Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Slo85

Slo85 wrote: »
    Do you have a garden fence?

Not a fence but pretty high walls that I’ve flipping cut the knees of myself getting over.

Keep doing it. Wear jeans to save your knees

Kids love the competition to see who’s getting over first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Maxi515 wrote: »
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3900881/

I'll go by my mate who is a dietician. My sister was on a ketone diet for epilepsy and still required glucose every 2-3 days.

I'll go by what the neurosurgeon says maxi.

It can be supplemented obviously but supplemnenting is no par for glucose for brain cells.

What do you think Cavemen in the British isle done for tens of thousands of years when the nearest sugar was from cane in Jamaica lol. You don't 'need' it. You won't die from 12 weeks of keto dieting, however, VLCD plan is very different from a keto diet (although you can do a low carb VLCD if you wanted). I made the distinction earlier. A VLCD (such as Cambridge) induces ketosis because of a massive calorific deficit, not because it doesn't lack sugar. It isn't a made diet. It's a viable option for people who have quite a bit of weight loss to go. I'll be brutally honest, you can be fit and struggle at the PCA. Someone who is out of shape really needs to drop weight ASAP.

All these people you know Banterbus, you're like a socialite-freemason-phone directory. I would LOVE to just make one post without being second-guessed/having throwaway comments attached/the thrust of my information derailed by countless moot points/substanceless talking for the sake of it.

Jack-of-all-trade.png

Why would you advise someone to go on a mental diet.

Work pays for lifestyle not lifestyle pays for work.

You need to fimd your own way that you are comfortable with to pass PCA and then maintain that fitness to do the job. No point advising somebody to do something that is clearly unsustainable.

Dani my point primarily is if you want to start a diet talk to a qualified dietician.

Bear in mind any mentalist can call themselves a nutritionist.

For PCA practice to pass the assessment.

If you were joing a GB force, they use multi stage fitness test or bleep test.

I'd just be doing bleep tests until the cows come home. The PCA video is there practice each station. Practice each station when hangling out your backside. Muscle memory helps when you are breathing out your arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

I'd just be doing bleep tests until the cows come home. The PCA video is there practice each station. Practice each station when hangling out your backside. Muscle memory helps when you are breathing out your arse.

I actually tried doing this in my garage few days ago. Had a print out of the course. Closed my eyes and moved the shaped of the course obviously not the obstacles but just to know what direction to travel around cones etc.

• Advertisement

NiK9 wrote: »

I actually tried doing this in my garage few days ago. Had a print out of the course. Closed my eyes and moved the shaped of the course obviously not the obstacles but just to know what direction to travel around cones etc.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Njim91

Regarding the PCA, from the info I've seen on the psni website, the course tests various attributes (balance/ strength/ agility etc).
    For someone who has four football sessions a week, including interval training and sprints, is that enough to be physically prepared for it? Again apologies in advance, this may have been covered but I'm on this while on my break at work.

Njim91 wrote: »
    Regarding the PCA, from the info I've seen on the psni website, the course tests various attributes (balance/ strength/ agility etc).
    For someone who has four football sessions a week, including interval training and sprints, is that enough to be physically prepared for it? Again apologies in advance, this may have been covered but I'm on this while on my break at work.

Should be. Just practice climbing a wall, balancing on a beam and stairs.

And dragging weight. Simulates dragging a colleague to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Why would you advise someone to go on a mental diet.

Work pays for lifestyle not lifestyle pays for work.

You need to fimd your own way that you are comfortable with to pass PCA and then maintain that fitness to do the job. No point advising somebody to do something that is clearly unsustainable.

I was offering my opinion as a potential option and you hijack the topic with information that was just plainly incorrect. The training needs of someone who is a little out of shape and someone who is close to being morbidly obese BMI, for a fitness test in the space of a few weeks is dramatically different.

No VLCD ever recommends doing it for more than 12 weeks. You sustain by changing your diet permanently after you've lost in initial weight in a short space of time. No VLCD program ever recommends taking fruit, in fact, its counter-intuitive. I said in my initial post I wasn't a dietician but apparently, you happen to know one making your info more valid or something. Much like your post yesterday evening when you suggested you could somehow do spot fat loss on the stomach. Just a nonsense bro science, click bait myth. Your problem is banterbus you have too much to say for yourself and at the best of time your info turns out to be half true. I'm sorry if I seem harsh but its every day, it's infantile. You don't always have to pretend to know something more than someone else. I didn't want to get into a protracted discussion but you can't let anyone else say something without adding to it, even when you're wrong.

• Advertisement

More than enough. Whatever your pass time is that you record, you will have to show improvement by the end of training at the police college.

I'll make sure to do that, I'll have my family driven mad hopping the back wall for the next while haha. I know this next point is off topic and please excuse the pun as I "steer" in the direction of driving.
    Is a driving course part of training at GV for all SO's? Again, being from ROI, I have only started my mandatory 12 lessons in the last few months. I can drive no bother but I've always put off getting my licence because school / college / work have always been accessible on public transport. I hope to have my test passed and finished before an invitation to GV (should I be successful). Are there any restrictions if you have to display L or R plates on your personal vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Does anyone know the weight of the drag bag?

You keep replying though. If you are so holier than thou act as such...

I love winding you up. Actually a bit sad that you take everything so personally.

It's not "bro-science"

I have a keen interest in epilepsy treatment and then that interest links to other things that i enjoy reading about.

Please go cry somewhere else. If you can't take a bit of cheek on the internet i seriously wonder to how you will cope when someone throws a mouthful of phlegm at your face...

I'll make sure to do that, I'll have my family driven mad hopping the back wall for the next while haha. I know this next point is off topic and please excuse the pun as I "steer" in the direction of driving.
    Is a driving course part of training at GV for all SO's? Again, being from ROI, I have only started my mandatory 12 lessons in the last few months. I can drive no bother but I've always put off getting my licence because school / college / work have always been accessible on public transport. I hope to have my test passed and finished before an invitation to GV (should I be successful). Are there any restrictions if you have to display L or R plates on your personal vehicle?

Driving is done through probation after GV. My mate in the north coast still hasnt been sent for driving even though he's a year out of GV next month. You don't need a licence to be a police officer initially although it really helps and you need to eventually commit to getting one.

Koph89 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the weight of the drag bag?

30kg, to simulate half the weight of a college. The thinking is if a colleague is injured, two people will pull him or her to safety.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Driving is done through probation after GV. My mate in the north coast still hasnt been sent for driving even though he's a year out of GV next month. You don't need a licence to be a police officer initially although it really helps and you need to eventually commit to getting one.

I see. I should have my licence in the next month or two so hopefully there are no issues with the subsequent plates on my own vehicle. I'm assuming until you are qualified to drive police vehicles, that you are restricted to uniformed foot patrols etc? Or are you still able to go out in a patrol vehicle with a driver? Again I understand people may not know this info but just picking brains.

PSNI are primarily vehicle bound so you'll be riding shotgun or cover man/woman until you get driver qualified.

Thanks Maxi. Are you only allowed to use one hand for drag bag? The girl in the video just uses one lol... also, anyone know the weight for the lift and carry kettle bell things?
    Anyone that's done it before, are there any parts of the circuit where you can catch your breath lol and still stay within time frame or would people advise just pushing as quickly as possible through it?

PSNI are primarily vehicle bound so you'll be riding shotgun or cover man/woman until you get driver qualified.

Ah that's good to know. Cheers

• Advertisement

Unless you get Musgrave, Ards and North Down, Lisburn or North Coast. They do foot patrols to deter anti social behaviour and for Musgrave they do city beat lol. Other districts may do foot pateols but unfortunately depends on the assessed threat level

Thanks Maxi. Are you only allowed to use one hand for drag bag? The girl in the video just uses one lol... also, anyone know the weight for the lift and carry kettle bell things?
    Anyone that's done it before, are there any parts of the circuit where you can catch your breath lol and still stay within time frame or would people advise just pushing as quickly as possible through it?

You can do it however you like. I was told by a PTI on the day grab by one hand and look in the direction you're running.

Some people were saying to pace themselves so they can go full pelt at the end. The instructions on the day where don't leave it to chance, run like the hammers from the start and don't stop.

Unless you get Musgrave, Ards and North Down, Lisburn or North Coast. They do foot patrols to deter anti social behaviour and for Musgrave they do city beat lol. Other districts may do foot pateols but unfortunately depends on the assessed threat level

Are LPTs/NPTs deployed from Musgrave?

yeah it's so hard to know until you're actually there and seeing it and judging it that way. Just hope I have the stamina for it. At familiarisation can you attempt one full lap of the circuit or just sample different parts of it?

Dunno but i see peelers walk out of musgrave into the city cenrre and that "city beat" van go in and out of it all the time
    Maybe ot's a case of people from Lisbirn road and strand town being voluntold to go musgrave.

yeah it's so hard to know until you're actually there and seeing it and judging it that way. Just hope I have the stamina for it. At familiarisation can you attempt one full lap of the circuit or just sample different parts of it?

No, unfortunately, you can only attempt individual elements. You aren't allowed a practise run!
    Dunno but i see peelers walk out of musgrave into the city cenrre and that "city beat" van go in and out of it all the time
    Maybe ot's a case of people from Lisbirn road and strand town being voluntold to go musgrave.

Maybe they were dropping someone off to Belfast custody because there are no LPT/NPT teams based at Musgrave. Lisburn road covers most of the town. North Belfast do the other half. From the Deershead/Aether and Echo onwards.

Further, there are foot patrols in Antrim, Larne, Carrick, Ballymena, I've seen them in Banbridge too and Fermanagh....

They walk out of musgrave into the city centre, dander about, chat to people. Definition of a beat patrol.

Not saying that foot patrols only happen where i said they do.

Those are the places that I have seen them. Funny that. Evidence.

Depends on the threat level i suppose and obviously staffing

I see. I should have my licence in the next month or two so hopefully there are no issues with the subsequent plates on my own vehicle. I'm assuming until you are qualified to drive police vehicles, that you are restricted to uniformed foot patrols etc? Or are you still able to go out in a patrol vehicle with a driver? Again I understand people may not know this info but just picking brains.

When you go out on probation you're paired up with someone every day at the station. One of you will be the driver. One will be the observer. If you both have driver cards you can take it in turns. It won't always be the same people. the majority of people don't end up driving in their six months-first year. Getting too and from GV to the shops though it would be handy to have a car. There is a big tesco nearby but I'm not sure if you're allowed to just walk in and out. In any case, driving is something that should be a priority but it doesn't have to be immediate.

They walk out of musgrave into the city centre, dander about, chat to people. Definition of a beat patrol.

Not saying that foot patrols only happen where i said they do.

Those are the places that I have seen them. Funny that. Evidence.

Depends on the threat level i suppose and obviously staffing

To quote you, you said 'Unless you get musgrave, lisburn' etc. As if you knew exactly where, when and what.

No one can 'get' musgrave. Your list is prescriptive but its just plain wrong. Another example of you making up facts based on info you've collected from the back of cornflakes packets. You're like the serial bull****ter. You're 60% hot air.

If you're going to 'help' people at least try to do so when you know what you're talking about or leave a disclaimer.

• Advertisement

Ok matey.

You are so literal. Maybe this isnt the job for you as you dont seem to take inferences very well or clean miss things.

Haha

Advertisement