Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Damn it is it really too much to ask to have a practise run of this course? I mean, every other GB force does a shuttle run, people know where they're at with that. They can gauge where they need to get to, they can do 1000s of dry runs. I wouldn't even care if it was a level ten shuttle run the PSNI required, at least I could gauge my cardio ability in a meaningful way.

Aim for level 11 on a bleep test that should get you VO2 max up to scratch

20m bleep test that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

A gym I used to train at years ago used to run a bleep test every sat morning. It was great because you could do it once or twice a month just to see how your training was coming on. But gyms never seem to do it because it isn't exciting/popular enough to have to pay a staff member to supervise it.

The constant turning and the fact that you will be blowing out you arse will help with the changing directions and the transitions.

I reckon over half of those who fail PCA is because they give up mentally before physically. Bleep test is very good at training your mind to switch off from the discomfort.

I'd say 90% of you are all physically capable of doing the PCA right now. Failure is all in your head.

You want to train hard enough that the PCA is passed comfortably.

Train hard work easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Haha, level 11. That's some craic. Scrapping an 8.4 at best. Need to up the ante here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Haha, level 11. That's some craic. Scrapping an 8.4 at best. Need to up the ante here.
    When i was in GV there was an Inspector who did our PT with us (just cause he fancied it!). Whenever we did the bleep test he would say that anyone who dropped out before him would go on a disciplinary. Funnily enough, no one dropped before he did and everyone made atleast level 9 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

Maybe we will be in the same familiarisation class maxi :) has anyone actually done the pca yet?

Lily79 wrote: »
    Maybe we will be in the same familiarisation class maxi :) has anyone actually done the pca yet?
    I look forward to it! :) I can't access my personal email from work. We received our fast track email on the same day. Are we supposed to have received a PCA email this morning?

majgreen wrote: »
    When i was in GV there was an Inspector who did our PT with us (just cause he fancied it!). Whenever we did the bleep test he would say that anyone who dropped out before him would go on a disciplinary. Funnily enough, no one dropped before he did and everyone made atleast level 9 lol
    I think that's half the battle in the gym. It's easy to dig deep when someone is on your back, standing over you with a whip. Going to the gym is fine, staying in the gym for longer than an hour requires the discipline haha.

• Advertisement

I look forward to it! :) I can't access my personal email from work. We received our fast track email on the same day. Are we supposed to have received a PCA email this morning?

I haven't received anything this morning, although so far it seems emails come quite late in the day!

I haven't received anything this morning, although so far it seems emails come quite late in the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rossco22

NiK9 wrote: »
    They got the time wrong twice lol. It has to be finished in 3.54 not 3.45

I was starting to panic watching that last night incase it was a typo on the website, and we actually did have to complete it in 3.45! I hope they were just wrong on the show.
    But you would like to think you could do it at the very least 7 seconds faster than that woman, so it gave me some hope watching that!

Yeah, finally raced home to grab my phone and check emails and nothing! Oh well. Missing lunch won't kill me. It might actually shave a few seconds off my time lol.

Seen a wee bargain for anyone who is finding it hard to find time to train or has young kids so cant just leave them to go for a run/to the gym.

Tesco are selling proper spin bikes for £115. Great for doing some low intensity cardio, or to do some HIIT sprints. All while watching your favourite tv show at home lol.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/jll-ic200-indoor-cycling-exercise-bike-red/610-5187.prd?pageLevel=sku&source=awin&awc=7090_1522780846_226dde7e6bac02bde32e1a84e871e3fd&sc_cmp=aff*awin*gmo*Reevoo_73985&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=awin&utm_campaign=Reevoo&utm_content=Comparison+Engine&utm_keyword=73985&dclid=CM7T09vgntoCFVYUGwod7B4OcA

Seen a wee bargain for anyone who is finding it hard to find time to train or has young kids so cant just leave them to go for a run/to the gym.

Tesco are selling proper spin bikes for £115. Great for doing some low intensity cardio, or to do some HIIT sprints. All while watching your favourite tv show at home lol.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/jll-ic200-indoor-cycling-exercise-bike-red/610-5187.prd?pageLevel=sku&source=awin&awc=7090_1522780846_226dde7e6bac02bde32e1a84e871e3fd&sc_cmp=aff*awin*gmo*Reevoo_73985&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=awin&utm_campaign=Reevoo&utm_content=Comparison+Engine&utm_keyword=73985&dclid=CM7T09vgntoCFVYUGwod7B4OcA

If you can concentrate on TV when on the bike you aren't peddling hard enough :P

Did you get an email this morning maxi?

You silly servants were off Mon and Tues so no emails were coming until today 😂

Did you get an email this morning maxi?

I did! I’m not in the country though. Didn’t foresee anything happening before 4th of May. I cleared my diary for everything afterward. I’ve been offered an alternative date more or less straight after... these things happen I suppose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Hello everyone,

I am new to the site, I have literally just discovered this forum.

So I give the 17/10 recruitment a go this year and I just about passed the IST with 34 out of 44.

I then had my AC on 28th March. I think I did reasonably good in the role plays but I messed up the written exercise. I don’t think I can go into detail because like all of us we arnt to speak about any stage of the application process. I was gutted about that the written exercise. I wish I had of research more about this application process as I have also discovered a Facebook page.

This Facebook page, the guys do exercises to prepare you for the IST and AC stages. I discovered them on 25th March and it was too late for them to help me :-(

Anyway I am waiting patiently here like most of you on the results in May. I would love to progress this time around but if I don’t I be more than ready for the next recruitment drive.

I just want to wish you all the best of luck in this recruitment drive.

• Advertisement

Hey Nap welcome to the group. And best of luck in your results.

You should edit the name of them out of your post though, as you arnt allowed to advertise training companies on the threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Nap702

Hey Nap welcome to the group. And best of luck in your results.

You should edit the name of them out of your post though, as you arnt allowed to advertise training companies on the threads.

Sorted 😊

Good job :)

Not long to wait now for results for everyone. 30 days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

Did my assessment centre recently, got nervous as all hell and messed quite a few things up but you never know with these things. I'm guessing the people that got 85-90 or above are the ones being called in right now to move forward with the process?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Ponif

oops doublepost

Nap702 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am new to the site, I have literally just discovered this forum.

So I give the 17/10 recruitment a go this year and I just about passed the IST with 34 out of 44.

I then had my AC on 28th March. I think I did reasonably good in the role plays but I messed up the written exercise. I don’t think I can go into detail because like all of us we arnt to speak about any stage of the application process. I was gutted about that the written exercise. I wish I had of research more about this application process as I have also discovered a Facebook page.

This Facebook page, the guys do exercises to prepare you for the IST and AC stages. I discovered them on 25th March and it was too late for them to help me :-(

Anyway I am waiting patiently here like most of you on the results in May. I would love to progress this time around but if I don’t I be more than ready for the next recruitment drive.

I just want to wish you all the best of luck in this recruitment drive.

This is just my personal opinion but there are boardies here who have spent the money on assessment centre coaching and they've never passed an AC. I've been called forward and I never spent the money. I've made my personal view's known previously, I really don't see the merit in paying someone to advise you on a process they know nothing more about than you. All the resources and guidance are available on these pages and online. The best preparation is the experience of going to an AC first of all. If you aren't lucky in this campaign, who knows, it could be the perfect prep for the next. Again, that's just my personal opinion

Good luck for May.

Ponif wrote: »
    Did my assessment centre recently, got nervous as all hell and messed quite a few things up but you never know with these things. I'm guessing the people that got 85-90 or above are the ones being called in right now to move forward with the process?

We don't know what the set mark is.... I would be shocked if I got 85 +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

1509 had 14 candidates above 80% and 155 above 70%.

Nik9 counted around 50 give or take the no shows etc at his pca familiarisation (First batch of emails) and i'd say a similar amount will have been in the second batch.

Going by 1509s numbers we could say roughly those roughly in the mid 70s plus have been contacted so far.

If it works for you it works for you if it doesn't it doesn't. Reference tutors.

Aslong as it gets you through those gates does it really matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 ldngal18

1509 had 14 candidates above 80% and 155 above 70%.

Nik9 counted around 50 give or take the no shows etc at his pca familiarisation (First batch of emails) and i'd say a similar amount will have been in the second batch.

Going by 1509s numbers we could say roughly those roughly in the mid 70s plus have been contacted so far.
    I was in the first batch of emails and agree with what you've said. I'm guessing that those contacted already may be the ones who go in the first intake for this recruitment drive but again this is just supposition.

Advertisement