Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

devnull wrote:
    Odd happenings on early darts from bray this morning. Apparently they're running up to the platform on time and departing very late?

Mechanical fault on a DART at shankill this morning

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

thomasj wrote: »

Doesn't explain why the 5.55 and 6.15 from Bray drew up to the platform there on time but then stood there for 10+ minutes, as the 6.55 from Bray was the one that broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Shambolic delays for southbound darts supposedly somehow due to the earlier northbound mechanical fault on the other line, major overcrowding now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Shambolic delays for southbound darts supposedly somehow due to the earlier northbound mechanical fault on the other line, major overcrowding now

Not a good morning, somewhat out of their control though.

Roll on leaf-fall season......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Roll on leaf-fall season......

And 40 degree heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

So they appear to have altered every time table in the country for this.

So now my morning Sligo route now leaves 10 mins earlier (but somehow takes 10 mins longer), and evening is 15 mins later. 25 mins might not sound like a lot but to a very long daily commute it really adds up. Apparently no one told the drivers who are all super late anyway. We are now sitting on the tracks waiting 20 mins now in the arse end of nowhere because some dickhead in Connolly also left late. I will never understand why there is only one point on this whole route where these boys can cross 😕😒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

So they appear to have altered every time table in the country for this.

So now my morning Sligo route now leaves 10 mins earlier (but somehow takes 10 mins longer), and evening is 15 mins later. 25 mins might not sound like a lot but to a very long daily commute it really adds up. Apparently no one told the drivers who are all super late anyway. We are now sitting on the tracks waiting 20 mins now in the arse end of nowhere because some dickhead in Connolly also left late. I will never understand why there is only one point on this whole route where these boys can cross 😕😒

Are you been held outside Connolly? Inbound and Outbound Sligos should be going up Newcomen into/out of P7 will lessen the congestion through Connolly.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭browne_rob5

devnull wrote: »

Doesn't explain why the 5.55 and 6.15 from Bray drew up to the platform there on time but then stood there for 10+ minutes, as the 6.55 from Bray was the one that broke down.
    I was on the 6.15 from Bray and it ran on time or very close to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I was on the 6.15 from Bray and it ran on time or very close to it.

Just saying what my colleagues said who got on at Bray, maybe they were wrong but I also note that some people on twitter were also saying the same thing about earlier DARTS.

https://twitter.com/philmingo84/status/1039743189496807424

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭setanta1000

LEIN wrote: »
    Not regularly because what you are suggesting is madness. I've been on 8 car DARTs without a seat to be found leaving Greystones. It sounds like a logistical nightmare to me. It's a fairly busy service. The shuttle days are very far in the past at this stage.

Use the service at both ends of the day and see if your opinion remains the same.

I am on the DART everyday from Greystones and agree - the new service is worse; it takes longer and we loose a train in the evening. Hopefully Cllr Mitchel will have some success in his discussions with the NTA re improving frequency to Greystones for the short term but long term there needs to be a plan for improving the access and options in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I am on the DART everyday from Greystones and agree - the new service is worse; it takes longer and we loose a train in the evening.

have we lost a service in the evening? I thought the times had just changed.

loyatemu wrote: »
    have we lost a service in the evening? I thought the times had just changed.

Yes - there used to be a 18:25 ish DART from Connolly to Greystones - that's now gone afaik (according to the timetable I have looked at)- only the Rosslare train to Greystones between 18:56 and 19:57

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Are you been held outside Connolly? Inbound and Outbound Sligos should be going up Newcomen into/out of P7 will lessen the congestion through Connolly.

Didn't make it to Connolly yet. Nice driver informed us the reason we are currently driving at the pace of a light jog is because we're behind a rake of other trains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Yes - there used to be a 17:25 ish DART from Connolly to Greystones - that's now gone afaik (according to the timetable I have looked at)- only the Rosslare train to Greystones between 17:20 and 19:20

there's still a Dart every 30 mins; From connolly:

1733 (Wexford)
    (actually they've removed a Dart here alright)
    1835 (Wexford)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

1733 (Wexford)
    1835 (Wexford)

I can only assume they changed it to a Bray service to allow the Rosslare to get through past Greystones on time. Only one train allowed in that section so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Or they just divert the sligo train to terminate at Docklands instead if its quicker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

n97 mini wrote: »
    It is a town. You can walk from one end of the core (Stephen's Green) to the other (Parnell St) in 30 minutes. Most of the rest of it is vast swathes of 3-bed 2-storey houses. Very few of the suburbs have anything of attraction in their own right. Most are housing estates with a single pub (usually owned by Charlie Chawke or Louis Fitzgerald), a Chinese takeaway, a Spar etc. The exceptions are few and far between... Ranelagh, Rathmines, and a few places on the coast.

You would say the same for any other medium sized city. Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Prague, they all have highly walkable city centers (a hell of a lot more walkable then Dublin), surrounded by suburbs and little enough to do.

I worked in Prague for two months, population 3 million, I use to walk the length of the city center in about 30 minutes every night.

Those and Dublin are all still cities. Sure they aren't Paris, London, New York, but they definitely aren't towns and neither is Dublin.

1733 (Wexford)
    1835 (Wexford)

So it's certainly not an improvement in service for Greystones residents; at peak times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Infini wrote: »
    Or they just divert the sligo train to terminate at Docklands instead if its quicker.

Not likely to happen any time soon since the new timetable has most Sligo services also stopping in Drumcondra (all westbound barring 08:00, 17:10 and 18:15, and absolutely all eastbound services are timetabled for this), which precludes any such detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

cython wrote: »
    Not likely to happen any time soon since the new timetable has most Sligo services also stopping in Drumcondra (all westbound barring 08:00, 17:10 and 18:15, and absolutely all eastbound services are timetabled for this), which precludes any such detour.

What about stopping at Broombridge?
    The main problem with any rerouting is probably Mater Hospital. It is a ten minute walk from Drumcondra train station to Mater Hospital and a Ten minute walk from Broadstone tram station.

The hospital frequently provides a taxi from Drumcondra; the same could be easily done for Broombridge.

I suspect that there is some significant traffic from the 5:45 and 7:00 trains to Mater hospital but as the 5:45 would reach Broombridge a good bit before the old timetable had it at Drumcondra they aren't really making anyone late for work or hospital appointments. If the tram were held at Broombridge you would have about ten minutes to Broadstone tram stop and then ten minutes walk to Mater Hospital.

I think it takes about fifteen minutes from Broombridge to the Mater now.

Infini wrote: »
    Could they 'through ticket' the Irish rail tickets to Connolly Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

The main problem with any rerouting is probably Mater Hospital. It is a ten minute walk from Drumcondra train station to Mater Hospital and a Ten minute walk from Broadstone tram station.

The hospital frequently provides a taxi from Drumcondra; the same could be easily done for Broombridge.

I suspect that there is some significant traffic from the 5:45 and 7:00 trains to Mater hospital but as the 5:45 would reach Broombridge a good bit before the old timetable had it at Drumcondra they aren't really making anyone late for work or hospital appointments. If the tram were held at Broombridge you would have about ten minutes to Broadstone tram stop and then ten minutes walk to Mater Hospital.

To be honest, I think aside from all that, and I am open to correction on this as it's very much a case of thinking rather than knowing, but diverting trains away from Drumcondra to still arrive in Connolly would mean that they can only come in to platform 7, maybe 5/6 at a push. I don't think (looking at google maps) trains can cross from that spur to platforms 1-4, meaning that the Sligo set in turn needs to be moved to/from platform 7 as well, which would almost certainly cause unacceptable delays/bottlenecks as it crosses the DART lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Drumcondra stop on long distance services is more for DCU than the Mater. Hence the old timing including Sunday evenings for returning students

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

Adding Broombridge as an Intercity stop is complete no-brainer. I've rarely gone through it at more than a walking pace anyway so the time penalty would be minimal. I'd lay odds on that being a quicker route to Trinity and it would definitely help for DIT and anyone trying to get into the city centre proper.

The last two trains I took were 20 minutes and 18 minutes from Broombridge to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Can't believe I am saying this, our DART had to wait for 3 minutes at Gran Canal because it was running ahead of schedule!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I was in Germany this summer and took a few trains there. It was nice to see how the platforms are divided in sections (A, B, C and so on) and information displays on each platform would tell you exactly where the train would stop.

And then here... many times you're on one end of the platform and here comes a short DART...

EDIT:
    Is there any reason why (apart from financial reasons) there are no double decker trains here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Jem72 wrote: »
    Adding Broombridge as an Intercity stop is complete no-brainer. I've rarely gone through it at more than a walking pace anyway so the time penalty would be minimal. I'd lay odds on that being a quicker route to Trinity and it would definitely help for DIT and anyone trying to get into the city centre proper.

The last two trains I took were 20 minutes and 18 minutes from Broombridge to Connolly.

Also allow change to Docklands trains.

If the Drumcondra/Mater is an issue, the 120 from very close to Broombridge goes just beside the Mater and the alterations proposed for Bus Connects have the route go through Broombridge station and take quite a direct route towards the Mater. The proposed N2 route would make access to DCU fairly reasonable too I think.

(I'd love it, I commute from Broombridge, it'd add a lovely few extra trains)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Can't believe I am saying this, our DART had to wait for 3 minutes at Grand Canal because it was running ahead of schedule!
    Happens all the time to inbound Northern Suburban trains in peak time at Connolly. We can see the platforms off in the distance, and we are there 5 mins ahead of the timetabled arrival time. We will eventually pull into the platform per timetable time, but have to wait there for the arrival and passing of the late running PPT train, so will eventually leave 5 mins late (per timetable). I would say that scenario happens 90% of the time I get the Drogheda train that arrives into Connolly around 8.13am.

Advertisement