Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pub reopening beside me...what can i do

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The big problem will be the shouting, roaring, urination, defecation and copulation that might occur outside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    The big problem will be the shouting, roaring, urination, defecation and copulation that might occur outside.

That's what I thought this thread would be about. Pub noise would be the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Id say give it 2 weeks. the first weekend it's open will probably be busy because people will be curious but after that it will get quieter. If you and your landlord don't think it's viable then maybe it won't last. Id say the main problem will be noise from people outside on the street after closing but give it a few weeks, it might be fine.

Also I doubt your landlord will be bending over backwards to help you out here. There isn't a lot he can do and since you're in Dublin it's not like he'll have trouble filling the place if you move out so I can't see him being too bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

nope pub has been closed for years - double checked last night and pub has been closed for 5 years actually. Pub was there the same time as the apartments. Dont know how long the pub was originally open for.

I spoke with the LL and he even didnt expect it to reopen and fully expects it not to last. Not being pessimistic but there wouldnt be the demand in the area. There isnt even the footfall.

I didnt expect it to reopen ...noone did. I have no issue if it is quiet but bands playing every night of the week would not be acceptable. Just because I'm a tenant doesnt mean I dont deserve somewhere quiet to live

If a pub opened beside a house I owned I would have the same concerns.

Its not as if its a building being converted to its use as a pub or a new build, it was there when you moved in, in plain sight. Whether anyone did or didn't expect it to reopen is beside the fact, it was there there and so was the chance of it reopening.
    I know a pub which was very quiet and fell into disrepair, owner wasn't capable of doing anything decent with and it closed for a while. People thought it would get knocked down for housing.
    Someone has now leased it off him, turned it into very busy trendy place with music nights and its doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I imagine you'd be on reduced rent living beside a pub - open or closed? And the same would apply to property prices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Be happy. There's not one within 20 mins walk of me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

You wear headphones watching tv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

ok thanks for the replies but pessimism comes from experience. The argument would be noise. The new owners are not the same owners as before.

I have already made contact with the council, LL and the owners....and there is music already advertised for the first night.

No more replies required

So you rang the council wasting somebody’s time about something that hasn’t actually happened and might never happen?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Yeah I'd never live near one again. The band might stop around 1 or whatever but the shouting will go on for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If you do move out give me a PM with your landlords details, He'll have to work out getting a door cut into that adjoining wall but Ill swap you my quiet country rental :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My nearly exhaustive knowledge of Dublin pubs has only given me one that's close ~5 years, has low passing traffic, contemporary to a block of apartments and has other businesses nearby but I can't find anything about it reopening. Take out the other businesses and there's another and again, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Coming into the christmas season too, pub be rammed for December and you might have folk doing 12 pubs.

Embrace it is what i say. Could be a lively spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

L1011 wrote: »
    My nearly exhaustive knowledge of Dublin pubs has only given me one that's close ~5 years, has low passing traffic, contemporary to a block of apartments and has other businesses nearby but I can't find anything about it reopening. Take out the other businesses and there's another and again, nothing.
    Google is bringing up nothing. I'm thinking perhaps there is no pub?

the_syco wrote: »
    Google is bringing up nothing. I'm thinking perhaps there is no pub?

There's about 50 licenced but closed pubs in all of County Dublin and maybe another 5 that are closed short enough to get their licence back; I'd know most of them and can't think of any that match this

If its even vaguely modern, lovindublin will feature it anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

L1011 wrote: »
    There's about 50 licenced but closed pubs in all of County Dublin and maybe another 5 that are closed short enough to get their licence back; I'd know most of them and can't think of any that match this

If its even vaguely modern, lovindublin will feature it anyway :pac:

Was thinking maybe the bridge inn in Chapelizod.
    But that's not helping the O.P, As already said several times, all you can really do is give it a week or two to settle, and if you can't bear it,move out. Seeing as the new pub owner has already contacted your ll, and from what you've said about LL on here, they both sound like decent folk, so hopefully you'll be able to come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I live next door to one and its grand. Its a bit too trendy to call it an old mans pub, but its certainly an older crowd in there. Never a peep out of the place Sunday-Thursday, even if they play music I hear nothing.
    Friday/Saturday there would be a bit of noise at half 12am when the place is closing, nothing too mad just the sounds of people chatting while waiting for taxis. Definitely tolerable though, and I'd be awake at that time at the weekends anyway.

My only gripe is one which you haven't even considered. The pub receives keg deliveries twice weekly. These deliveries could start any time from 5am and the noise is thunderous. Between the beeping of the big truck reversing, the thumping of the heavy keg off the ground, the noise from the chains rattling off the barrels, the chattering of the lads delivering them - its impossible to sleep through. So once/twice a week I end up rising for the day at 5am because I can't sleep through it, when I normally wouldn't have to get up till about 2 hours after that.

I would honestly prefer the noise from the last night Friday bar to the noise from the early morning keg deliveries if I could pick.

You might get lucky in that they may deliver later in the morning to you, in which case you'll have no worries.

This would be a disaster for me, I'd be be in the pub everyday if I had one so close :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mafitz

This would be a disaster for me, I'd be be in the pub everyday if I had one so close :pac:

I thought this was a wind up, a renter being shocked that a pub was reopening, holy crap was to do? How about taking a deep breath and let people run their business, if you don't like it move and get over yourself, shocked...lol

joecass123 wrote: »
    Was thinking maybe the bridge inn in Chapelizod.
    But that's not helping the O.P, As already said several times, all you can really do is give it a week or two to settle, and if you can't bear it,move out. Seeing as the new pub owner has already contacted your ll, and from what you've said about LL on here, they both sound like decent folk, so hopefully you'll be able to come to an agreement.

That has been open very recently (not for long).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Sorting bottles for recycling can be noisy too.

I can't muster up too much sympathy at the moment as nothing has happened yet. I would have say nothing to anyone before I seen how it affected me. The landlord and pub owner might take any complaints later with less consideration as they are probably expecting you to talking to them and they might play down any real annoyances that could be reduced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement