Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pub reopening beside me...what can i do

Options
  • 29-11-2017 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hey folks any advice appreciated...just got a shock.

Living in current rental accommodation for a year. Love it and just signed up for another year. Normally I am out of my accommodation from 7am - 7pm but today I came back around 5pm and noticed the pub next door to me being renovated. Quick google search and it is reopening on Saturday. I'm in shock and very worried. The place I live is very quiet so very concerned about noise.

The pub has been closed for over 2 years.

Besides moving is there anything I can do. They have music on Saturday night and Sunday advertised.

Any experiences welcome. It is a quiet area ...not a trendy part of town at all so just shocked they will even get business.

Noise is my biggest concern. Basically not being able to sleep every night. Am I overreacting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

if its just a pub it'll be closed by 12 on a Sunday and 1.30am on a Saturday. I'd consider that reasonable for noise. Most pubs are sound insulated pretty well so unless you have a wall joining the actual pub id say you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nicearbhaill

oh dear...my wall is adjoining. There is a business on the other side of me and I got used to that but a pub is different

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You could move.

I lived over a pub for years, you get used to it fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Your final option, if you feel you have grounds, is to object to the renewal of the licence. Mind you, you would need grounds to object. You would also need records of the noise levels. these would need to be excessive on a regular basis as 'normal' noise is to be expected from a pub during opening hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

One of the benefits of renting is being able to move reasonably easy.
    Your options are limited, stay and see how noise, disturbances work out and how intrusive they are, but you may have to put up with it for a year unless your LL allows you to break the lease.
    Or go talk to your LL now and say you don't want to take chances and you need to get out ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

cheers...I contacted my landlord and he immediately called over which was great. He said not to worry. There prob will be noise on opening night but after that it should be normal noise. I normally wear headphones for tv and movies anyway so normal noise doesnt bug me. Late night discos would. The new pub owner made contact with my LL and the other businesses nearby aswell.

I feel a bit better now but still worried. If it is a normal old man type pub I wish them well though. If I have to move I have to.... how to find somewhere to live in Dublin now I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On the plus side, if it does food, it may become your new Sunday haunt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

pub reopening beside me...what can i do

Ask if they have discount pints for residents :D

• Advertisement

funny - especially when I dont drink

I have spoken to my landlord so he is supportive. But this morning I made some contact with the council to see what they advise and what steps I have to make in the event there is an issue.

I would hate to move (forget about the deposit) it is simply trying to find somewhere is the problem.

So I have decided to fight it. Any issues I will immediately report - I am not the only person affected. Lots of apartments are nearby some with young children so I can only imagine how they feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

funny - especially when I dont drink

I have spoken to my landlord so he is supportive. But this morning I made some contact with the council to see what they advise and what steps I have to make in the event there is an issue.

I would hate to move (forget about the deposit) it is simply trying to find somewhere is the problem.

So I have decided to fight it. Any issues I will immediately report - I am not the only person affected. Lots of apartments are nearby some with young children so I can only imagine how they feel.

How many years has the pub been open before it closed?

The pub was there before all these apartments were built?

Provided it is no less disruptive when it reopens as it was when it closed - why would the council not allow the pub to be open?

Surely if you rented accommodation right beside a pub you must have known the risks??

nope pub has been closed for years - double checked last night and pub has been closed for 5 years actually. Pub was there the same time as the apartments. Dont know how long the pub was originally open for.

I spoke with the LL and he even didnt expect it to reopen and fully expects it not to last. Not being pessimistic but there wouldnt be the demand in the area. There isnt even the footfall.

I didnt expect it to reopen ...noone did. I have no issue if it is quiet but bands playing every night of the week would not be acceptable. Just because I'm a tenant doesnt mean I dont deserve somewhere quiet to live

If a pub opened beside a house I owned I would have the same concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where's the pub? Not relevant to the thread but I keep track of Dublin openings/closings. Actually if it is in Dublin I may be able to tell you how long it was open for.

The pub will have got planning permission etc originally so your only avenues are noise complaints or issues like smoking areas being complaint really

oh no Im not saying on here. But yeah noise complaints and smoking and any after hours drinking. Anything like that. Dont see how long it was previously open was relevant. I could be living there 20 years and a pub opens beside me. Still a major concern.

oh no Im not saying on here. But yeah noise complaints and smoking and any after hours drinking. Anything like that. Dont see how long it was previously open was relevant. I could be living there 20 years and a pub opens beside me. Still a major concern.

Its relevant in terms of planning compliance for one thing. Also, if you've got a pub that traded for a decent period of time before closing it's easy for them to argue that you should have been aware that the pub was there

If the previous time it was open it had late licences and bands playing there'd be an expectation from the new operator that they could do it again, and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,088 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Conway's of Parnell Street, yes?

Depends who's running it. If well run, you'll have no bother. If run by cowboys, different story.

Nothing you can do now, so long as it complies with planning, and as it was a well established boozer for years, it does.

If trouble does arise, it can be documented to support an objection to the renewal of the licence next time, which occurs after 10 years.....

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Conway's of Parnell Street, yes?

Depends who's running it. If well run, you'll have no bother. If run by cowboys, different story.

That's been closed for more like ten years! And was a pub for more than 100 before that.

lol...not that one..

Thanks about the compliant stuff good to know. Again I personally love old man/local pubs and I admire anyone who attempts to open a pub these days....again I dont drink myself.

I love where I live and Dublin is a nightmare for accommodation so I need to fight for where I live. There are other businesses near me...one right beside me and never a bother with that.

Dont want to come across as a massive moaner

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

He who forsees disaster suffers it twice over... Why not wait and see how it goes once it opens, then if you need to, take appropriate action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

The economy is on the up and has been for a while now. The fact a recession pub closure is re-opening shouldnt really be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I have no issue if it is quiet but bands playing every night of the week would not be acceptable. QUOTE]

Unless you live in Temple Bar you're safe enough. Bands cost money that is only justified in most places by busy weekend trade

thanks but not the most helpful

If I was an owner I would feel exactly the same but would have a greater worry about actually selling. I previously lived next door to a brothel (unknown to me for a long time) and they were very quiet so I dont think I am very picky.

I think anyone (tenant or house owner) would feel very worried about any new business opening beside them. Especially one that can have such a disruptive influence on my life.

All good to say move but this is Dublin...not that easy. For any homeowners who think I am cranky how about I pull up outside your house and play music and smoke in your garden all night long every night.

I have to put up some fight or I will simply end up homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

For any homeowners who think I am cranky how about I pull up outside your house and play music and smoke in your garden all night long every night.

Well, I wouldn't have moved next door to a pub! You are coming across as cranky, literally nothing has happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

Not being pessimistic...

You're the definition of pessimistic. The place hasn't opened and you're already talking about fighting for your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

thanks but not the most helpful

If I was an owner I would feel exactly the same but would have a greater worry about actually selling. I previously lived next door to a brothel (unknown to me for a long time) and they were very quiet so I dont think I am very picky.

I think anyone (tenant or house owner) would feel very worried about any new business opening beside them. Especially one that can have such a disruptive influence on my life.

All good to say move but this is Dublin...not that easy. For any homeowners who think I am cranky how about I pull up outside your house and play music and smoke in your garden all night long every night.

I have to put up some fight or I will simply end up homeless.

It seems like you have already decided this is going to be a huge drama before anything has even happened. To suggest you may become homeless as a direct result of a nearby business being renovated is quite the jump.

There is a pub at the end of my back garden. I've probably heard noise twice in 18 months; if the pub is well run you shouldn't have any problems. Very few pubs have music blaring at night - live music costs too much, and most people go to "traditional" pubs for a quiet drink.

Regardless, I don't think there is anything you can do for now. Licenses are granted under certain conditions, so all you can do it monitor things, and gather evidence for a complaint if the conditions aren't being met.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

nope pub has been closed for years - double checked last night and pub has been closed for 5 years actually. Pub was there the same time as the apartments. Dont know how long the pub was originally open for.

If the pub was allowed then alongside the apartments and residential blocks, then what makes you think it shouldn't be now?

I.e. What new grounds are you arguing on?

ok thanks for the replies but pessimism comes from experience. The argument would be noise. The new owners are not the same owners as before.

I have already made contact with the council, LL and the owners....and there is music already advertised for the first night.

No more replies required

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Maybe it'll be a 24 hour karaoke bar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You can certainly complain to the Guards if there's noise pollution but I wouldn't hold my breath about them doing anything

Because the gardai have no authority when it comes to noise pollution. You’re into environmental issues there.

Advertisement