Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSNI Recruitment 1710 Campaign

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

takodah wrote: »
    “Use of force” is a last resort. Nine times out of ten you should be fit to deescalte using things that TCI therapeutic crisis intervention techniques and other descaltion tools right down to Body language.

A lot of physical incidents can be avoided by the workers Aitutide. Far more skill in talking a situation down than stricking someone.

All this BIG lad talk is all good but if that’s what your going to resort to then think again.

I do expect to get hurt in the job, I do expect to have to defend myself but as a last resort. There is always somone Bigger and stronger than you out there who could mop the floor with you in a second. I’d choose to talk them down first.

So many times watching “the force Manchester or police interceptors I see officers throw fuel on the fire by the way they approach individuals and guess what it ends in a physical scuffle. And the officers who use rational talking first seem to have the better results.

Having worked with learning disabled people who had a staff to service user ratio of 5:1 I fully understand that body language is everything and physical intervention is a last resort.

In the police you can use pain compliance whilst in care pain compliance can only be used if you feel that your life is on danger.

I have worked with people who if they kicked off one on one you're simply dead.

One night we had 4 support workers and 2 peelers on an individual and they were still getting up and causing injury.

I have plenty of scars from that job, hands in particupwr scratched to bits, which I loved almost a year ago I left which is crazy.

I don’t mean to nit pick but they’re not “learning disabled people” rather they’re people with a learning disability. There is a world of difference between the two. Work provided us with some diversity training and that was one of the big insights for me. A lot of people with a disability don’t want to be defined on the basis of that disability. Rather, they’re people who just happen to have a disability. Language is important, especially when certain people find it disempowering and potentially condescending to the public.

In terms of the use of language in a policing context, you might find this useful.

https://www.psni.police.uk/globalassets/advice--information/our-publications/policies-and-service-procedures/guide_to_appropriate_language__full__2013.pdf

In terms of the use of force, my friend, a constable in the North coast was verbally reprimanded by his Sergeant for using CS spray during a violent incident removing a suspect from a train. The young constable said he could fully justify use of force because he felt a threat to his life. He was told, however, that CS was never regularly used in that district in the past and they had no intentions of starting it now. According to the Sergeant, who said he only had drawn his baton twice in 20 years almost everything can be de-escalated. I’m not sure if I have used that anecdote before but it’s relevent here too in terms of what’s being discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭takodah

I have worn bite guards that protect from my German Shepherd yet could still feel the pinch from a human bite...

Madness!
    Tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full apparently. Got to delete some messages bant lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Maxi515 wrote: »
    “Use of force” is a last resort. Nine times out of ten you should be fit to deescalte using things that TCI therapeutic crisis intervention techniques and other descaltion tools right down to Body language.

A lot of physical incidents can be avoided by the workers Aitutide. Far more skill in talking a situation down than stricking someone.

All this BIG lad talk is all good but if that’s what your going to resort to then think again.

I do expect to get hurt in the job, I do expect to have to defend myself but as a last resort. There is always somone Bigger and stronger than you out there who could mop the floor with you in a second. I’d choose to talk them down first.

So many times watching “the force Manchester or police interceptors I see officers throw fuel on the fire by the way they approach individuals and guess what it ends in a physical scuffle. And the officers who use rational talking first seem to have the better results.

Having worked with learning disabled people who had a staff to service user ratio of 5:1 I fully understand that body language is everything and physical intervention is a last resort.

In the police you can use pain compliance whilst in care pain compliance can only be used if you feel that your life is on danger.

One night we had 4 support workers and 2 peelers on an individual and they were still getting up and causing injury.

I have plenty of scars from that job, hands in particupwr scratched to bits, which I loved almost a year ago I left which is crazy.

I don’t mean to nit pick but they’re not “learning disabled people” rather they’re people with a learning disability. There is a world of difference between the two. Work provided us with some diversity training and that was one of the big insights for me. A lot of people with a disability don’t want to be defined on the basis of that disability. Rather, they’re people who just happen to have a disability. Language is important, especially when certain people find it disempowering and potentially condescending to the public.

In terms of the use of language in a policing context, you might find this useful.

https://www.psni.police.uk/globalassets/advice--information/our-publications/policies-and-service-procedures/guide_to_appropriate_language__full__2013.pdf

In terms of the use of force, my friend, a constable in the North coast was verbally reprimanded by his Sergeant for using CS spray during a violent incident removing a suspect from a train. The young constable said he could fully justify use of force because he felt a threat to his life. He was told, however, that CS was never regularly used in that district in the past and they had no intentions of starting it now. According to the Sergeant, who said he only had drawn his baton twice in 20 years almost everything can be de-escalated. I’m not sure if I have used that anecdote before but it’s relevent here too in terms of what’s being discussed.

Nit pick all you want.

But being the brother of a severely learning disabled young woman I take no offence to the term. Neither do my parents, siblings or other family members.

The R word is offensive
    The staring is annoying but forgivable
    Saying handicapped is offensive.

Until you have lived with it for over two decades please don't make such ridiculous holier than thou statements.

Great insight there. “Only drawn his baton twice in 20years “ That’s a lethal weapon chief comment right there if I ever heard one lol. That’s the way I hope it to be when policing.

Madness!
    Tried to reply to your PM but your inbox is full apparently. Got to delete some messages bant lol

Send when ready

• Advertisement

NiK9 wrote: »
    I have worn bite guards that protect from my German Shepherd yet could still feel the pinch from a human bite...
    Then your dog isn't biting properly lol.

Nah the individual doing the biting feels no pain, has bit so hard they have lost teeth. Also watched them smash up a car woth their forehead.

Great insight there. “Only drawn his baton twice in 20years “ That’s a lethal weapon chief comment right there if I ever heard one lol. That’s the way I hope it to be when policing.

I appreciate though that the North Coast, similar to say Ards/Bangor is a very normalised policing environment. He's described the policing environment there as very routine, broken up with the odd, rare moment of excitement every blue moon. The good thing though is people appreciate you and respect you. Policing is very much a part of and within that community. Wearing flackers etc is completely optional (but you do have fewer ways to carry equipment lol). Hoping for something similar.

I appreciate though that the North Coast, similar to say Ards/Bangor is a very normalised policing environment. He's described the policing environment there as very routine, broken up with the odd, rare moment of excitement every blue moon. The good thing though is people appreciate you and respect you. Policing is very much a part of and within that community. Wearing flackers etc is completely optional (but you do have fewer ways to carry equipment lol). Hoping for something similar.

Aye my partner (if I’m successful ) prays I get into north down and ards even tho Belfast and Armagh are my first choices. Was travelling down that district the other day and seen a minor RTC. I kid you not: 2 response units, a dog unit, the big van and another undercover (maybe TSG) unit at the scene. Must have been a slow day for the lot lol

I wouldn't down play the threat from loyalists though, some pretty grim murders in the district.

Not to mention massive drug problems

Having had a family member work in Ards and North Down, they were never not busy 🀔

• Advertisement

Nit pick all you want.

But being the brother of a severely learning disabled young woman I take no offence to the term. Neither do my parents, siblings or other family members.

The R word is offensive

Until you have lived with it for over two decades please don't make such ridiculous holier than thou statements.

We all have our crosses to bare Banter. I don't need to be directly related to someone who lives with xyz disability to know how to address someone properly. But listen, you're the one that wants to be a cop. I'm the one telling you that on the ground, certain language isn't acceptable. You or your family don't get to decide what is acceptable for the rest of us. The police spent a large amount of time and effort engaging special interest groups to put that document together. Just give it a read maybe instead of thinking you always know better. I said I wasn't nitpicking, for people it is genuinely disempowering.

If I said had a wooden leg Banterbus you would tell me you had two, if I had a boil on my arse, you'd know someone who had three... What do you expect to gain from policing when you're the man who has done it all and knows it all?

I share the experience here and insights with others, give examples, stories in my limited experience, but no matter what, you always know someone more qualified, people better informed or a greater number of people affected. I don't even think you do it on purpose. You've always got your uncles, cousins brother's best mate, twice removed who has done it or knows better and then you end up red-faced when your information is revealed to be BS. It's like, subconsciously somehow you can't help get involved with one-upmanship to make yourself relevant. You don't need to try so hard man.

Having had a family member work in Ards and North Down, they were never not busy ��

There we go. Yet another example. An 'I know someone' for every occasion lol. I'd love to rent you out for a dinner party/come dine with me episode.

Nit pick all you want.

The R word is offensive

We all have our crosses to bare Banter. I don't need to be directly related to someone who lives with xyz disability to know how to address someone properly. But listen, you're the one that wants to be a cop. I'm the one telling you that on the ground, certain language isn't acceptable. You or your family don't get to decide what is acceptable for the rest of us. The police spent a large amount of time and effort engaging special interest groups to put that document together. Just give it a read maybe instead of thinking you always know better. I said I wasn't nitpicking, for people it is genuinely disempowering.

If I said had a wooden leg Banterbus you would tell me you had two, if I had a boil on my arse, you'd know someone who had three... What do you expect to gain from policing when you're the man who has done it all and knows it all?

I share the experience here and insights with others, give examples, stories in my limited experience, but no matter what, you always know someone more qualified, people better informed or a greater number of people affected. I don't even think you do it on purpose. You've always got your uncles, cousins brother's best mate, twice removed who has done it or knows better and then you end up red-faced when your information is revealed to be BS. It's like, subconsciously somehow you can't help get involved with one-upmanship to make yourself relevant. You don't need to try so hard man.

Not sure why you always have to go personal?

I want to be a police officer for one very simple reason, to help people.

The money, the badge, the unifrom is secondary.

We all get a very limited time on this earth, I just want to help people.

Maxi your God complex is actually quite sad. You remind me of a very likeable character from Good Will Hunting...

Not sure why you always have to go personal?

Don't internalise it, man. I'm addressing your behaviour. Not you as a person. Linked you to a police document and you went on the offensive. I provided job-related advice, constructively. Now you're aware of what you where saying, you can do something about it. Then you started on the 'holier than thou' etc etc **** and I thought that owed an explanation. Now you have one.

Aye my partner (if I’m successful ) prays I get into north down and ards even tho Belfast and Armagh are my first choices. Was travelling down that district the other day and seen a minor RTC. I kid you not: 2 response units, a dog unit, the big van and another undercover (maybe TSG) unit at the scene. Must have been a slow day for the lot lol

If that's what you want, totally. You won't get quiter. They're sitting around waiting for something to happen. I think resources are thin everywhere but quieter districts you're more likely to have your break uninterpreted etc. I suppose they've their own issues and problems.... Theres something to be said for the likes of the Lisburn road etc where it is pretty non stop I response and you've more to follow up on.

If that's what you want, totally. You won't get quiter. They're sitting around waiting for something to happen. I think resources are thin everywhere but quieter districts you're more likely to have your break uninterpreted etc. I suppose they've their own issues and problems.... Theres something to be said for the likes of the Lisburn road etc where it is pretty non stop I response and you've more to follow up on.

Pot kettle black?

Pot kettle black?

Lisburn road is the busiest response station in Northern Ireland. Violent crime and the dissident republican threat are lower in Ards, the North coast etc. This is objective information discussed here at length and confirmed by other serving users, like Majgreen only last week or so right here. Go through her comments. It isn't made up fantasy land banterbus nonsense who knows someone in every government department, special forces, police district, police staff, learning disabilities, social work the fitness industry, ninja paramedics, nutrition, martial arts, veterinary science, 'MOD Vetting cells' I could go on... but let's not. It's too painful. Just, I've drawn your awareness to it. Now you can fix it.

Ok wee man. Spend time getting fit more being the big man on the internet? I know what i would be doing...

Ok wee man. Spend time getting fit more being the big man on the internet? I know what i would be doing...

You would be doing cartwheels up and down the centre aisle of this bus trying to impress as many people as you can with your bull**** party tricks, wouldn't you?

• Advertisement

Sad.

The amount of times i have told you that I love to wind you up and you just walk straight into it each and every time.

Go for a run mate, do you more benefit

The amount of times i have told you that I love to wind you up and you just walk straight into it each and every time.

Go for a run mate, do you more benefit

Never you mind about my fitness schedule. I will pass, first time around. You just focus on yourself and the next IST. Maybe when you get to a stage where you've passed it you can start dishing out the PT info. You're in absolutely no position to advise anyone on the selection process - even though you try to. I'll light a candle for you. You'll need it.

PT is the one thing that wont be an issue for me nor a medical...

You've no issues in 1710 mate because you aren't in it. All this ****e because I told you best practise for police was to refer to people with dignity as "people with learning disabilities". It was constructive and you've escalated it to this. You're a clown mate. An absolute clown, a proven bull****ter here, a Walter Mitty character and clearly a future liability for the police. Long may the process filter people like you out. The permanent solution to this issue is to put you on an ignore list. Matter resolved. Now everyone can move on.

Now that the tantrum is finished. People can tune back in.

You've no issues in 1710 mate because you aren't in it. All this ****e because I told you best practise for police was to refer to people with dignity as "people with learning disabilities". It was constructive and you've escalated it to this. You're a clown mate. An absolute clown, a proven bull****ter here, a Walter Mitty character and clearly a future liability for the police. Long may the process filter people like you out. The permanent solution to this issue is to put you on an ignore list. Matter resolved. Now everyone can move on.

Neither you or I is a police officer yet so the best practice isn't really relevant just you inserting yourself into a discussion as per usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Robocop2k16

Swear I'm signing my missus up to this. More drama here than corrie at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Lily79

It's quite clear that you two are never going to get along and banterbus you've said more than once that you almost go out of your way to annoy maxi but there's a lot of people here that also have to read it and it's getting a bit old now. We should all be here to support each other and give relevant advice.

• Advertisement

Lily79 wrote: »
    It's quite clear that you two are never going to get along and banterbus you've said more than once that you almost go out of your way to annoy maxi but there's a lot of people here that also have to read it and it's getting a bit old now. We should all be here to support each other and give relevant advice.

Can't help it, but someone telling me what i should or should not say about something that close to my heart, O will speak up. Sorry but his comment was no relevant to what was beimg discussed and was a clear attempt to antagonise.

Advertisement