Patten reforms happened for a very good reason. Get to grips with it. 20 years ago. Get over it.

It's really easy to contribute to this forum without mentioning Sinn Fein, the DUP or anything else on the brink of what is appropriate. I try and do it everyday.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Mate knock it on the head. See this obsession you have with Patten/Sinn Fein and the DUP's £Billion pounds is really starting to irritate me.

Sinn Fein represents hundreds of thousands of nationalists in Northern Ireland. That communities' experience, opinion and political outlook stance is completely valid and here you are, wanting to be a police constable demonising them every day. I went to university with someone who was the chairperson of Sinn Fein at university and is now a cop.

I'd vote Alliance and I would be up in arms if Patten was scrapped. I'm sure the SDLP would too as well as many others across the political spectrum.

The Patten reforms happened for a very good reason. Get to grips with it. 20 years ago. Get over it.

It's really easy to contribute to this forum without mentioning Sinn Fein, the DUP or anything else on the brink of what is appropriate. I try and do it everyday.

Just telling it how I see it, if you don't want to see other people's opinions go elsewhere.

You do understand know the PSNI's full title don't you?

You seem to be the only one to have a severe issue with someone expressing a view different to your own.

I accept and respect your right to have a view and to express yourself on this, I have never told you to cut it out or demanded that you do something that you aren't comfortable with.

Only thing I have done is propose and introduce arguments that are the opposite of yours, if you are so easily offended then maybe just maybe this isn't the right career path for you?

I will become publicly neutral if and when I am attested, until that point i will express my freedom to speak whatever I wish.

You continue to introduce divisive nonsense and half-baked arguments that lack substance. I do have my own views but I prefer to keep them private because they're a personal matter and bare nothing on what is discussed here. My view is pretty much the mainstream. I accept there are two dominant communities and I accept they are both valid expressions of the respective communities beliefs. At the same time, having my personal beliefs, I haven't mentioned any political parties or attempted to push an 'us versus them' narrative here. It's unwelcoming. It isn't required. No one is saying you shouldn't have an opinion but in the circumstances, it's just unnecessary. You try and present nationalist parties as somehow being anti-police when that really isn't the case. Tory MP, Chris Patten was the governor of Hong Kong for goodness sake so I don't know what he is the target of ridicule either.

With respect Banterbus, I think there are people present here who just don't have time to challenge some of the inappropriate things you say. If I'm guilty of anything it is for biting. What do they teach you in GV? Stay grey.

You continue to introduce divisive nonsense and half-baked arguments that lack substance. I do have my own views but I prefer to keep them private because they're a personal matter and bare nothing on what is discussed here. My view is pretty much the mainstream. I accept there are two dominant communities and I accept they are both valid expressions of the respective communities beliefs. At the same time, having my personal beliefs, I haven't mentioned any political parties or attempted to push an 'us versus them' narrative here. It's unwelcoming. It isn't required. No one is saying you shouldn't have an opinion but in the circumstances, it's just unnecessary. You try and present nationalist parties as somehow being anti-police when that really isn't the case. Tory MP, Chris Patten was the governor of Hong Kong for goodness sake so I don't know what he is the target of ridicule either.

With respect Banterbus, I think there are people present here who just don't have time to challenge some of the inappropriate things you say. If I'm guilty of anything it is for biting. What do they teach you in GV? Stay grey.

I am a historian Maxi and as such I pull my views from what I observe.

Sinn Fein are in government and so are accountable not just to those who voted for them but also to every single person in NI. As are all political policies. And as such i hold them to account for the things that they do. This is a police specific forum and as such I will express my views accordingly.

I have as much a detest for the DUPs bigotry and hatred of the LGBTQ community and anything 'Irish'

Part of the problem we have in this country is the "the two communities" When can we see that the only way forward is to stop thinking like that?

I see two distinct political persuasions but I only see one community, our community that we all share and hold dear, as does the PSNI.

iI'm not pushing an us vs them narrative, you again only cherry pick what you want to see like all SJWs.

Twisting words to make your own narrative.

Sinn Fein are the party that refused to recognise the PSNI until 2007.

Am I not correct?

So for the 6 Years the PSNI were actively trying to fix what was wrong with the RUC to make it more representative of the community for which it is to serve, Sinn Fein by not endorsing the PSNI; they passively discouraged the people they claim to represent. That is my primary problem. The "Damn Patten reforms" jibe was a jab at the fact that the current use of Deloitte is somewhat illogical whilst actively having police involved in the process like Robo said is logical.

But no you decided to see the political dimension and not the logic of the post.

You need to pull your head out of your backside good sir

• Advertisement

from joining*

Now iff you want to have political debate outside of this forum I am happy to discuss at lengths. As I was taught to listen to others. But this is a POLICE specific forum. And as politics has such a direct impact on policing here it will come up. Not comfortable with that? Join the AGS or an GB force

This isn't the right place for this type of discussion. I'm not being dragged into it. You said something you really shouldn't have in this environment and I called you on it. I'm not going to get into a back and fourth. If you want you can PM me.

This isn't the first time you have specified a party and decided to bad mouth them needlessly. The impact of that is everyone who is potentially considering a career with the police, that votes for the said party might feel alienated by your commentary.

All I asked was that you be a bit considerate of the many people wanting to join that might be turned off your overt expressions of your personal views. Can you just show more awareness of the environment you're in? There are certain things that can be left unsaid. I'd like to think I've been pretty consistent in that regard. I follow current affairs and I have my own views. However, I recognise this isn't the right place to push anything like that. That is all but it seems you just can't help yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Right boys/girls enough of the political stuff, this is for advice and support during police recruitment. There are other sections of the Emergency Services Forum where this could be discussed.

Saying that, everyone needs to realise that politics is something you will have to face when you get to your station, learn to accept that you will have colleagues from all areas of the community. They will have opinions on current and historical events in Northern Ireland, some you will be OK with, some you will find offensive (offending someone is not illegal). You will all have to agree to disagree with each other, because when you are on the streets, most of the time, those people are going to be the only ones thats got your back. In the real world the only thing that will matter is that the boys and girls in green make sure each other gets home safe!

I think it's fair to say as a rule, if you think you shouldn't say something after your attestation - you probably shouldn't really be saying it before it either. I really wish Shield would come back/appoint another moderator to keep this forum strictly business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Any police officer publicly spouting about their political beliefs will quickly find themselves in hot water. It's obvious that everyone will have different opinions and support different parties but you should never start bashing one or the other in public. You are always a representative of the service and whether in uniform or not, keep it to yourself.

Please keep it on topic and civil. These are your potential future colleagues

majgreen wrote: »
    Any police officer publicly spouting about their political beliefs will quickly find themselves in hot water. It's obvious that everyone will have different opinions and support different parties but you should never start bashing one or the other in public. You are always a representative of the service and whether in uniform or not, keep it to yourself.

Please keep it on topic and civil. These are your potential future colleagues

Hence until I walk through those gates I will spout what I wish. I have no hatred of anyone, everyone is entitled to believe what they wish. We do live in a democracy after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Sooo... to change the subject lol. Do yous think they will have started the vetting for 1710 yet or do yous think they will wait until AC results come out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

I think they might start the less significant parts of the vetting now and then fully start processing them after the AC's have been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mrlovalova22

See I am seeing it a completely different way, I imagine/hoping that the assessments are counted up pretty quickly, then the folk who have passed are "passed" onto the vetting team for them to start their work, so come May we will get our results and then subsequently a date for the fitness test, just like we did with the IST results and assessment dates, just my own theory

• Advertisement

You Experian account will show a 'search' by a government agency once they've conducted the financial aspect of your vetting. That's a good indicator that you are well underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 OllieA3

You Experian account will show a 'search' by a government agency once they've conducted the financial aspect of your vetting. That's a good indicator that you are well underway.

Hi Maxi515, how do you know if you have been ‘credit checked’? Thanks.

OllieA3 wrote: »

If you subscribe to Experian credit expert (£14.99 per month) they will send you an alert when your report has been checked.

OllieA3 wrote: »

If you subscribe to Experian credit expert (£14.99 per month) they will send you an alert when your report has been checked.

I've used experian for a long time just to keep track of my credit score but never signed up for the paid service. Is it a contract or is it a month by month thing where I could cancle after seeing a credit check?

Alternatively you can just buy a full credit check of them...

Instead of subscribing.

See I am seeing it a completely different way, I imagine/hoping that the assessments are counted up pretty quickly, then the folk who have passed are "passed" onto the vetting team for them to start their work, so come May we will get our results and then subsequently a date for the fitness test, just like we did with the IST results and assessment dates, just my own theory

Yea that's what I am thinking will prob happen too. Although I dont think PCA dates will be given with the results. Top scorers will probably receive dates pretty quickly but the further down the merit list the longer we will have to wait for dates.

I've used experian for a long time just to keep track of my credit score but never signed up for the paid service. Is it a contract or is it a month by month thing where I could cancle after seeing a credit check?

Month by month. You can email them and cancel whenever. They don't take the money by direct debit so it's all done with your bank card. The benefit of membership in terms of the police is that it will send you a notification (or alerts as they call them) when something has 'changed' about your credit file, i.e. if you have been searched by a government agency. At that point you know you're background is being actively assessed.

Also if you're like me and you could do with improving your credit score from a fair to a good, the insights are really beneficial.

• Advertisement

Screen_Shot_2018_03_01_at_00_00_23.png

Advertisement