Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

GM228 wrote:
    No, the current PDF uploaded a few days ago has not changed.

It has, what they're seemed to have done is that they have bolded the actual departures to distinguish more from the connecting trains

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

thomasj wrote: »
    It has, what they're seemed to have done is that they have bolded the actual departures to distinguish more from the connecting trains

I'm nearly sure it has too. Talking to someone else who here who's nearly sure he saw lots of weekend trains going to/from GCD. You think they were always changing at Connolly, and the only difference is bold?

They're also still making adjustments . For example , the new DART timetable has a rosslare bound train going northbound towards Dundalk so they said they'll be updating the timetable for that .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

They were always in bold, I got the PDF before it was made public and it's identical to the one on the site currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is there any operational reason for Maynooth and Northern Commuter trains not to serve Tara and Pearse off peak and at weekends?

I suppose they are removed from the north south trainline

• Advertisement

They're also still making adjustments . For example , the new DART timetable has a rosslare bound train going northbound towards Dundalk so they said they'll be updating the timetable for that .

That's the 05.45 ex Rosslare which has been running to Dundalk for years and is also on the old timetable.

No the mistake they made is the 09:30 Connolly rosslare is on the dart timetable (page 38) as heading towards Dundalk. Even says to rosslare on the timetable but has departure times on Drogheda and dundalk , looks as if it's heading towards belfast!

Here's the original Maynooth line timetable without the bolded parts

No the mistake they made is the 09:30 Connolly rosslare is on the dart timetable (page 38) as heading towards Dundalk. Even says to rosslare on the timetable but has departure times on Drogheda and dundalk , looks as if it's heading towards belfast!

The train time is and running is actually correct, just a typo for the destination, that's the 09.30 to Belfast.

Here's the original Maynooth line timetable without the bolded parts

Interesting, the one I have is same as currently on line (which I have before was on line), so someone obviously uploaded a perhaps earlier version until it was copped.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote:
    The train time is and running is actually correct, just a typo for the destination, that's the 09.30 to Belfast.

Ah okay, that's where I got confused. Because the 09:33 Connolly rosslare is not on the timetable either.

Ah okay, that's where I got confused. Because the 09:33 Connolly rosslare is not on the timetable either.

It is, on p6.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

It must be fierce difficult to design timetable - the railway here have only had over 180 years to get it right. I note as usual the that the pdf timetables are cluttered with token Irish claptrap and unnecessary symbols all over the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It must be fierce difficult to design timetable - the railway here have only had over 180 years to get it right. I note as usual the that the pdf timetables are cluttered with token Irish claptrap and unnecessary symbols all over the place.

100% they need to be more user friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »

I think they’re lovely, aesthetically pleasing.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

NTA: Padding in the timetable is not a problem, we're grand with it.

Me wrote:
    I see the new 10 minute frequency timetable have appeared online. While more frequent services are to be welcomed. i note the time from Bray to Tara street has gone up to 43 minutes now. Compared to 35 minutes originally. How can the NTA stand behind such an increase in travel time with the proposed timetable? Will there be any push back from the NTA to Irish Rail to restore journey times to previous and remove excessive padding from the timetables?
    NTA wrote:
    Dear C_M

We refer to your email on 30 August 2018 to the National Transport Authority regarding Iarnród Éireann DART services.

DART services form part of the network of subsidised rail passenger services provided under a public service contract with the Authority. No changes to rail services can be made without the approval of the Authority.

The Authority has approved a new timetable of services on DART with a number of additional and associated changes to rail services. The timetables include adjustments to the intermediate timings on individual services to better reflect the operational requirements of an expanded network of services not only on DART but also on commuter and intercity rail services. The changes to the intermediate timings follow a detailed analysis of DART running times undertaken by Iarnród Éireann.

Thank you for bringing this issue to the attention of the Authority.

Yours sincerely
    Operational requirements...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

NTA: Padding in the timetable is not a problem, we're grand with it.

Operational requirements...

I would love to think that it would be revised following a bedding in period to reduce padding. However, I suspect that in less than 3 months, it will be increased.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

LEIN wrote: »
    I would love to think that it would be revised following a bedding in period to reduce padding. However, I suspect that in less than 3 months, it will be increased.

Although they can't win really though can they with padding? On this thread you have people unhappy with too much padding and a few posts down in the forum there is one about DARTs always being late which indicates they don't have enough.

devnull wrote: »
    Although they can't win really though can they with padding? On this thread you have people unhappy with too much padding and a few posts down in the forum there is one about DARTs always being late which indicates they don't have enough.

well the problem is they are not meeting what was manageable in the past not that there is too much padding or that the timetable is to tight. if they could be 8 mins faster in the 80s, having only added GCD since then why are they so much slower now? It's the same all over the network...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

well the problem is they are not meeting what was manageable in the past not that there is too much padding or that the timetable is to tight. if they could be 8 mins faster in the 80s, having only added GCD since then why are they so much slower now? It's the same all over the network...

Well the driver change at Clontarf can't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

if they could be 8 mins faster in the 80s, having only added GCD since then why are they so much slower now? It's the same all over the network...

I suspect the network is carrying far more trains and passengers now than it was in the 80s. That means more dwell time in stations, more clearance needed between trains and more conflicts at points. Heath and safety rules have changed a lot since then too. All of those will have an impact on speed and throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I travel DART to and from Greystones 5 days a week.
    DARTs running late is not due to padding or lack of. I have given my opinion on this in the past and it was unpopular, I won't go there again. Some regular users will have seen the many inefficiencies.

Well the driver change at Clontarf can't help.

since when is Clontarf between Tara st and Bray?
    ;)

markpb wrote: »
    I suspect the network is carrying far more trains and passengers now than it was in the 80s. That means more dwell time in stations, more clearance needed between trains and more conflicts at points. Heath and safety rules have changed a lot since then too. All of those will have an impact on speed and throughout.

but balance that with improved signalling and systems reducing the headway required. Newer stock with better acceleration and braking profiles, more carriages meaning more doors meaning more entry points for faster loading...

LEIN wrote: »
    I travel DART to and from Greystones 5 days a week.
    DARTs running late is not due to padding or lack of. I have given my opinion on this in the past and it was unpopular, I won't go there again. Some regular users will have seen the many inefficiencies.

Go for it. Embrace the hate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

but balance that with improved signalling and systems reducing the headway required. Newer stock with better acceleration and braking profiles, more carriages meaning more doors meaning more entry points for faster loading...

Doesnt change the core issue though: 4 lines, one chokepoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

So DART drivers not happy about tea breaks then?

I'm sure the disruptive behaviour doesn't have the company or customer in mind!

The major problem with DART today is the now permeant TSRs in place on the route, 10 minute schedule could work more efficiently if speed restrictions were removed and those level crossings closed but they should start with the TSR.

One example the 10mph into 5/6/7 at Connolly causes trains to slow down much sooner than they should and holding up those departing Tara.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So DART drivers not happy about tea breaks then?

I'm sure the disruptive behaviour doesn't have the company or customer in mind!

There's a bit more to this than "tea breaks" (we shall leave that argument to the LUAS drivers :)) and in fairness I would not call it disruptive behaviour either, there are two parties at play here and indications (from the WRC perspective anyway) is blame is not always one sided.

GM228 wrote: »
    There's a bit more to this than "tea breaks" (we shall leave that argument to the LUAS drivers :)) and in fairness I would not call it disruptive behaviour either, there are two parties at play here and indications (from the WRC perspective anyway) is blame is not always one sided.

Yep. From what I heard they may be some merit in their grievance.
    Still no white smoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Ah lads, stop teasing us!! :)

Advertisement