Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

I would say it's possible

Quicker you lot get through the quicker it's the unlucky ones chance to go again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

I suppose it depends on how many were in the first progression batch. If it was only enough to cover one intake of students I would say there will be one more batch progressed before the 4th May. Otherwise it will be 7 weeks passing (email until 4th May) with no word/action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Quicker you lot get through the quicker it's the unlucky ones chance to go again
    Yep, thankfully Deloitte and PSNI seen sense and speed up the process. Benefits all parties now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

I suppose it depends on how many were in the first progression batch. If it was only enough to cover one intake of students I would say there will be one more batch progressed before the 4th May. Otherwise it will be 7 weeks passing (email until 4th May) with no word/action.
    Yeah after the AC, the handout they give us said we could be called in as little as 2 weeks for PCA but I assumed that’s been handed out since the start of the AC’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Does anyone know what the familiarisation specifically entails? Is it a mock test were we go for it and see what time we get or do you just look at each station individually?

Common sense dictates that to would bring forward more than just a squad.

Although common sense may be too much to ask for...

Rossco22 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the familiarisation specifically entails? Is it a mock test were we go for it and see what time we get or do you just look at each station individually?

I believe the PTIs show you how to negotiate each obstacle and let you have a few "walk-through-talk-through" goes and a practice go.

Needless to say hydrate well the night before 😂😂😂

Have a few beers after you get that bulky envelope 😋😋😋

Yeah after the AC, the handout they give us said we could be called in as little as 2 weeks for PCA but I assumed that’s been handed out since the start of the AC’s.

Just read my handout and it doesn’t mention 2 weeks. Just said that PSNI may instigate phased processing of successful candidates to PCA in the coming weeks.

That was given to me early Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GV2018

If any of you guys/girls have any questions about the process or training itself ask away, I know I had millions before I started

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tinshed22

From speaking to a recently appointed PC, the familiarisation is a chance to take a look at each station and try them a few times. He did say that nobody is allowed to complete a full circuit or time themselves.

I’m taking it as a chance to try the couple of parts I think could slow me down. Eg, the wall, balance beam and ducking under the bar (I’m tall). Speaking to the same PC, however, he says there is little to worry about really so long as you are in any way fit. ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

Tinshed22 wrote: »

From speaking to a recently appointed PC, the familiarisation is a chance to take a look at each station and try them a few times. He did say that nobody is allowed to complete a full circuit or time themselves.

I’m taking it as a chance to try the couple of parts I think could slow me down. Eg, the wall, balance beam and ducking under the bar (I’m tall). Speaking to the same PC, however, he says there is little to worry about really so long as you are in any way fit. ðŸ˜

I had similar feedback also from a fairly new PC, I hope they're both right haha!

Keys to the castle guys so so so close and it hasn't even been that long from our apps going in. No more agonising waits and sitting in limbo for close to two years.

Be very please with yourselves. Just the PCA and then it's wee buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

PCA frightens me more than AC... :'(

Bollocks to that. If you PCA is soon you are the creme de la creme.

High flyers and once you get through this the only thing you "have" to do is some online learning. Vetting and medical is all on others and so nor reason to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Koph89

Ha, wish I had your confidence Banterbus :)

How about you's all just prove me right and pass your PCA lol. You all can do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GV2018

PCA is definitely more about technique than speed, if you get round it cleanly you'll have absolutely no issues. It does leave you busted though so don't underestimate it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

If you've never been before I HIGHLY recommend it.

They show you the actual course but you get to try the various obstacles. You can't do a timed lap as everyone is there trying bits out.

Plus getting to know the venue and layout will help the nerves on the big day

If you can go then do go.

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »

If you've never been before I HIGHLY recommend it.

They show you the actual course but you get to try the various obstacles. You can't do a timed lap as everyone is there trying bits out.

Plus getting to know the venue and layout will help the nerves on the big day

If you can go then do go.

Keys to the castle and all that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ash1008

I assume everyone has seen the PCA on YouTube?  It looks like if you're even reasonably fit and agile it wouldn't be a problem.  I'd say only people with agility/mobility/weight issues would find it to be a stumbling block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Ash1008 wrote: »
    I assume everyone has seen the PCA on YouTube?  It looks like if you're even reasonably fit and agile it wouldn't be a problem.  I'd say only people with agility/mobility/weight issues would find it to be a stumbling block.

Don't forget though it's 3 laps. The video is one lap at 1.12, after 3 laps she would only have 16 seconds to spare. And that's with no mistakes and the person in video knows the course inside out.
    Doesn't matter how fit someone is, there isn't a chance anyone is going to keep a consistent speed for all 3 laps. Everyone will slow after each lap.
    Everyone will need to push themselves.

If I am lucky enough to do it my tactic would be to go flat out like the flash in the straights, the crawl (right to the end of the mat to avoid that last pole) and the jump. Then take extra caution on the stairs and cone weave. I would not want to have to redo those...

Balance beam shouldnt be an issue. Bag drag likewise if I am looking at where to drop it each way.

Never done it before though and if I went to a familiarisation I might not think the same lol

If I am lucky enough to do it my tactic would be to go flat out like the flash in the straights, the crawl (right to the end of the mat to avoid that last pole) and the jump. Then take extra caution on the stairs and cone weave. I would not want to have to redo those...

Balance beam shouldnt be an issue. Bag drag likewise if I am looking at where to drop it each way.

Never done it before though and if I went to a familiarisation I might not think the same lol

Bit I'm worrying about most is the steps and ducking under the poles. The rest is basic movements, but when in day to day life do you ever go up and down steps while bent over lol.

NiK9 wrote: »

Bit I'm worrying about most is the steps and ducking under the poles. The rest is basic movements, but when in day to day life do you ever go up and down steps while bent over lol.

You're a lanky one aren't you? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

Something which I hope to instill in some people who are currently awaiting the PCA.

You shouldn't just be training for just the PCA.

Short term you should be training for the PCA.

Medium term you should be training for the training college.

Long term you should be training for being a constable.

Your approach to fitness training should be that one day your life may depend on how physically fit and capable you are. Especially in the role of a PSNI constable. Therefore you should train with that in mind. You may need to fight off a gang of people physically assaulting you or may need to run to the aid of a colleague. You should train with that in mind. Doing the bare minimum to pass the PCA isn't good enough.

Train as if your life depended on it. Because it very well might one day.

NiK9 wrote: »

Yeah at 6ft I was never any good at limbo never mind with steps included lol gonna be tricky

Adam West wrote: »
    Something which I hope to instill in some people who are currently awaiting the PCA.

Your approach to fitness training should be that one day your life may depend on how physically fit and capable you are. Especially in the role of a PSNI constable. Therefore you should train with that in mind. You may need to fight off a gang of people physically assaulting you or may need to run to the aid of a colleague. You should train with that in mind. Doing the bare minimum to pass the PCA isn't good enough.

Couldn't agree with you more!!!

• Advertisement

Adam West wrote: »

Fitter you are the better you cope with the shift work. Plus you may be wearing a ballistic vest for 10-14 hrs a day...

Good fitness will help you be a peeler.

Good fitness also will hekp you keep going and keep focus when others are fading.

Advertisement