Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on older cars and insurance.

Options
  • 29-11-2017 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hello, have returned home after being abroad for a year. Looking to get back on the road again, have 10 years no claims (same with the missus) and was paying about 400 last year before i left. Can i expect really high quotes this time around? Looking at 04 05 cars approx.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭flanaganred

I'm sure your NCB is valid for up to 2 years before you lose it.So that will help

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Likely to be nearer €700-€800.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

cheers folks, not too bad i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Read the "Insurance for >15 year old cars" thread, it will give you companies and quotes that other people got. It should be applicable to 12 old cars too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭flatty

I have a couple of old "classic" cars. One is an old convertible which I really should sell, but can't bring myself to. It's slowly but steadily appreciating in theory in any case, but I only did a couple of hundred miles in it last year. The insurance was up for renewal and I asked if they did a summer only policy. They didn't, but offered a no drive policy for 200.
    It is in a locked garage in a locked compound, so I declined it, and went online looking for a summer only policy. I was directed to a company, phoned them, and explained the situation. They offered me a discount of a third on my current premium. I said it was still too expensive and I was going to declare the car off the road. I wasn't haggling, I was just saying what I intended. They then dropped the quote to half my current premium, which I accepted. I contacted my own insurance company and told them I wasn't reinsuring with them, and told them exactly why, without mentioning figures, just that the car is very rarely driven and I'd been given a quote elsewhere which was as much as I was prepared to pay before declaring it off road.
    They immediately came back with an offer exactly matching the other quote. These companies obviously can access your information easily enough.
    It may be worth haggling but, in truth, I wasn't at any stage haggling, just genuinely looking g for a quote which wouldn't irk me, otherwise I was going to take it off the road at least til summer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement