Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 ldngal18

I would guess that the PSNI have been given a list of people who have scored above a certain mark on the AC. They will know how many new PCs they need in the next 12 months or so.
     In these days of fiscal pressure on public services it makes more sense to advance people to PCA and medical etc who would stand a realistic chance of making it to GV, as opposed to everyone who passes the AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goodburger1

Ash1008 wrote: »
    I assume everyone has seen the PCA on YouTube?  It looks like if you're even reasonably fit and agile it wouldn't be a problem.  I'd say only people with agility/mobility/weight issues would find it to be a stumbling block

I got 2 weeks notice for my pca, and did it with a pulled calf muscle, a chest infection and another infection to which I was on horrid antibiotics. I am not the athletic type and I passed it. I had done no training before it. And I am old. If you do a bit of running you will sail it no bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I havent been on this board for a while and Ive missed loads! So people have been called to do their PCA?

I havent done my AC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Njim91

Hi folks,

Just a quick question for anyone applying from ROI.
    Can someone PM me with regards to the education eligibility for ROI applicants? Just have a query with regards to the junior/ leaving cert equivalent grades. I'm pretty sure I have it covered but want to double check a few things.

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Njim91 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just a quick question for anyone applying from ROI.
    Can someone PM me with regards to the education eligibility for ROI applicants? Just have a query with regards to the junior/ leaving cert equivalent grades. I'm pretty sure I have it covered but want to double check a few things.

Thanks a million!

JoinPSNI page gives you a link to an equivalency table

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Not much but here’s another video of the PCA created by JOE.ie, gives a closer look at the obstacles.

https://youtu.be/bx2aUhmdUYs

(I’d also like to add that the YouTube page it’s posted on is not mine)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I havent been on this board for a while and Ive missed loads! So people have been called to do their PCA?

I havent done my AC yet.

Yea things seem to be moving on quick enough now thankfully. Good luck with your ac

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

I'm almost certain I read in the notes on the psni website that if you fail the pcs you're given a training programme to follow and you can retest in 13 weeks. Did anyone else read that or have I made this up? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gardocki

Lily79 wrote: »
    I'm almost certain I read in the notes on the psni website that if you fail the pcs you're given a training programme to follow and you can retest in 13 weeks. Did anyone else read that or have I made this up? :)

Certainly had it in the last campaign. Not sure if it was as long as 13 weeks but anyone who failed was given a programme and I believe extra classes at the PCA location before retesting.

Edit: To add to this, I know a couple of people on my course who availed of the extra lessons and passed the retest. So it's definitley worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tinshed22

Yeah you get 12 weeks to repeat it according to the guidance doc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

At the end of everyone's PCA you will receive an envelope. If you get one with a 'spine' inside it, you've passed. If you don't, you'll get one with you final retest date, some exercise guidance and a chance to attend a few group PT sessions. You can reattempt the PCA once, before the 12 weeks at any of those sessions.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/gallery/psni-move-lurgan-republican-sinn-14479194

What do you guys think of this. As opposednto the normal method of of gathering evidence then sweep up offenders after the fact...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

On topic of this, seen a number of social media munters saying Dissident republicans will target officers in response to this. I know the threat is always high but make sure you’re extra viligant and don’t expose yourself.

There is usually a volley of shots fired off at that procession. I don't think a gun was recovered from anyone present on the parade today. There could very well be a gun and ammunition floating about Lurgan tonight. I hope everyone takes the necessary precautions. Lurgan has become somewhat of a bastion for dissident republicanism. You can almost guarantee retaliation against the police.

Lurgan station is known to be particularly vulnerable with regards to how officers leave the station too due to where the exit is located facing down a one-way road. It would be easier to follow officers home etc.

I personally believe the wholle take photos and video as well as signals intelligence then comong knocking in the night is more effective

I agree with challenging lawbreakers directly. However, in terms of pragmatism, I'm sure some people will argue this will hand dissidents a propaganda victory and feed into their victim complex. No one knows what information the Chief Inspector had. It's hard to get a full sense of the whole picture, especially why they changed tactics.

Maxi515 wrote: »
    I agree with challenging lawbreakers directly. However, in terms of pragmatism, I'm sure some people will argue this will hand dissidents a propaganda victory and feed into their victim complex. No one knows what information the Chief Inspector had. It's hard to get a full sense of the whole picture, especially why they changed tactics.

Aye it looks messy

Edit

Has it all kicked off in Lurgan in response?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

32 days to go...not that I'm counting or anything lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheBigLight

The one show this evening had a quick segment on the PCA - can catch it on BBC player. It's at the end of the show.

They got the time wrong twice lol. It has to be finished in 3.54 not 3.45

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Just watched it on BBC player. I'm not being unkind but the presenter said she was a 40 something mother of two who didn't do alot of exercise. And she still managed to do it in 4.01... 7 seconds of the pass mark...so surely anyone with a bit of fitness will blast through it.

I don't think its something we should worry about especially if we do a little bit of training before hand.

Although saying that I won't be doing it this year after my A/C lol

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

I thought the wall looked higher there than it did in the YouTube video. That's the bit I'm worried about!

I thought the wall looked higher there than it did in the YouTube video. That's the bit I'm worried about!
    Looks taller because some was being filmed from above by a drone.

I wonder what the distance is for a full lap of the track? If we knew we could literally have a distance + time to establish what speed we would need to be going at, whether we should pace ourselves etc.

The course is set within 20m x 10m. I'd guesstimate around 100m per lap??. But it's the stopping and changing directions which adds time.

Initial 10m straight
    5m to start of crawl
    5m from crawl to end of jump
    10m to start of stairs
    10/15 from start of stairs plus beam to wall
    10/15m for cones
    5m to start of kb lift and walk,plus 5 for it.
    5m to bagdrag plus 5 for it.
    30m sprint to end.

Just an estimate.

NiK9 wrote: »
    The course is set within 20m x 10m. I'd guesstimate around 100m per lap??. But it's the stopping and changing directions which adds time.

Initial 10m straight
    5m to start of crawl
    5m from crawl to end of jump
    10m to start of stairs
    10/15 from start of stairs plus beam to wall
    10/15m for cones
    5m to start of kb lift and walk,plus 5 for it.
    5m to bagdrag plus 5 for it.
    30m sprint to end.

Just an estimate.

Try and target a distance of 800 metres or so for 3:54 seconds to account for the time that would be spent slowing down and changing directions?

Damn it is it really too much to ask to have a practise run of this course? I mean, every other GB force does a shuttle run, people know where they're at with that. They can gauge where they need to get to, they can do 1000s of dry runs. I wouldn't even care if it was a level ten shuttle run the PSNI required, at least I could gauge my cardio ability in a meaningful way.

• Advertisement

Atleast they allow you a second chance. 1509 was the first campaign you were allowed it. Before that if you failed once you were gone.

Advertisement