Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work experience

• 29-11-2017 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

so am having trouble finding a trainee role ... Or any for that matter. I completed the accounting technician exams in June but find experience to be a deciding factor. Does anyone know the best way about getting work experience, am willing to do it for free.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 sowdublin

Delta1138 wrote: »
    so am having trouble finding a trainee role ... Or any for that matter. I completed the accounting technician exams in June but find experience to be a deciding factor. Does anyone know the best way about getting work experience, am willing to do it for free.

Been there a few years ago. Signed up to do ACCA exams, but noone would employ me for trainee role, even for free.

This is the approach I used and it worked for me. I made a list of all accountancy firms / audit practice firms within a certain radius of my home and rang each and every one of them personally asking for work. Most of them turned me away. One person gave me words of encouragement even though he didn't have any role for me at the time that I was doing the right thing by ringing around.

Hopefully it works for you too and good luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭royalcarlowgc

If you are in the Dublin area and are still looking for experience please PM me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

sowdublin wrote: »
    Been there a few years ago. Signed up to do ACCA exams, but noone would employ me for trainee role, even for free.

This is the approach I used and it worked for me. I made a list of all accountancy firms / audit practice firms within a certain radius of my home and rang each and every one of them personally asking for work. Most of them turned me away. One person gave me words of encouragement even though he didn't have any role for me at the time that I was doing the right thing by ringing around.

Hopefully it works for you too and good luck with the search!

I did the exact same thing. I did a course in Business and Accounting. I found it difficult to obtain a role via the usual job boards. I then did a few cold calls in Athlone, Roscommon, Moate and a few other towns. I landed a job in Roscommon.

So persistence is key and ring companies, even pay them a visit if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

I'll be honest lads I did an interview with an agency in Dublin and they said not to bother looking for anything in Dublin, there's loads of opportunities but to be taken seriously you would have to live there and being on 18k p/a I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Then today I got an email rejecting me from a local practice, it said pretty much there is a lot of far better candidates than me.

Then also I posted out 17 cvs two weeks ago and I got a letter saying no and a phone call saying nope.

Tbh you lads have more experience, is the iati course worth the paper it's written in? Or should I go back for a degree?

Am kinda feeling worried that I wasted all that time and money.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

...Tbh you lads have more experience, is the iati course worth the paper it's written in?....

I literally only completed a Cert. in Business and Accounting in June OF this year. I started cold calling the same month looking for work experience in the area of Accountancy. I secured a position at minimum wage in Roscommon. Now I work from home for an Accounting firm/Start Up based in Limerick on a much better wage.

You have to be persistent, contacting Accountancy Firms who aren't even hiring, outlining your needs and work experience requirements. The first crowd I was taken on by wasn't even hiring. They took me on for 3 months to give me experience and had to let me go as they couldn't afford to give me the time and attention I needed for the purpose of learning on the job with the October deadline approaching.

Now I'm getting tons of experience dealing with Payroll and dealing with the CRO/Revenue.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest lads I did an interview with an agency in Dublin and they said not to bother looking for anything in Dublin, there's loads of opportunities but to be taken seriously you would have to live there and being on 18k p/a I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Then today I got an email rejecting me from a local practice, it said pretty much there is a lot of far better candidates than me.

Then also I posted out 17 cvs two weeks ago and I got a letter saying no and a phone call saying nope.

Tbh you lads have more experience, is the iati course worth the paper it's written in? Or should I go back for a degree?

Am kinda feeling worried that I wasted all that time and money.

I'm quite surprised to be honest as there are lots and lots of jobs out there and IATI is a very respectable qualification. You can build up on IATI to qualify as an ACA or ACCA as you get lots of exemptions.

You have to be patient and keep trying till you find one. Another point to note, I would rather not snail-mail my CVs as it costs more, most of them don't even look at the CV and most importantly there's always the threat of your privacy and personal details being compromised as you really don't know who's getting hands on your CV.

sowdublin wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised to be honest as there are lots and lots of jobs out there and IATI is a very respectable qualification. You can build up on IATI to qualify as an ACA or ACCA as you get lots of exemptions.

You have to be patient and keep trying till you find one. Another point to note, I would rather not snail-mail my CVs as it costs more, most of them don't even look at the CV and most importantly there's always the threat of your privacy and personal details being compromised as you really don't know who's getting hands on your CV.

In this day and age of email and mobile, I don't see a need anymore to send snail mail. An email can be sent and received instantly, then within 2/3 if no response has been received, follow up with a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 decky84

Hi folks

I’m in the same boat as opening poster at the moment. Finding it impossible to get the break (looking for work in Kerry/Limerick Area). One was willing to give me job but didn’t think I could survive on the €18k, another was offering 22k in Shannon (90mins) from me but said although good candidate they said commute too far. I have even offered to work for one firm for free for two months if they would take chance. It’s beginning to get me down at moment as I can’t see any light at end of tunnel. I recently completed a course in manual and computerised payroll to to see if it would help. I’m beginning to think is my age a factor I have just turned 33 have come from Hospitality and Sales background earning over €30k
    Any advice? Have contacted load of local firm and company’s in in industry as well as hotel groups etc

My only advice would be to call potential employers. At what stage are you in in your training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭Delta1138

Just a quick update that I did get a job.

I posted out CVs in November and I got an email about a week ago to do an interview Tuesday. So I did it and it went really well, the guy said he would of hired me there and then except he had to ask the partner who did the interview with him what she thought.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update that I did get a job.

I posted out CVs in November and I got an email about a week ago to do an interview Tuesday. So I did it and it went really well, the guy said he would of hired me there and then except he had to ask the partner who did the interview with him what she thought.

Congratulations and All the Best!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Chasing Cars

Is this for Practice or Industry?
    Also where do you live ie where are you looking for the work?

Is this for Practice or Industry?
    Also where do you live ie where are you looking for the work?

Why do you know of somewhere? I am also on the lookout for job in this sector or at least work experience.

decky84 wrote: »
    Why do you know of somewhere? I am also on the lookout for job in this sector or at least work experience.

I don't know any at the moment however we occasionally need temp accountancy staff that are paid. We have also taken on interns

It is Dublin

I don't know any at the moment however we occasionally need temp accountancy staff that are paid. We have also taken on interns

It is Dublin

Thanks but I'm on the Limerick / Kerry border so Dublin wouldn't be viable

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Spacemonkey124

Hello everyone I am also seeking some advice.I am an acca student having taken my first exam aprox. 19 months ago.So far I have passed 8 f level papers having self studied them all at home.I have 1 f level exam left in march before moving on to professional papers.I have no experience in accountancy and my computer skills in excel,word etc wouldn't be great.would I be better off sitting the exam in march or try to gain experience.could I expect to get a paid position?any advice would be appreciated.

Hello everyone I am also seeking some advice.I am an acca student having taken my first exam aprox. 19 months ago.So far I have passed 8 f level papers having self studied them all at home.I have 1 f level exam left in march before moving on to professional papers.I have no experience in accountancy and my computer skills in excel,word etc wouldn't be great.would I be better off sitting the exam in march or try to gain experience.could I expect to get a paid position?any advice would be appreciated.

hi I had the opposite problem 15 years of accountancy experience and no qualification.

I have just spent the last 4 years getting the exams and now only have three to go.

If you can afford to just get your exams out of the way I would do that. It is hard to juggle both.

Thanks for the reply.cost would be a factor especially with the p level exams maybe being more difficult to pass first time also might need to take classes for these.dont think I would mind juggling both as I have no other big commitment s also I need to gain 3 years experience to be fully qualified with acca so would it not be better to get 1 to 1.5 years experience now while completing the exams?

Thanks for the reply.cost would be a factor especially with the p level exams maybe being more difficult to pass first time also might need to take classes for these.dont think I would mind juggling both as I have no other big commitment s also I need to gain 3 years experience to be fully qualified with acca so would it not be better to get 1 to 1.5 years experience now while completing the exams?

I forgot about the 3year thing as I had that before I opened a book and therefore it was not an issue.

In that case try and get a Job with an employer where your line manager/the FC is a qualified accountant. That way they are more likely to give you the experience you need for the performance objectives.

I have no idea about being able to get a Job but I will be honest I interviewed someone that had little to no experience yet was nearly a qualified accountant and it went against her!

I work full time, doing my last two P subjects with a toddler at home. It is difficult I agree to study and work at the same time. But many of them have followed the same route. I suggest you get a job which helps you with your performance objectives and study alongside. That'll help you gain valuable experience if and when you want to move on.

• Advertisement

with no experience I am unsure what positions to apply for.alot of the trainee accountancy positions require a degree which I never completed and a minimum of 1 yrs experience.I am thinking about ringing some of the firms in my area to gain some months experience but expect this would be unpaid so wouldnt be ideal.

Advertisement