Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ORRO "gravel" bike..

Options
  • 29-11-2017 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

Anybody have one to give me a bit of feedback?
    Terra version....I havent picked Alu or Carbon as of yet
    I am looking at replacing the winter steed as it has seen better days...
    The fact I can off road with it while keeping to road gearing is appealing for now.
    Cheers anyone..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I don't know the brand but I'd go for alu... one wonky slip while carrying it over a gate and you may squish a carbon tube. Or a free floating toolbox on the back of your pickup... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Alek wrote: »
    I don't know the brand but I'd go for alu... one wonky slip while carrying it over a gate and you may squish a carbon tube. Or a free floating toolbox on the back of your pickup... ;)

You know me :D
    Im leaning towards the alu version.
    Genisis is on the shortlist too....(not sure what model I seen)
    Just have to see where I can hammer out the best deal....

Link to Orro machines...
    https://www.orrobikes.com/bikes/adventure

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If it’s going to be abused in any way then go for alloy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I just bought a carbon planet x xls. I figured carbon would be fine off road sure don't they use it for mtbs n all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I just bought a carbon planet x xls. I figured carbon would be fine off road sure don't they use it for mtbs n all?

They sure do, and even for Downhill Racing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dzEJH8H7BI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd buy the lighter and therefore better(!) carbon :)

Lovely bikes though the Orros.

If it’s going to be abused in any way then go for alloy.

Its going to be ridden not abused :D

Alek wrote: »

5 year warranty on the carbon frame(due to manufacturing defects no doubt)...reinforced in specific places as opposed to ordinary CF road bikes......
    Where specifically I dont know to be honest down tube looks bigger to be fair:confused:
    I have the mountain bike for all other off roading excursions.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

I have had the Alloy version with the Hydraulic Discs rather than the cable versions, I wanted the anodised version but last year that was only available with cable disc brakes.
    The good - It is a lovely bike on the road, very comfortable and pretty light, I think I weighed it with 2 bottle cages and pedals at 9.2kg. On rolling or flat spins I am often faster than on my good road bike, With the discs really confidence inspiring on rough or loose descents like back of Mahon falls. I've also taken it over a fair few forestry tracks and canal paths. It will take a rack and full mudguards and some of the finishing kit from 3T is good quality - bars, stem and seatpost. 
    The bad - press fit bottom bracket, first one lasted 3 weeks, replaced by Orro, the second one lasted 6 months. After that I lost patience and fitted an FSA sleeve adaptor and a standard threaded  HT11 Ultegra - total price less than £20 from Ribble. The clearance on the Alloy bike is supposed to allow 35mm tyres to be fitted. 

I purchased a pair of Schwalbe G-One 35mm. Rear was fine but front was rubbing, a slick 35mm would fit. I bought a spare set of wheels from Hunt and when I know I am riding it mainly off road or don't need mudguards I run the G-One on rear and 33mm X-One on the front. 

It all depends on what you want to use the bike for, if you are interested in using off road the Carbon version has much more clearance - 42mm I think. I might change the fork at some stage on the Alloy. That said I use along canal most days with 30mm G-One Speeds and mudguards and its pretty comfy. Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

El Vino wrote: »
    I have had the Alloy version with the Hydraulic Discs rather than the cable versions, I wanted the anodised version but last year that was only available with cable disc brakes.
    The good - It is a lovely bike on the road, very comfortable and pretty light, I think I weighed it with 2 bottle cages and pedals at 9.2kg. On rolling or flat spins I am often faster than on my good road bike, With the discs really confidence inspiring on rough or loose descents like back of Mahon falls. I've also taken it over a fair few forestry tracks and canal paths. It will take a rack and full mudguards and some of the finishing kit from 3T is good quality - bars, stem and seatpost. 
    The bad - press fit bottom bracket, first one lasted 3 weeks, replaced by Orro, the second one lasted 6 months. After that I lost patience and fitted an FSA sleeve adaptor and a standard threaded  HT11 Ultegra - total price less than £20 from Ribble. The clearance on the Alloy bike is supposed to allow 35mm tyres to be fitted.

I purchased a pair of Schwalbe G-One 35mm. Rear was fine but front was rubbing, a slick 35mm would fit. I bought a spare set of wheels from Hunt and when I know I am riding it mainly off road or don't need mudguards I run the G-One on rear and 33mm X-One on the front. 

It all depends on what you want to use the bike for, if you are interested in using off road the Carbon version has much more clearance - 42mm I think. I might change the fork at some stage on the Alloy. That said I use along canal most days with 30mm G-One Speeds and mudguards and its pretty comfy. Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

Great El Vino just want to hear it from someone who has one...
    I need a new winter bike and very tempted to do some forest trails with the CX men (no racing this year) so instead of buying a plain old road bike this could be the crossover job..

• Advertisement
Advertisement