Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

thomasj wrote: »
    Unmitigated disaster on the Maynooth line this morning. M3 trains cancelled or cut short to Clonsilla, intercity trains running Maynooth commuter services and the usual morning train to bray held until the late Sligo inbound train finally passed.

People had 2 or 3 trains before they could actually get on.

How is the maynooth line for seats at clonsilla and how many carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

IR could join and split trains - either at the turn around or on the fly. They do this on other railways but not here. 'Announcement - Front four coaches going to Howth, last four going to Malahide - split occurs at Killester'

They could also keep Howth as a 30 minute service, and have four trains serving Malahide per hour.

Splitting and coupling up trains during service makes no sense
    First thing you need to get all passengers of train to split or add to a train then
    Then you will need to shunt trains on top of each other which takes time
    Then your hoping that every time you split a train or couple up that it works every time(which it doesn’t) then you could end up blocking the whole line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

One benefit of finishing work at 6 is always having a comfortable train journey home. I get a seat usually from Tara Street North bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Splitting and coupling up trains during service makes no sense
    First thing you need to get all passengers of train to split or add to a train then
    Then you will need to shunt trains on top of each other which takes time
    Then your hoping that every time you split a train or couple up that it works every time(which it doesn’t) then you could end up blocking the whole line

Seems to work seamlessly in England. Why would you need to get passengers off ? Why would you be shunting Darts? Why would the Dart not split and end up blocking the line . It got there under it's own power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Was amazed at how easy it was to get a seat on the 1732 Dart from Pearse southbound last night, don't normally get Dart home but last time I got that one it was absolutely jammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Was amazed at how easy it was to get a seat on the 1732 Dart from Pearse southbound last night, don't normally get Dart home but last time I got that one it was absolutely jammed.

the Wexford train that follows that Dart has been quiet too - I've got a seat on it every evening this week. I can only guess the increased frequency to Bray has reduced the number of Bray passengers on the diesel service. Also there used to be 14 minutes between that Dart and the diesel, and now there's only 8 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah, I'd say people are now, a few days in, getting more used to the change. Conversely the 0917 from Dalkey was a lot more busy than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Rashers72 wrote: »
    A few minutes longer might be an underestimate. Weekend journeys to Pearse now up to 40% longer due to removal of the 2 main city stations that customers want to go to. Long wait times for connecting DARTS (up to 15 mins) will push customers into their cars, when combined expensive off peak fares. Better connections or reinstatement of the 2 main stations should be corrected in any updated timetable in coming weeks.
    Finally would love to hear the latest mph of commuter trains in morning peak from Malahide to Pearse. Maybe next week when all the teething issues r sorted. It is definitely longer, but just feels very very slow.

I know it is only two stops, but what is rationale behind this?

Rail Users wanting to go from the Northside to Pearse must be a very common scenario, that they now need to swap transport for. Can it make that much of a difference for scheduling?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Phil.x wrote: »

Daughter works near Pearse and is using the train every morning. There are no seats at Leixlip Confey, never mind Clonsilla.

Going on twitter, DART users seem to be very vocal in comparison to Maynooth line users. Maybe that's because we've become accustomed to having a sub par service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Phil.x wrote: »

Absolutely not enough space to take a full M3 train. Most trains are 8 car with some 4

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

The Maynooth service has been late pretty much everyday this week in the morning rush. There are a few problems from what I've seen:

- Pushing out the the old 7:50 service that used to arrive into Pearse at 08:45 by 10 minutes. The new arrival time is 08:55 means people who start work at 9:00 are now having to get an earlier train causing increased loading.
    - Holding the Maynooth commuter back for the infamously late Sligo train.
    - Increased traffic through Connolly from Dart / Northern Commuter means idling outside Connolly waiting for a platform to clear

And this is all before the usual delays from wet leaves! There just doesn't seem to be enough capacity and once anything goes wrong it all falls to pieces.

FitzElla wrote: »
    Holding the Maynooth commuter back for the infamously late Sligo train.

If as it appears to be the case DU is at least 10 years away before even starting.We are realistically going to have to do a "Train Connects" project. Dart Expansion, 8 carriage trains on all services with a different seat configuration. Those on IC trains are going to have to transfer the capacity simply isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Portmarnock will have two additional services from next Monday.
    -07:29 Portmarnock Pearse
    -07:42 Portmarnock Bray

Clongriffin will have the following extra service:
    -07:45 Clongriffin Bray

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/timetab...tomer-feedback

I'm surprised they actually listened but its great news.

Is there a reason commuter trains don't just stop at all stations ? Are they able to pass slower Darts on the Northern line?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Is there a reason commuter trains don't just stop at all stations ? Are they able to pass slower Darts on the Northern line?

I believe that they take longer to stop and longer to start, due to them not being electric.

They're only able to pass Darts at specific points on the line, at Clongriffin is the only one I know of.

Well done on Irish Rail doing the right thing, even if they could have/should have foreseen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Surely the 07:42 Portmarnock to Bray is the same dart as the 07:45 Clongriffen to Bray?

Where are they getting the extra carriages from?!

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Surely the 07:42 Portmarnock to Bray is the same dart as the 07:45 Clongriffen to Bray?

Where are they getting the extra carriages from?!

I wonder is it actually originating at Malahide at say 07:38?

Each morning I've passed Fairview there has been loads of carriages sitting there.

*Edit: according to Twitter they are saying the 07:45 will originate at Clongriffin...how will that work? Will they not be on top of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

PCros wrote: »
    Portmarnock will have two additional services from next Monday.
    -07:29 Portmarnock Pearse
    -07:42 Portmarnock Bray

-07:45 Clongriffin Bray

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/timetab...tomer-feedback

I'm surprised they actually listened but its great news.

I would have thought the obvious solution would be to stop a few diesels at Portmarnock aswell instead of just Malahide. This solution doesn't help anyone travelling north from Portmarnock who now have something like a 40 minute wait for a connecting train in Malahide where they had a direct service before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

*Edit: according to Twitter they are saying the 07:45 will originate at Clongriffin...how will that work? Will they not be on top of each other?

One minute between darts. Doesn't sound right.

Decuc500 wrote: »
    One minute between darts. Doesn't sound right.

Unless the 07:42 is a diesel for Portmarnock and the 07:45 will be a Dart parked up off the main line at Clongriffin?

CatInABox wrote: »
    I believe that they take longer to stop and longer to start, due to them not being electric.

They're only able to pass Darts at specific points on the line, at Clongriffin is the only one I know of.

Well done on Irish Rail doing the right thing, even if they could have/should have foreseen it.

Would stopping at all stops result in the next dart catch up with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

-07:29 Portmarnock Pearse (0645 from Drogheda)
    -07:42 Portmarnock Bray (0630 from Dundalk)

-07:45 Clongriffin Bray (0630 from Dundalk)

I just see they've corrected themselves on Twitter!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail have confirmed on Twitter that it's the 06.30 Dundalk bray service that will stop at portmarnock and clongriffin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Unless the 07:42 is a diesel for Portmarnock and the 07:45 will be a Dart parked up off the main line at Clongriffin?

They're not additional services, they are existing services having extra stops added.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would that have solved yesterday's problems? The issues were with trains leaving after eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I literally have no idea what's going on with this new schedule. Heading home around five from pearse st - I've looked at the new timetable again and again and the times don't match anything that's actaully happening. Just waited 15 mins and a little four carriage dart shows up completely packed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Rush hour Malahide Dart now pulled into clongriffin for a 5 min wait to let Drogheda train pass. Why the Fock is it not scheduled to follow a Howth train!!

Advertisement