Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

As well as that GV sounds like its gonna be a melter.

Physical fitness training is one aspect of GV so why not put in the work now in preparation of GV so its one less thing you have to worry about when you get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Adam West wrote: »

Physical fitness training is one aspect of GV so why not put in the work now in preparation of GV so its one less thing you have to worry about when you get there.

The fitness at GV is one of the things im looking forward to most. Getting into a decent routine of mon-fri and training before or after classes. At the min I train as soon as I get up but that's only because my shifts are all over the place. E.g. i finish tomorrow for 3 days (That's alot for me in a row) but then I have 8x 12hour nightshifts in a row. Terrible for trying to have a decent training and eating routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

NiK9 wrote: »
    Adam West wrote: »

The fitness at GV is one of the things im looking forward to most. Getting into a decent routine of mon-fri and training before or after classes. At the min I train as soon as I get up but that's only because my shifts are all over the place. E.g. i finish tomorrow for 3 days (That's alot for me in a row) but then I have 8x 12hour nightshifts in a row. Terrible for trying to have a decent training and eating routine.

Mate that’s horrendous. You get your arse around that bloody obstacle course.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

I get that. Its tough. I have a fairly regular work schedule and its tough to come home from work where I'm tired, then try motivate myself to go for a run. Its hardgoing. One thing I have done which is a bit of craic is to do a 5k run then for the last 200m pretend I'm chasing a suspect. You'd be surprised how fast you can move, even at the end of a run when you give yourself a bit of motivation like that, gets the adrenaline going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Nah just race your dog...

• Advertisement

rekcuF wrote: »
    Disband the RUC now they've had their fúckin' day!

Cool story bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Guys, the PCA is incredibly straightforward, so long as you stop over complicating things in your head. Take obsticles one at a time and dont be worrying about the next one until you get to it. Quite frankly, you can complete the PCA at a very brisk pace. The first time i did it, i went hell for leather and by the third lap I had blurry vision, couldnt control my breathing and was about to puke. I went too fast too quick and nearly burnt out. Every time i did it after this, i got quicker and quicker. During probation I completed it twice again, and once again was faster than the last time. My final PCA was 3:00 and I didnt even break a sweat. During the last 2.5 years I have done literally ZERO fitness. I've eaten absolute crap cause, lets face it, takeaways are easier to munch on shift. You dont need to be SUPER fit to pass, you just need to be calm and collected. I've seen guys weighing near 15-20 stone (not the good kind of heavy either!) beat their PCA on numerous occaisions. My advice is this; take it calm, focus, concentrate. Dont go too quick at the start, the PTI's will tell you if you're not going quick enough. Make sure you've had breakfast, make sure you warm up. Dont overcomplicate and dont think too far ahead. Its easily achievable.

About 17 years late to the party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GV2018

The fitness once you're in GV really isn't that difficult, you don't get all that many sessions with the PTIs unless you actually book them. The onus is more on yourself which can be good or bad.

Use exercise to relive the exam stress. Worked for me at uni.

Two birds one stone.

• Advertisement

GV2018 wrote: »
    The fitness once you're in GV really isn't that difficult, you don't get all that many sessions with the PTIs unless you actually book them. The onus is more on yourself which can be good or bad.

GV2018 were there any serving officers from the mainland in your squad or any others you may be aware of? If so what was the circumstances surrounding keeping their salary.

GV2018 were there any serving officers from the mainland in your squad or any others you may be aware of? If so what was the circumstances surrounding keeping their salary.

As long as there is no break in service i think you should keep your current scale or the closest PSNI scale. (PSNI have had no pay award as of late)

I think this is a question for HR. Just ring 101 and ask.

They may try and say that when thr time comes it will be considered on it's individual merits. But if you explain that this is your life and you need some kind of guidance as to what to expect then they should be sympathetic.

"What is the usual practice"...

They may try and say that when thr time comes it will be considered on it's individual merits. But if you explain that this is your life and you need some kind of guidance as to what to expect then they should be sympathetic.

Yeah gonna give them a call and see what the craic is. Don’t fancy cutting from £30k to 19

No one in your boat that I'm aware of mate sorry

No one in your boat that I'm aware of mate sorry

No problem bud thanks for getting back to me.

Yeah gonna give them a call and see what the craic is. Don’t fancy cutting from £30k to 19

You are forgetting NITA

£3195 tax free paid monthly danger money. "NI Transitional Allowance"

Yeah it's a nice little boost. Although, call me greedy I want to keep my current + NITA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

You should be able to keep it. Obviously you'll not get the increments that others do as you're already there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Yeah it's a nice little boost. Although, call me greedy I want to keep my current + NITA

If you don't mind me asking what's the main reason you want to leave your current force and go to PSNI? Are you from here origionally?

Homer01 wrote: »

You should be able to keep it. Obviously you'll not get the increments that others do as you're already there.

Happy days, puts my mind at ease a little thanks!

If you don't mind me asking what's the main reason you want to leave your current force and go to PSNI? Are you from here origionally?

No problem at all. Yes I’m from NI and applied in 1405 but was knocked out at IST. Then that campaign froze and I thought to hell with it and applied to police Scotland, made the move over when I was successful.

One of the main reasons for me is that it is a lot more expensive over here. That and, if I am honest, the PSNI is such a unique force with some of the best intel and survellience units in the world. NI is the most challenging operational policing environment in the uk and for me that is where I want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

No problem at all. Yes I’m from NI and applied in 1405 but was knocked out at IST. Then that campaign froze and I thought to hell with it and applied to police Scotland, made the move over when I was successful.

One of the main reasons for me is that it is a lot more expensive over here. That and, if I am honest, the PSNI is such a unique force with some of the best intel and survellience units in the world. NI is the most challenging operational policing environment in the uk and for me that is where I want to be.

I know a few who have gone down a very similar path. Most looking back for the cost of living, home sick and of course PSNI are the best #upapeelers

280K for a house in the south east that would cost you 150K max here...

Yeah and as a PC you earn pretty much the same (slightly more in NI due to NITA) anywhere in the UK. So living in NI doing the job makes you much wealthier compared to here.

Robocop you don't by any chance have a brother in training at the minute do you?

Robocop you don't by any chance have a brother in training at the minute do you?

No mate not me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

You keep your salary and get to skip probationary period depending on the length of your current service. Atleast that's what's happened with previous candidates in your position

• Advertisement

majgreen wrote: »

You keep your salary and get to skip probationary period depending on the length of your current service. Atleast that's what's happened with previous candidates in your position

That's what I was hoping thank you

Advertisement