Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday pay

Options
  • 29-11-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

My younger brother is working part time and has had no holiday pay or holiday time off in the one and a half years he is there , he has got a contract stating 8% of his hours would be given as holidays. So I'm wondering does he have any options or does he write off his holiday pay for the first 6 months of employment he has been an employed since July of last year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Did he get paid anything extra which might have been holiday pay for the 8%?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

My younger brother is working part time and has had no holiday pay or holiday time off in the one and a half years he is there , he has got a contract stating 8% of his hours would be given as holidays. So I'm wondering does he have any options or does he write off his holiday pay for the first 6 months of employment he has been an employed since July of last year.

The 8.4% is used for part time workers, he should check firstly if the contract permits holidays to be carried forward into the following calender year. If not he should take the holiday entitlement now. Depending on the "carry over " rule applicable he may have already lost the July to Dec 2016 holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

tina1040 wrote: »
    Did he get paid anything extra which might have been holiday pay for the 8%?

No he hasn't had a penny of holiday pay at any stage since he started

secman wrote: »
    The 8.4% is used for part time workers, he should check firstly if the contract permits holidays to be carried forward into the following calender year. If not he should take the holiday entitlement now. Depending on the "carry over " rule applicable he may have already lost the July to Dec 2016 holidays.

Yeah had a feeling this was the case and seems wrong that this was pulled on him because he is in college and hasn't rocked the boat too much because he needs the job so he can afford to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

alot of companies have a `use it or loose it` holiday policy so it might not be a case that this was pulled on him . best thing is to ask the employer. It might also have been paid out in his last 2016 pay period.

• Advertisement

alot of companies have a `use it or loose it` holiday policy so it might not be a case that this was pulled on him . best thing is to ask the employer. It might also have been paid out in his last 2016 pay period.

Well I kinda think it was because his employers seem very dogdey at times and he has all his pay slips at home with no holiday pay on any of them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

the fact he actually got a contract sounds as if the employers might be doing something correct. Many many part time workers never get a contract, and especially dodgy employers will try to avoid handing out contracts. Best thing imo is he asks the employer and makes sure he doesn't loose the 2017 holiday funds as well. As I said, many employers have a use it or loose it policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

He simply needs to speak to his HR/Management and ask about it.

Advertisement