Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Maxi515 wrote: »
    Stand at ease.

Stand easy.

March.

Coming to attention.

Etc.

No marching between classes.

Like i said used as a filler.

"Pass out parade preperation" i believe is the term

Moving from standing at ease to attention is quite a liberal application of the word drill. I appreciate they're basic commands but that involves little movement. I meant traditional, parade square drill of the kind utilised prior to the police scotland report.

Yes. Around the square.

"By the left quick march..." etc etc

Also reference the disarming thing, what we hear about is about 5% of the reality...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Yes. Around the square.

"By the left quick march..." etc etc

Also reference the disarming thing, what we hear about is about 5% of the reality...

Sure all being well I'll let you know before the Autumn what current practice is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭majgreen

Ponif wrote: »
    majgreen wrote: »
    No such support in response teams in Scotland. You handle every job yourself from scene attendance to court. Unless of course its something serious that CID will take on. There is also no technology whatsoever, not even sat navs.

How do you respond to incidents?? With your own sat nav or do they expect you to navigate the stars like Christopher Columbus? That's terrible man.

PSNI don't have satnavs either!
    I'm assuming they gave you the option of just using your own smartphone?

You have no other option until your local knowledge builds up

Would you say that should be a deciding factor in which district you have a preference for? Does it make that much of a difference in your day to day job?

Would you say that should be a deciding factor in which district you have a preference for? Does it make that much of a difference in your day to day job?

Not necessarily. You'll end up in the same estates more often than not so you'll learn quite quickly. It took me about 6 months to feel like I knew my patch. When I get a call nowadays, if I don't know where the street is, I'll know what general direction to head until the observer gets it on Google.

• Advertisement

Note to self: Observers should always bring USB cables for charging purposes lol.

Note to self: Observers should always bring USB cables for charging purposes lol.

You'll want a plug too for those hospital guards. I've sat at hospital for 10 hours without a break, the phone lasted about 2 hours :(

You'll want a plug too for those hospital guards. I've sat at hospital for 10 hours without a break, the phone lasted about 2 hours :(

Always bring snacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

This time last year they reduced Scotlands fitness requirment to 5.4 to be in line with Englandshire which quite literally, you could hop backwards.

One of many changes why I am looking back.

When you think about how many petty criminals have spent their lives running from the authorities as apart of their lifestyle, slow cops won't help matters. It's interesting you want back. The consensus seems to be that response in GB forces is x10 better than the response gig with the PSNI. I know many English forces have police investigations officers that follow up with statements etc? Is that the case in Scotland? If the PSNI were to adopt a similar approach I've heard it would improve morale among the rank and file.

No such support in response teams in Scotland. You handle every job yourself from scene attendance to court. Unless of course its something serious that CID will take on. There is also no technology whatsoever, not even sat navs.

My dad used to live in Scotland and I remember one day when I was visiting, getting the bus to the next town. A police officer hopped on to the bus also making his way to the next town. Certainly a very alien thing coming from here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

This time last year they reduced Scotlands fitness requirment to 5.4 to be in line with Englandshire which quite literally, you could hop backwards.

One of many changes why I am looking back.

When you think about how many petty criminals have spent their lives running from the authorities as apart of their lifestyle, slow cops won't help matters. It's interesting you want back. The consensus seems to be that response in GB forces is x10 better than the response gig with the PSNI. I know many English forces have police investigations officers that follow up with statements etc? Is that the case in Scotland? If the PSNI were to adopt a similar approach I've heard it would improve morale among the rank and file.

My dad used to live in Scotland and I remember one day when I was visiting, getting the bus to the next town. A police officer hopped on to the bus also making his way to the next town. Certainly a very alien thing coming from here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Eddie Bunco

Evening all! Just to say that I've been reading these posts with interest for a while now.

I'm due to attend a PCA familiarisation in a couple of weeks.

I look forward to meeting some of you there.

I'll be the one speaking with a foreign accent.

Keep on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭NiK9

NiK9 wrote: »
    The saying "train like your life depends on it" comes to mind.
    You never know what is around the corner and if you can't trust on your own fitness to keep you alive don't expect someone else to.
    Its also worrying how little martial arts police know.
    There is a reason most bouncers do some type of self defense sport, and that's because it is needed. Police is exactly the same.
    Most confrontations end up on the ground, so BJJ should be standard.

That's because martial arts aren't home office approved. All blocks, strikes and groundwork are home office standard, for sure you can justify using something different, but the first thing they tell you is to forget any martial arts/ufc/boxing/wwe or anything else you've learnt

Yea one of the last gov contracts I worked on we had a government assessor come in to "teach us defense". One of the exact phrases they used was "go into a corner and make yourself a smaller target" LMAO. You can probably guess how well that went down with us.
    Their reasoning was if they taught us anything more than blocks then they were liable if we injured someone. But if we were "untrained" and we used strikes to defend ourselves and injured someone our defense would be that it was natural instinct lol.

You never know what is around the corner and if you can't trust on your own fitness to keep you alive don't expect someone else to.
    There is a reason most bouncers do some type of self defense sport, and that's because it is needed. Police is exactly the same.

That's because martial arts aren't home office approved. All blocks, strikes and groundwork are home office standard, for sure you can justify using something different, but the first thing they tell you is to forget any martial arts/ufc/boxing/wwe or anything else you've learnt

Yea one of the last gov contracts I worked on we had a government assessor come in to "teach us defense". One of the exact phrases they used was "go into a corner and make yourself a smaller target" LMAO. You can probably guess how well that went down with us.
    Their reasoning was if they taught us anything more than blocks then they were liable if we injured someone. But if we were "untrained" and we used strikes to defend ourselves and injured someone our defense would be that it was natural instinct lol.

You have a basic right of self defence. As long as it is justifiable and proportionate you can do ehat you like.

Someone runs at you with a stick, you can boot them in the bollocks.

One exception. If youuse Krav Maga in the street you are going to jail 😂😂😂

You have a basic right of self defence. As long as it is justifiable and proportionate you can do ehat you like.

Someone runs at you with a stick, you can boot them in the bollocks.

One exception. If youuse Krav Maga in the street you are going to jail 😂😂😂

Krav maga and Systema are the most realistic combat self defense there is. Creating as much damage to the attacker to make it impossible for them to advance towards you again.
    But using "combat techniques" might not go down well on the streets of Belfast lmao

Oh aye if i happen to have my keys in my hand when some scrote tries to jump me it'll be in all the soft parts of his face...

But then due to my low weight and slim build i prefer sambo/BJJ groundwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

As long as YOU can justify it your use of force can be anything from raising your voice right up to potentially lethal.

As long as YOU can justify it your use of force can be anything from raising your voice right up to potentially lethal.

Aye my dad says he is very fond of a few pressure points a paramedic taught him one night with a very mentally ill but dangerous individual.

Amazing the power of a human thumb...

LMAO

Maxi/Nik9

Is that bike a good buy?

A product review would be excellent

• Advertisement

5 days delivery unfortunately. Disgusted.

5 days delivery unfortunately. Disgusted.

No click and collect? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Adam West

I think getting out and doing a bit of running is the best way to approach the PCA. You can download "Couch to 5k" apps for free which are pretty handy starting out. First few sessions are just walking then gradually working up to a few short runs between the walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Couch to 5k is a great app and helps to build you up for running long distances but make sure you also work on high intensity workouts. Like many have said doing HIIT training will work wonders for the PCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

“Use of force” is a last resort. Nine times out of ten you should be fit to deescalte using things that TCI therapeutic crisis intervention techniques and other descaltion tools right down to Body language.

A lot of physical incidents can be avoided by the workers Aitutide. Far more skill in talking a situation down than stricking someone.

All this BIG lad talk is all good but if that’s what your going to resort to then think again.

I do expect to get hurt in the job, I do expect to have to defend myself but as a last resort. There is always somone Bigger and stronger than you out there who could mop the floor with you in a second. I’d choose to talk them down first.

So many times watching “the force Manchester or police interceptors I see officers throw fuel on the fire by the way they approach individuals and guess what it ends in a physical scuffle. And the officers who use rational talking first seem to have the better results.

“Use of force” is a last resort. Nine times out of ten you should be fit to deescalte using things that TCI therapeutic crisis intervention techniques and other descaltion tools right down to Body language.

A lot of physical incidents can be avoided by the workers Aitutide. Far more skill in talking a situation down than stricking someone.

All this BIG lad talk is all good but if that’s what your going to resort to then think again.

I do expect to get hurt in the job, I do expect to have to defend myself but as a last resort. There is always somone Bigger and stronger than you out there who could mop the floor with you in a second. I’d choose to talk them down first.

So many times watching “the force Manchester or police interceptors I see officers throw fuel on the fire by the way they approach individuals and guess what it ends in a physical scuffle. And the officers who use rational talking first seem to have the better results.

takodah wrote: »

Having worked with learning disabled people who had a staff to service user ratio of 5:1 I fully understand that body language is everything and physical intervention is a last resort.

In the police you can use pain compliance whilst in care pain compliance can only be used if you feel that your life is on danger.

I have worked with people who if they kicked off one on one you're simply dead.

One night we had 4 support workers and 2 peelers on an individual and they were still getting up and causing injury.

I have plenty of scars from that job, hands in particupwr scratched to bits, which I loved almost a year ago I left which is crazy.

takodah wrote: »

Having worked with learning disabled people who had a staff to service user ratio of 5:1 I fully understand that body language is everything and physical intervention is a last resort.

In the police you can use pain compliance whilst in care pain compliance can only be used if you feel that your life is on danger.

I have worked with people who if they kicked off one on one you're simply dead.

One night we had 4 support workers and 2 peelers on an individual and they were still getting up and causing injury.

I have plenty of scars from that job, hands in particupwr scratched to bits, which I loved almost a year ago I left which is crazy.[/quote

Working in learning difficulty and disability sectors can help greatly with first hand experience. And all those techniques which can help in any situation. I bet you seen it all. My partner currently works in that sector and comes home with a different story a day.
    Some homes have panic rooms etc for staff, bite guards etc great learning And exp for the police to be had there.

I’ll stick with the “we hard men of Belfast” trying to get them descalte whilst under the influence some times. Great fun but if you can do that you can do it all.
    Plus with the uniform on I bet it will be 10 times harder as that’s an instant barrier to helping or talking to some people.

I have worn bite guards that protect from my German Shepherd yet could still feel the pinch from a human bite...

• Advertisement

I have worn bite guards that protect from my German Shepherd yet could still feel the pinch from a human bite...
    Then your dog isn't biting properly lol.

Advertisement