Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What madness is this?

Options
  • 29-11-2017 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I'm looking to sort broadband (and phone though it's not really required) for my parents house.

Went onto the website and looked at the bundles & decided the broadband and landline would be sufficient (See "Bundle Offer" image) @ €35 rising to €40.

Carried on to "Check Availability" & entered number. Now, as expected, was informed that fibre is not available (See "Number Check" image).

Was instead offered an alternative (See "Alternative Offer" image).

So, I'm under no illusions here on the line. I'm aware of the distance from exchange, etc. being limiting factors and, as I said above, was not surprised to find a lower speed is all that can be achieved. I am fine with the speeds being offered - in fact I kind of expected worse.

However what I'm extremely surprised at is the pricing of the alternative - €56 pm rising to €76. That's nearly double the price :eek::eek::eek:

Can someone please explain why an inferior product costs almost twice as much? Can I get the lower bundle pricing for the 12mb that is available?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭grebtol2

I'm looking to sort broadband (and phone though it's not really required) for my parents house.

Went onto the website and looked at the bundles & decided the broadband and landline would be sufficient (See "Bundle Offer" image) @ €35 rising to €40.

Carried on to "Check Availability" & entered number. Now, as expected, was informed that fibre is not available (See "Number Check" image).

So, I'm under no illusions here on the line. I'm aware of the distance from exchange, etc. being limiting factors and, as I said above, was not surprised to find a lower speed is all that can be achieved. I am fine with the speeds being offered - in fact I kind of expected worse.

However what I'm extremely surprised at is the pricing of the alternative - €56 pm rising to €76. That's nearly double the price :eek::eek::eek:

Can someone please explain why an inferior product costs almost twice as much? Can I get the lower bundle pricing for the 12mb that is available?

I'm unable to get fibre but the alternative offer for me was the exact same as the landing page offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

Any chance someone could have a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭eir: Adam

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. If you PM me your eircode I'll look into this for you.

- Adam

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. If you PM me your eircode I'll look into this for you.

- Adam

Sorry, was offline for a few days - PM sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

eir: Adam wrote: »
    Hi there,

- Adam

Sorry, was offline for a few days - PM sent.
    No problem. 

Thanks, Adam will come back to you soon through PM's.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement

So, over a week has passed since I supplied the requested eircode and followed up with the landline number and...nothing...a vague response to say it's being looked into when I queried after a number of days. Another PM sent yesterday requesting an answer hasn't even been acknowledged!

I need an answer on this now! There is an active line to the house. The website line checker states that broadband, albeit not fibre speed, is available.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Is this what eir consider adequate customer service?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I was paying the same for 1.7 mbps speed and a phone line I don't use, If the speed I had was anywhere close to 12 mbps I would have stayed with them.
    There is no point arguing with them, I was a loyal customer for years, no use
    I disconnected the line and got 4G, much better speed and service.
    Try 4G or fixed wireless broadband or Imagine or something similar
    I have a similar thread

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057793869

I have no idea what the real speed on that line will be - this is a concern but at the moment the landline is there, although it is not heavily used, so may as well get some use out of it by adding broadband on.

At this stage it's not looking like it will be eir due to my experience.

Messages and posts have been ignored. The question wasn't even on the availability of the service but of a particular pricing option ffs.

If you need a landline, you can get VOIP, much cheaper than ordinary landline

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Fair enough but I'm not sure if the broadband will support it - what speed would be needed? What would you use for VOIP? It would need to be economical for Irish & UK landlines and mobiles.

I think the best options atm are either broadband only or mobile broadband, both from Vodafone. Not sure on the data caps on the mobile broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Fair enough but I'm not sure if the broadband will support it - what speed would be needed? What would you use for VOIP? It would need to be economical for Irish & UK landlines and mobiles.

I think the best options atm are either broadband only or mobile broadband, both from Vodafone. Not sure on the data caps on the mobile broadband.
    Hi Lochlannach, 

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you. 

Adam has responded to your PM there now. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

I am with Goldfish, it works fine, for your questions go to their website and/or contact them
    Put in google Goldfish Voip, it will take you there, it isn't the only company, I don't know if it is the best, you can go to VOIP section in this forum

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Take a look here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=542

It seems eir is changing the price, go to eir website bundles and get into chat, they will give you better price
    Edited to say, if they don't give you a price €35 /month to start with, disconnect the line and start as a new customer

Advertisement